Aunkai striking video

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Aunkai striking video

Postby Ashura on Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:31 am

Subitai wrote:A bullet is small but why is it deadly? = speed.

To use my favorite analogy:
However this is a bullet but not the Gun. It's only a weapon or tool but you still need the ability to launch it or more appropriately...you still need to set it up.

The Gun is your ability to set up your opponent in order to be able to use your bullets. With out this, the best strikes in the world are mostly ineffective.

I really like your analogy and would like to borrow it for some comments.

First of all, there are different kind of bullets (shape, material and properties) even if we only consider the 9mm one which is very common, some 9mm bullets are deadly in 90% of the cases whereever they "land" while the most basic ones are deadly only, if and when, they strike a vital area of the body, whatever the speed.

In my unit, we use a 9mm starshaped bullet which has the property to "expand" inside the body inflicting major damages in several parts, while the bullets we used back in the days used to go through the target without stopping and thus carrying on. As a matter of fact, an innocent got killed 10 years ago or so because one those bullets had gone through the intended target (who did not die by the way) and killed somebody who, unfortuanately, was behind the bad guy but still in the fire line.

Speed alone is not enough, you can be very fast but still have a punching power which won´t allow you to kill a fly or a mosquito.

But there is more:

Without the gun, a bullet is of very little use since you need one to potentially turn the bullet into a lethal device. The gun´s mechanism is rather simple and works very well but you still need somebody to hold the gun and you would better hold it the right way if you want to have some success.

To correctly hold a gun, you need a good body posture, whatever the one you choose, and then to use it effectively you have to be able to aim correctly and to align both sights in the direction of the intended target. Last but not least, the finger pulling the trigger must be soft enough not to force the trigger thus creating a deviating effect which can cause a lot of trouble like completely missing the target and injuring or killing somebody.

Of course, you need to be able to do all this in a very, very, very short time when things are not going the right way which is, of course, very difficult to do especially in so called "real situations".

I see a very nice analogy with striking: good and correct posture, internal mechanism (body alignment), ability to aim and to deliver the strike into the target with maximum impact in one unforced, fluid movement. Speed is only the resulting consequence of all of the above described element. The hand,in turn, becomes the bullet.

Now, a Human being is definetely not a gun. The gun´s internal mechanism won´t fail you if the owner has been taking properly care of his/her tool. The shooter is the only one to blaim if he/she misses.

While a good body posture is relatively easy to get with time, the internal mechanism is quite a challenge and takes thousand of hours of solo and partner practice before it´s yours. The purpose is to build such an internal mechanism, to master it and to carry on training it relentlessly throughout the years. This is how the limbs become like bullets, not the classical but rather the deadly one.

Exactly as a good bullet explodes in the target creating a lot of damage, a good strike is felt all over the body, is painful to the receiver and should have the ability to shorten the fight. A strike which stays on the surface is indeed of little use exactly like a bullet which can not prevent an aggressor from coming at you. Imagine somebody rushing towards you with an axe, a knife or a machete, you succeed in shooting him but the impact is not effective enough to stop him and you end up getting killed even thought you did everything "the right way". It has already happened before.

So this is how I see a correct strike in any martial system worth of that name. Good "outside" body posture, effective "internal alignment" creating the conditions to strike effectivly, speed being the result of the combination of the "internal/external" work.

To apply those skills with some success against a non compliant person, you need strategy, guidance and experience but you still need to work on your body before that.
See where there is no shape, hear where there is no sound.

Väck ej björnen som sover.
Ashura
Mingjing

Postby ctjla on Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:04 am

asiawide wrote:
wayne hansen wrote:I would like to see him sparing to see if he can generate the same power on a consistent real time basis

He doesn't(or veeeerrry minimal) use winding or some pre-setup for punching&kicking. He may lose at ring. But I don't wanna mess up with him on street.

Jaemin

Yes, messing with him on the street -- not something I want to do either. Add to that...probably not everyone is aware that Akuzawa has a valid full contact record.
Last edited by ctjla on Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
ctjla
Santi

Postby ctjla on Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:11 am

wayne hansen wrote:It is the street where I think that type of power generation might be found wanting

While he does have a valid full contact record, his ability to hit at almost inconceivable angles with absolutely no windup is what makes him even more terrifying. :) His internal mechanics have done nothing but improve his already proven combative skills.

A lot of his short range stuff does fall into the - it has to be felt (seen) category though. I didn't really appreciate it until I saw him in Tokyo.
ctjla
Santi

Postby Ashura on Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:29 am

ctjla wrote:
Yes, messing with him on the street -- not something I want to do either. Add to that...probably not everyone is aware that Akuzawa has a valid full contact record.

He does a valid full contact record but stresses the fact that he had no knowledge of the current skills he now displays at that time, even though he often credits his Sanda teacher for partly "shaping" the unbelievable martial artist he has become.

Knowing this, one can really realize the amount of work it took to get that far and I have got the feeling that it is not over yet.
See where there is no shape, hear where there is no sound.

Väck ej björnen som sover.
Ashura
Mingjing

Previous

Return to Video Links