Tai Chi Chuan Push Hands Techniques — Master Yu Cheng Hsiang

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Tai Chi Chuan Push Hands Techniques — Master Yu Cheng Hsiang

Postby marvin8 on Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:44 am

Master Yu was born in 1929 in Shanghai, China.

As a young boy, he studied Shaolin Chuan with Hou Zheng Chi. He went to Taiwan in 1949 and first studied Tai Chi Chuan with Lee Sou Chin. When Master Lee passed away, he became a disciple of Cheng Man Ching to further his studies. He came to United States in 1979 and have been teaching Tai Chi Chuan in New York and New Jersey since then.

Published on Jan 6, 2017
Master Yu Cheng Hsiang(余振祥 1929 - 2010)
Cheng Tzu Tai Chi Push Hands(鄭子太極推手)

According to the original 13 movements of tai chi chuan to operate pushing hands skill.

The detail as:
- To explain the first 4 words (movements) with 5 positions of the original 13 movements, Ward-off, roll back, press push and with front, back, center, left, right.
- How to practice single hand and double hands skills.
- This video is to let you know how to get at correct and basic principles of skill in pushing hands techniques:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdR_7vh5HOk
marvin8
Wuji

Re: Tai Chi Chuan Push Hands Techniques — Master Yu Cheng Hsiang

Postby Steve James on Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:14 am

Did you ever go to his study down near B'way in NY? If you did, do you remember the stairs? and "Tai chi is not soft." :)
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:45 pm

Steve James wrote:Did you ever go to his study down near B'way in NY? If you did, do you remember the stairs? and "Tai chi is not soft." :)

No. I never heard of him before. Were there code violations? :) Like they say you have to feel, before making judgments.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:02 pm

Code violations :) Naw, it was just an interesting loft studio where he taught back in the day. I think that tape is from the 80s; so, it just brought back NYC tcc memories.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby mfinn on Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:42 pm

I studied with Master Yu for about 25 years, right up to the day he died. Two days before he was throwing me all over the studio and laughing in a good natured way. I started out with Cheng Mn-Ching's people in 1970 or so when he had his place on the Bowery. Then Wm C.C.Chen, a little bit with T.T. Liang and some others. Master yu was the best. In destructible. Invulnerable. The best. This video is from the late 1970s. He only got better, way better from this.
mfinn
Santi

Postby jjy5016 on Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:41 am

I remember all of those stairs. He used to give some great lectures after practice was over. Wanted people to continue standing while they listened to him not to lie on the floor or just sit. Said that sometimes his teachers made him stand for the whole 2 hour shaolin class on one foot and that when he worked in China in a sewing shop everyone had to stand for 14 hours. If you sat in your chair the foreman would send you home because you were tired. He reinforced my belief in standing practice.

I saw him let a guy who was about 200 lbs literally do a pull up on his outstretched arm when he was 62 or 63. Never saw anyone able to do that since. I think the student's name was Mario.

Had a scary temper too but then again so did a lot of the great ones.
"I kew evibady. I squeegee him - like dis. STAND me?"
I'm always careful to lift the seat when IP
jjy5016
Great Old One

Return to Video Links