Chen Village: Chen Taijiquan Training

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Chen Village: Chen Taijiquan Training

Postby marvin8 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:24 am

marvin8
Wuji

Re: Chen Village: Chen Taijiquan Training

Postby windwalker on Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:39 am

your thoughts on the training?
windwalker
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:06 am

windwalker wrote:your thoughts on the training?

My thoughts are: this is an excerpt of Chen Taijiquan training by Chen Bing Taiji Academy, in 2016 at Chenjiagou, which is approved by Chen Bing.

What are your thoughts on the training?
Last edited by marvin8 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:09 am

Doesn't seem much different from any other type of training. why call it taiji?
windwalker
Wuji

Postby charles on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:21 am

The second video is a repeat of the last portion of the first video. No need to watch the second one.
charles
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:23 am

windwalker wrote:Doesn't seem much different from any other type of training. why call it taiji?

Chen Bing uses the word Taiji and this is an excerpt of his training, per the video.

Do you not approve of this type of training? If so, what is taiji training? I am not understanding you completely.
Last edited by marvin8 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:31 am

marvin8 wrote:
windwalker wrote:Doesn't seem much different from any other type of training. why call it taiji?

Chen Bing uses the word Taiji and this is an excerpt of his training, per the video.

Do you not approve of this type of training? If so, what is taiji training? I am not understanding you completely.

Its not whether I approve or disapprove.
The question one might ask themselves if they feel it accords with what is written by past masters of taiji and within their own experience.

Regarding the clip, can you or anyone point out what specifically makes it unique enough to be
called taiji. I don’t see much. This is not to say the training is not good or useful.

Is it conductive to learning what “taiji” is and means and how this applied in a combative setting.
I don’t feel this type of training would lead one to understand it...others might find different.
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby charles on Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:51 am

windwalker wrote:Regarding the clip, can you or anyone point out what specifically makes it unique enough to be
called taiji. I don’t see much.

Is it conductive to learning what “taiji” is and means and how this applied in a combative setting.
I don’t feel this type of training would lead one to understand it...others might find different.

Regardless of the videos in the OP, what, in your opinion, does something sufficiently "unique" to be called Taijiquan look like? Post a video of it, please. Ditto for something "conducive" to learning what Taijiquan is and means and how it is applied in a combative setting.

That begs the question, of course, that people can agree on what Taijiquan is (in a combative setting) or how it should be trained. (As you know, the modern focus in the Village is largely on a grappling/wrestling format.)
charles
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:28 am

Actually I didn't know that which is why I commented on the videos .
I believe you practice Chen style Tai Chi you've already noted that the focus of the practice as shown in the clips is oriented towards the newer formats available.
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby charles on Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:53 pm

windwalker wrote:Actually I didn't know that which is why I commented on the videos .

It's been discussed here many times, including videos of those teaching and competing.

you've already noted that the focus of the practice as shown in the clips is oriented towards the newer formats available.

Actually, I didn't say that. You inferred that that is the focus of the training shown in the video. Some of it might be, some of it might not.
charles
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:23 pm

It's been discussed here many times, including videos of those teaching and competing.

Never paid much attention to what they do in Chen village,
I see no need to further the discussion.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:39 pm

Running a large commercial martial arts school is just like any other type of business, which is all about appealing to the customer base in order to turn a profit and keep it running. That's why I think some of the training seen in the video has more to do with "what the students approve" rather than "what Chen Bing approves." ;)
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:06 am

C.J.W. wrote:Running a large commercial martial arts school is just like any other type of business, which is all about appealing to the customer base in order to turn a profit and keep it running. That's why I think some of the training seen in the video has more to do with "what the students approve" rather than "what Chen Bing approves." ;)

They sell what they can sell and address what is in and popular. They use a name and sell it any way they can get the most money.

If you want to teach hip hop dance, why not just use the name hip hop. It would be strange to call it ballet just because it sounds better. But that's exactly how they sell things in China. Everything that matter is the surface and what's beneath it doesn't matter.

IMO, Chen village tai chi is a sad story, because if you really want to learn an art that is old, original and is an advanced form of martial art, this place is the very last place you should visit. Still they call their art "the original tai chi". Sure, if you want to visit some marketing genius jerks, go ahead and spend some time in the "village". >:(
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:30 am

Interestingly they don't seem very 'sad' - in fact they seem to be quite enjoying it, unbothered by what rsf thinks of them...
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:30 am

-pee-
Last edited by Bao on Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Next

Return to Video Links