Flying Monk Ep 23 - Gordon Tso and Song Xingyiquan

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Flying Monk Ep 23 - Gordon Tso and Song Xingyiquan

Postby lineofintent on Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:04 pm

Flying Monk Talk Show episode 23

Sifu Gordon Tso disciple of Song family Xingyiquan, interview and training footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJjOzH3 ... e=youtu.be

happy viewing!

Alex
lineofintent
Wuji

Re: Flying Monk Ep 23 - Gordon Tso and Song Xingyiquan

Postby shawnsegler on Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:08 pm

Always a pleasure, Alex.

Just out of curiosity. I don't suppose this book that the progenitors of Song Hsing-i, used to develop their difference in power generation from standard Hebei Hsing-i is available for perusal by the public? :)

I'm sure they keep it close, but as my mom taught me as a boy- "It never hurts to ask".

Cheers,

S.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby lineofintent on Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:12 pm

Thanks Shawn !

Yes the Song clan keep the scrolls in their school, just how much is open and how much kept for inside the door is a good question !

They are still very conservative in certain aspects, but much more open than previous generations.
lineofintent
Wuji

Postby nicklinjm on Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:05 pm

If you are talking about the 4 Neigong Classics (Neigong Si Jing), the text of the Classics is freely available online and is also included in several books on Xingyi (including the books written by my grand-teacher Song Guanghua, which I guess makes me Gordon's kungfu brother). As usual with martial arts classics, the wording is in Classical Chinese and is pretty vague, so unless someone from the Song family tells you what each sentence means, you will have no clue as to how it should actually apply to your practice.
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby nicklinjm on Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:51 am

Just finished watching the video, thanks so much to Alex and Gordon for putting together such a great vid promoting Song style, Gordon puts it into words much better than I ever could :)

So nice to see footage of shiye Song Guanghua, also Zhao Chuanhui and Song Baogui - had to laugh at the story of shiye's fajin in the elevator, so typical!

Btw, the guy in blue practicing in the middle of the video is Sun Qian, very good fajin and spear work, hope to meet him again soon ~
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby lineofintent on Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:40 am

Thanks a lot Jon, happy to hear your practice of Song style is going well.....

Your blog has some of the best information out there on the internet, hope you keep posting more !
lineofintent
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:11 pm

Gordon talks about training a lot of things and seems quite young
Anyone know how long he has trained song
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby lineofintent on Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:57 pm

hi Wayne

the kempo , tkd etc was much earlier in life, he practiced Taijiquan with a very good teacher starting as a young man, then many years of Baguazhang and Hebei XYQ (close student of C S Tang)...he met Sigung Song in 2009 and began serious daily training of Song style Xingyiquan since then.

He is in his fifties now, although looks much younger, and has a very clear internal force from practice of Song style which he didn't have before - we were friends long before 2009 so i was able to see the clear changes.
lineofintent
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:13 am

Yes he looks so young I wondered how he fitted so much in
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby lineofintent on Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:21 am

Gordon is 58 :-)
lineofintent
Wuji

Postby JS76 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:17 am

I had the pleasure of training with Sifu Gordon Tso when he was here recently in London. He was very generous with his teaching and the depth of his knowledge of Song family Xingyiquan was clear to see. This is a really fascinating style with very clear steps to develop your skill and the signature internal power that Song family XYQ is famous for. We are fortunate to have the opportunity to learn the art in the UK through Alex Kozma and through his teachers who we hope to bring over to the UK more and more.
JS76
Santi

Return to Video Links