Wheelchair Tai Chi

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Wheelchair Tai Chi

Postby Steve Rowe on Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:13 am

A bit of wheelchair Tai Chi I did in 2015 between having my knee removed and leg fused.

If you see someone without a smile - give 'em one of yours...
Steve Rowe
Wuji

Re: Wheelchair Tai Chi

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:21 pm

Nothing wrong with what you are doing here Steve
However I think if you are developing sitting tai chi you need to start from scratch
Press for instance the way you are using it is against your opponents groin from an impractical distance
The wheelchair should become part of your body in both application and exercise
I don't know how to do this but I do know just doing the form sitting is maybe not the best way to go
Good luck this could be a valuable journey
When my mother in law started using one of those zimmerframes with wheels I developed a whole set of exercises based on its use
It was based on walking 4 hands and Ta lu
I never taught it at her care home due to legal ramifications but the development of it was useful just the same
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Steve Rowe on Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:46 pm

Appreciate the feedback Wayne. This was temporary for me focusing on the core work to keep my 'vitality' going whilst the intravenous antibiotics worked on a life threatening infection. TBH I didn't give a thought to application.
If you see someone without a smile - give 'em one of yours...
Steve Rowe
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:56 pm

Might try to see if you can do what is shown

Grandmaster Wang Yongquan

Wang Yongquan, Chonglu's son, was interested in martial arts since childhood and when seven started to study Buku ("wrestling" in Manchu language) and became very sturdy and his movements were strong and vigorous. At the age of eight he often accompanied father to Yang's house. Mr.Jianhou liked Yongquan as he was a very bright kid and allowed him to learn martial art of yang family. Mr.Jianhou ordered him to accept Yang Chengfu, Jianhou's third son, as his master. Since then father and son often went to Yang's house in the western part of the capital to study martial art.

http://www.chinafrominside.com/ma/taiji/weishuren1.html

Some of his history, very interesting.
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:00 pm

Sitting down pushing is a rort at the best of times
This clip is just a circus act
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:10 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Sitting down pushing is a rort at the best of times
This clip is just a circus act

Do it, then comment.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:14 pm

Steve Rowe wrote:Appreciate the feedback Wayne. This was temporary for me focusing on the core work to keep my 'vitality' going whilst the intravenous antibiotics worked on a life threatening infection. TBH I didn't give a thought to application.

The clip posted shows many interesting demonstrations that if one is able to do, the applications are quite clear.
I believe at the time of the demo the teachers in his nineties.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:46 pm

I teach my students folding and change not holding static power then jumping backwards
Any student of mine knows if they did this sort of thing I would no longer teach them
These things can be worked on but it limits the skill development of both parties
As for the sitting down pushing I demonstrated it to both my students and outsiders when I first saw Huang doing it
At least he had a bit of skill at it unlike those doing it today
You now see every martial art doing it because they see it is a trick easy to do that makes the foolish think you have some skill
I would not put it on film because it demonstrates something that I think is of little skill
The only pushing I show is freestyle no rules
As I said to a student of another school who approached me in the park within the last year
Do whatever you want punch kick grapple and I will try to keep up
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:31 pm

These things can be worked on but it limits the skill development of both parties

I would suppose it depends on the skill itself as to weather one would find it limiting or not.

The magnitude of the moment of a force acting about a point or axis is directly proportinoal to the distance of the force from the point or axis. It is defined as the product of the force (F) and the moment arm (d). The moment arm or lever arm is the perpendicular distance between the line of action of the force and the center of moments.
Moment = Force x Distance or M = (F)(d)

The Center of Moments may be the actual point about which the force causes rotation. It may also be a reference point or axis about which the force may be considered as causing rotation. It does not matter as long as a specific point is always taken as the reference point. The latter case is much more common situation in structural design problems.

http://web.mit.edu/4.441/1_lectures/1_l ... ture5.html

For example understanding how this would fit into what was being shown and demonstrated.
I can do and use the same things in my work with those I work with to demonstrate what a "moment" is, how it can be produced,
and effects of it when its produced correctly.

As to usage or application, once the correct idea is understood and demonstrated, then types and usage of applications dependent on being able to do understand this are brought into play.

For Steve Rowe, this seems to be a little different idea then what he's introduced in other threads and what he's demoed in this thread.
Maybe its something he might find of interest
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:44 pm

wayne hansen wrote:I
As for the sitting down pushing I demonstrated it to both my students and outsiders when I first saw Huang doing it
At least he had a bit of skill at it unlike those doing it today

A " bit of skill" wow

Grandmaster Wang Yongquan, was a very famous teacher in his day.
The clip shown was when I suspect he was in his 80s no longer able to walk.
Looks like they wanted some of the great grand students to feel something from a great teacher in his old age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOB5ImcQMC8
Yang Style Taiji Grandmaster Wang Yongquan (1903 ~ 1987)
Student of Yang Jianhou, Yang Shaohou and Yang Chenfu
楊氏太極拳第四代宗師 / 汪永泉 (1903--1987)
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:13 pm

The reason I say a bit of skill is because that is all he shows
His students all come with half hearted attacks then go lame duck as soon as he neutralises them
I have yet to see him against anyone who tries very hard
I have seen all the film on him that is out there and some that has never appeared in public
Not doubting his skill just that I have never seen it shown
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby taiwandeutscher on Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:47 am

wayne hansen wrote:.....when I first saw Huang doing it

Must have been ages ago. When I saw him in the early 90s, his own student pushed him of his chair, both tumbled to the ground, it was a really embarrassing moment, lol!
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:38 am

I was given a lot of film of his Aus/nz tour in 89 by a couple of the people in the films
The first video I was given was of his 10 th anaversary of his school in Malaysia
I wish I still had that film today it had all his branch schools doing all his forms
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:39 am

Steve Rowe wrote:A bit of wheelchair Tai Chi I did in 2015 between having my knee removed and leg fused.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2MChmAYX44&sns=tw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW7sAGRnZQQ

I was told the teacher no longer teaches publicly.
He does have a group led by his older students in Peace Park Taipei
Last edited by windwalker on Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:49 pm

Just what do you think this shows
I just see a student who yields to her teachers wishes without neutralisation or response until he leads her into a vulnerable position
Prop up his wheelchair so that her head is the same height as his and let her respond
If he has any skill this will show it
wayne hansen
Wuji

Next

Return to Video Links