Wheelchair Tai Chi

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Wheelchair Tai Chi

Postby Steve Rowe on Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:57 pm

My original post was really about how to exercise the deep core and spine from seated - I developed it to maintain my 'vigour' post surgery whilst on 5 strong intravenous antibiotics and pain killers fighting an infection. I learned so much core work from it that I still keep it in my routine today.
If you see someone without a smile - give 'em one of yours...
Steve Rowe
Wuji

Postby wuwei sifu on Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:54 pm

we had one of our teachers finally become wheel chair bound because of diabetes and some iffy medical care surrounding it.
His name was David Tomoney a real cool cat. anyway because of him i started doing the seated taiji. yet quickly realized tha the best way is to have a chair in which the actual seat can pivot. obviously this is not possible with a wheelchair. yet, for those who have help and can be placed in a chair that can pivot this offers the best way to do taijiquan in a seated fashion imho.

i also feel that doing taijiquan in your mind is very beneficial for those who are bedridden and also for those who are not.
I find it ironic that this topic isn't spoken about much if at all. CAUSE IT ACTUALLY WORKS QUITE WELL AND IS AN AWESOME SUPPLEMENTAL TRAINING METHOD . THX Steve. namaste
when you misinterpret my words please don't blame me for that; or act like i said what you changed based on a faulty interpretation instead of taking my words as written ! (I know, this is the internet, but that doesn't mean you can put words in my mouth)
wuwei sifu
Huajing

Postby windwalker on Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:12 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Just what do you think this shows
I just see a student who yields to her teachers wishes without neutralisation or response until he leads her into a vulnerable position
Prop up his wheelchair so that her head is the same height as his and let her respond
If he has any skill this will show it

I would suggest try reading the bios' of some of those who's skill you question.
If you still have questions they have a group in Taipei that could
probably answer most of them..

@steve,

Yes I understood about your core work ect...the teacher is in his 90s I was told.
What he does also deals with the core, and is a little more interactive
Thought you might find it interesting.
Last edited by windwalker on Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:15 pm

I'm not questioning his skill just the relevance of the clip you posted
It shows nothing except a obliging student making her teacher look good
Nothing wrong with that
As for reading bios why would I do that when you posted film of him
I fought full contact many times in Taipei in 1975 as well as fighting in the tang shou Tao world championships
I see you are starting classes in Taipei if there are so many great masters there why would you bother
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:38 pm

wayne hansen wrote:I'm not questioning his skill just the relevance of the clip you posted
It shows nothing except a obliging student making her teacher look good
Nothing wrong with that
As for reading bios why would I do that when you posted film of him
I fought full contact many times in Taipei in 1975 as well as fighting in the tang shou Tao world championships
I see you are starting classes in Taipei if there are so many great masters there why would you bother

Why would I not. Not in Taipie BTW in Hsinchu.
I can appreciate others views and skill sets, while at the same time deepening my own
and sharing them with others who might find them useful or interesting.

You might read the bio as I often do to see and understand the persons view point
In this case the teacher is old now but has/had a big group whom I had an opportunity to meet
they seemed like a nice group.
Humble guests are always welcome... Pride filled martial artists will return home humbled and dirty. Regular members pay a small and reasonable tuition. Often there are 15 or more people doing free form push hands. Students of all styles attend and often there are foreigners in attendance (some that even fly in just to train with the group for a short period or brush up before a tournament). Often there are members present that speak a bit of English.

The head master of the group 鄭顯氣 Jeng Shean Chih (Zheng Xian Qi):

http://taichitaiwan.blogspot.tw/

Funny, what I saw of the clip was a student trying to catch the idea and feeling
of what their grand teacher taught...wanting to feel it directly.
Nothing to do with making the teacher look good or not.

Relevance? As I mentioned to "steve" it might be something he could use or add to
his own training set.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby wuwei sifu on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:31 am

Yes, perspectives make a world of difference. assumptions are often just that, often based on a perspective that may not be correct. being able to go beyond our initial assumptions/perspective though is something most of us can and should do more often if we want to get more out of life and martial arts imho.
when you misinterpret my words please don't blame me for that; or act like i said what you changed based on a faulty interpretation instead of taking my words as written ! (I know, this is the internet, but that doesn't mean you can put words in my mouth)
wuwei sifu
Huajing

Previous

Return to Video Links