Sun style Bagua - Taiwan - Bian Bu Changes

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Sun style Bagua - Taiwan - Bian Bu Changes

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:03 pm

The terms long time student and complete system are useless when no actual face to face training time is mentioned or no list of the actual forms and exercises learned
The guy in the clip above has nice articulated hand movements but Shen fa and stepping don't seem strong
This becomes evident when he attempts a turn on the supported leg at about 28 seconds and looses his balance
I think when people make statements about the way a particular art is taught as opposed to this is my interpretation and what I have added they need to verify how much of the art they recived and over what time limit.
Really no one has to supply any information but if claiming connection to noted martial art celebs it would strengthen their case and validate their points
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:26 pm

Anybody who's been involved in CMA long enough knows that whenever an old master dies, there will always be people coming out of the woodwork claiming to have either been their secret disciples or indoor students. So having a teacher who comes from a famous lineage is not necessarily a guarantee of high-level skill or -- from the perspective of a student -- quality learning.
Last edited by C.J.W. on Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:55 pm

Off-topic, but here's an example of Sun's tcc that goes pretty far back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AuGupAIUds
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby nicklinjm on Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:57 pm

Wang Xikui was one of the few direct disciples of SLT who lived and taught in Shanghai for a long period, he knew all 3 of the Sun arts well (tcc / xyq / bgz) and his bagua was supposed to be particularly good. Think there are still some students / grandstudents of his teaching in Shanghai.
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby Franklin on Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:50 am

edited
Last edited by Franklin on Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Franklin
Great Old One

Postby northern_mantis on Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:58 am

C.J.W. wrote:Anybody who's been involved in CMA long enough knows that whenever an old master dies, there will always be people coming out of the woodwork claiming to have either been their secret disciples or indoor students. So having a teacher who comes from a famous lineage is not necessarily a guarantee of high-level skill or -- from the perspective of a student -- quality learning.

In an age of modern and varied learning techniques/mutimedia and sports science it amazes me that anyone gives a shit about lineage.
northern_mantis
Huajing

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:08 am

If lineage is not important start from scratch and devise your own art
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Bao on Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:53 am

wayne hansen wrote:If lineage is not important start from scratch and devise your own art

If you have already made principle and shenfa your own property I can't really see how creating your own art can be anything like starting from scratch. ;)
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:23 pm

Without lineage where does Shen fa and principles come from
When someone with a short background in Shaolin talks about not needing lineage in a thread about ba kua how would he know
You don't have to be a lineage holder but do need to in contact of those within the fold
YouTube is good and is the main reason I am on this site
People here do the searching for me
I am not sayin that someone who learns from YouTube and western sports science can't produce a good outcome that has all the secrets
However I am yet to see it
Even those within the fold quite often miss the point
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Bao on Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:37 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Without lineage where does Shen fa and principles come from

IME, different teachers focus on different things. Principles are like puzzle pieces spread all over the place. You need to find them here and there. Where you find them doesn't matter. Inside one lineage or from teachers in different lineages doesn't matter. It's not the lineage that decides if a teacher has the goods or not.

And btw, SLT studied with teachers from different arts and lineages as well.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby chud on Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:49 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Even those within the fold quite often miss the point

True, good point.
chud
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:50 pm

Nothing wrong with learning from anyone and picking up things you lack
Dan innosanto calls it attribute training
However a lineage that has good principles and a line of intelligent practicioners make the task of learning easier.
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby northern_mantis on Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:58 am

wayne hansen wrote:Without lineage where does Shen fa and principles come from
When someone with a short background in Shaolin talks about not needing lineage in a thread about ba kua how would he know
You don't have to be a lineage holder but do need to in contact of those within the fold
YouTube is good and is the main reason I am on this site
People here do the searching for me
I am not sayin that someone who learns from YouTube and western sports science can't produce a good outcome that has all the secrets
However I am yet to see it
Even those within the fold quite often miss the point

If it alters your opnion you can add many more years experience to that plus other northern styles, being a qualified Tai Chi and Self Defence instructor. Extensive fight experience in Muay Thai and Strike and Grapple (though admittedly I suck at groundwork because I don't much like it). Aside from CMA I also run ultra marathons.

My original statement stands, I have trained with many people of reputable lineages and found a inverse relationship between reputation and skill (and as an aside, an inverse relationship between reputation and how likeable they are as a person as is often the case with online personas on this board). The more laid back 'coach' types I've trained with have been brilliant and researched their arts relentlessly. Using lineage has some use as a measure of someone's skill and character but there is so many better ways to go about becoming a good martial artist.

Of course I totally respect your decision to value lineage in that way, it's not a big moral argument.
northern_mantis
Huajing

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:11 am

You should write your full training on your bio so that you don't confuse people
I never said lineage was a sign of character
Now you have stated your background it gives a whole other meaning to what you said
I thought you were saying all that was needed was modern sport science and what could be picked up from YouTube
Sorry if I misunderstood
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby northern_mantis on Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:15 am

wayne hansen wrote:You should write your full training on your bio so that you don't confuse people
I never said lineage was a sign of character
Now you have stated your background it gives a whole other meaning to what you said
I thought you were saying all that was needed was modern sport science and what could be picked up from YouTube
Sorry if I misunderstood

A misunderstanding online, surely not! :)

Thanks, my fault too, I should update my bio. As with many of these things we're probably not as far off the same page as the written word would make it seem.

Happy Friday!
northern_mantis
Huajing

Previous

Return to Video Links