Taiji teacher KO'ed by MMA

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Taiji teacher KO'ed by MMA

Postby nicklinjm on Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:27 am

Not sure if this has been posted already. Basically recently on the Chinese internet an MMA coach from Beijing (Xu Xiaodong) who runs a regular live-streaming webcast has been taking every opportunity to denigrate and cast aspersions on TCMA, especially taijiquan, saying things like "taiji has tricked people for hundreds of years", and laying down an open challenge. Naturally, a lot of taiji people were unhappy about this but until now no-one had actually accepted the challenge.

A few days ago a teacher called Lei Gong from Sichuan (this is a nickname, don't know his real name) accepted the challenge and got knocked TF out in less than 30 seconds, video here:

Apparently Lei Gong is a grandstudent of Li Yaxuan, i.e. Yang style taiji. Definitely a wake up call for the taiji-ists out there who think push hands practice is enough!
nicklinjm
Wuji

Re: Taiji teacher KO'ed by MMA

Postby Strange on Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:40 am

hee hee hee
maybe he ACTUALLY thinks that only 4 taels is required.
i am not a taiji player
but to my simple understanding it actually require a pair on
thousand kg hands, but you just make it look like 4 taels
:)
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:48 am

I was just about to post this. Saw it on Su Dong Chen's page.

This Tai Chi Guy looks in very good shape, better shape than that mediocre looking MMA guy. I would be interested to see his history and how he was viewed in the TCMA world prior to this.

Fairplay to him for stepping up, A world view shattering encounter for him i am sure. Wonder how he will take it.
Last edited by middleway on Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:02 am

No gloves - no ring - no rules? That was brutal. But at least we have that video of traditional Chinese martial arts being used in a fight we wanted...
Last edited by GrahamB on Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:03 am

Saw this posted in a WeChat group I belong to. Totally agree about the push hands as practiced developing a lot of bad habits in many taiji players. However since it's not my practice while I may disagree with others practice it doesn't matter to me.

In this guy's case I was told that he actually trained for the match buy some boxing coach, which I felt was a big mistake

By whatever measure one uses in this case he didn't do too well.
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby middleway on Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:19 am

In this guy's case I was told that he actually trained for the match buy some boxing coach, which I felt was a big mistake

Briliant, so a self proclaimed Taiji guys looses badly in about 10 seconds ... and his boxing coach is to blame. hahahah ::)
Me

middleway
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:28 am

middleway wrote:

Briliant, so a self proclaimed Taiji guys looses badly in about 10 seconds ... and his boxing coach is to blame. hahahah ::)

CMA. Has never done well in a ring. BTDT In back in the 70s. He lost, your point is.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:30 am

There was no ring.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:58 am

A long time ago, JW suggested that the reason Chinese did not elaborate upon ground fighting was that each practically minded Chinese had a knife or two, on or about his person. John pointed at a long fist form move that makes little sense unless it is to draw a dagger from your shoe.

I am not a good groundie myself, a little folk style in high school, a little JJJ (which am preferring flinging honorable another person through air if you please). But I think my point is sound here. It would be sad and awkward for me if I wrapped someone up in a hold on the ground and he proceeded to carve his way out.

So wrestling and ground and pound must be viewed in terms of sport combat, for that is where they belong. You cannot depend on an agreeable summation like that shown. In America, that would get you shot.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:06 am

CMA. Has never done well in a ring. BTDT In back in the 70s. He lost, your point is.

As Graham says ...What Ring? This was a 1 on 1 fight.

The victor simply used basic punches and forward pressure, and the other man couldnt defend himself from them. Do you think it would have been different if the Attacker had tried a groin kick, to poke his eyes or whatever you class as 'non ring'.
Last edited by middleway on Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Me

middleway
Wuji

Postby middleway on Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:09 am

A long time ago, JW suggested that the reason Chinese did not elaborate upon ground fighting was that each practically minded Chinese had a knife or two, on or about his person. John pointed at a long fist form move that makes little sense unless it is to draw a dagger from your shoe.

I am not a good groundie myself, a little folk style in high school, a little JJJ (which am preferring flinging honorable another person through air if you please). But I think my point is sound here. It would be sad and awkward for me if I wrapped someone up in a hold on the ground and he proceeded to carve his way out.

So wrestling and ground and pound must be viewed in terms of sport combat, for that is where they belong. You cannot depend on an agreeable summation like that shown. In America, that would get you shot.

What a random and completely out of context post!? Did you watch the encounter... the ground bit was not the problem.

This forum is a very strange place recently... someone cannot defend themselves against basic stand up punches and the reponses are basically "its boxings fault" and "ground fighting isnt clever when you think about knives" lol.
Last edited by middleway on Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Me

middleway
Wuji

Postby klonk on Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:36 am

middleway wrote:

What a random and completely out of context post!? Did you watch the encounter... the ground bit was not the problem.

This forum is a very strange place recently... someone cannot defend themselves against basic stand up punches and the reponses are basically "its boxings fault" and "ground fighting isnt clever when you think about knives" lol.

We both watched it. You, however, did not see it.

If you operate without fear of going to the ground, you can always get there.

Start there, and explain.
Last edited by klonk on Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby WongYing on Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:18 am

When there is no Tiger in your Tai Chi.. this is what happens
WongYing
Huajing

Postby middleway on Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:47 am

We both watched it. You, however, did not see it.

If you operate without fear of going to the ground, you can always get there.

Start there, and explain.

You obviously have a chip on your shoulder you would like to present... but that comment has nothing to do with the video either. Stay on topic.

There are multiple camera angles of this. So maybe review those and see what you see again.

https://www.facebook.com/ChineseMartialArtscantFight/

The guy was pretty much KO'ed standing, when he fell to the mat he was simply finished off by the MMA guy. Tactics for ground fighting wasnt a part of the equation for either of these people.

so .. start there, and explain.
Last edited by middleway on Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Me

middleway
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:17 am

A mismatch in size and aggression
The tai chi guy was unprepared
He most likely thought it would be lite sparing
Give him another go who knows what might happen
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form