Taiji teacher KO'ed by MMA

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Taiji teacher KO'ed by MMA

Postby Steve Rowe on Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:37 am

2 guys measuring their dicks with a predictable outcome...
If you see someone without a smile - give 'em one of yours...
Steve Rowe
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:26 am

Steve Rowe wrote:2 guys measuring their dicks with a predictable outcome...

Yang LuChan was known for measuring his dick then. Didn't seem to do the Yang family any harm in establishing a reputation?

Here's a better angle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0p9c56pkbs

It's a pretty late stoppage by the ref. Not good. It's pretty clear he hasn't got a clue what he's doing and shouldn't be in there with that guy - no need for him to take extra damage.
Last edited by GrahamB on Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Fubo on Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:29 am

I think it comes down to the fact that the MMA coach is better at fighting than the Taiji guy. People can make all sorts of excuses like Taiji's not for sport, would be different if knives we involved etc... but the MMA coach was just better trained as far as distance, timing, resistance, reaction, mental toughness and using technique under pressure etc...Im not saying this or that art is better or worse. It's about the practitioner and how they train. Judging from how the Taiji guy let the MMA. coach close the distance, it seemed like it was the first fight he'd been in. I would hope that the Taiji guy swallows this hard pill and goes back to re-evaluate his training. The problem is, I feel the majority of Taiji people wouldn't do much better, or because of the art, but because their training is not that realistic, and I think that is what this video reveals. Props to the guy for taking the chanllenge though.
Last edited by Fubo on Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:44 am

Steve Rowe wrote:2 guys measuring their dicks with a predictable outcome...

+1 Makes both guys look bad, but doesn't prove much. Though, I've never understood how anyone could think they'd make bones by beating up a tcc guy.

I do agree with the comment that the tcc guy could do better next time, or any time hereafter. Now that he knows what he'll be up against, and I don't just mean the boxing. One of the major differences between tcc and other martial arts is that there's generally little emphasis on the development of aggression. It's just not a mindset that many consider appropriate to "tai chi." I just watched "Doctor Strange" with my grandson last night, and there was a point during his ma training that his instructor said "fight as if your life depended on it." That tiger spirit (for lack of a better term) should be there, just concealed. Call it "cold blood" or "killer instinct" or high motivation. If the one opponent has it, and the other doesn't; the outcome is predictable. Very few people have it naturally. But, ime, the people who survived their first bad ass-whipping and come back have determined that it will never happen that way again.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:59 am

For anyone who loves taijiquan, I try to tell them that in order to put some "sting" into it, complememt with shuaijiao training to solidify martial aspect!
I realize I am simple minded but one of my older teachers (Zhang Dungsheng) despite his age was able to show the depth and breadth of health and martial skill.

p.s. I was a short term student and only met him on workshop and seminars ;D
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby everything on Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:38 am

klonk wrote: In America, that would get you shot.

Being brown is the primary thing that gets you shot here. Martial arts techniques are irrelevant in every possible sense.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:40 am

P.S. we've been here a thousand times before but we already know that generally no single art/style is sufficient for MMA, even the original Gracie Jiu-Jitsu that spawned the modern sport. It's hard to take seriously the idea that one would use only taijiquan in an MMA context. Even IMA enthusiasts often want to add xingyiquan or bjj, including a ton of posters here, and by definition that's MMA. The main board here is by definition covering an IMA "MMA". I don't see how any of that logic should be used to disparage what a specific art adds to your personal mix, though.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve Rowe on Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:20 am

It's an individual thing, if I say if you want to know the power of TC get on the end of my hands others say "but you also practice Karate, Ju Jitsu and a host of other arts plus systems for security and police and have a lot of 'real world' experience" - we can't help who we are and everyone these days is a mixture. I have also known a lot of security guys with no MA's training and only one or two good street techniques and a shit load of venom take good competitive MAists apart in the street. There are so many factors to take into consideration that you can never say 'one art vs another'.
If you see someone without a smile - give 'em one of yours...
Steve Rowe
Wuji

Postby everything on Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:20 am

Steve Rowe wrote:It's an individual thing, if I say if you want to know the power of TC get on the end of my hands others say "but you also practice Karate, Ju Jitsu and a host of other arts plus systems for security and police and have a lot of 'real world' experience" - we can't help who we are and everyone these days is a mixture. I have also known a lot of security guys with no MA's training and only one or two good street techniques and a shit load of venom take good competitive MAists apart in the street. There are so many factors to take into consideration that you can never say 'one art vs another'.

yes, that's why I would restrict the discussion to sport mma ... but even then, we are 20 years beyond the "one art vs. another" discussion - but not the classic striker vs. grappler matchups that can still be very entertaining if a good match. maybe this kind of discussion is just now coming to the fore in Chinese mma sports, though? no idea what's going on in that setting.
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:29 am

"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby northern_mantis on Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:38 am

Styles aside it looks like there is a huge gap between their sparring experience. May be wrong, just my observation but that panic and retreat looks like that of a first time fighter when someone of experience would relax and maybe clinch or just cover up. Shame.
northern_mantis
Huajing

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:42 pm

Good to see it from another angle
The tai chi guy,I am giving him the benefit of the doubt by calling him that
He shows his lack of training and use by putting his guard up while the other guy is 30 ft away
No real fighter would do that
His guard is silly with both hands high and the forward one at full height
Saying that the mma guy doesn't land a blow until the tcc guy trips on the silly foam mats
They are a surface that takes some getting use to
I wonder if the tcc guy knew that ground and pound was part of the deal
It is tv ,was it a promotional tool used by the ufc to show its superior to traditional arts
Any drug testing involved
It is a giant commercial venture and we have seen this sort of thing in China before
Remember bearded Gwalio gets beaten by traditional master
And what Steve says ,plenty of guys out there with little training a love for pain and no fear
I worked on the wharves with the great Freddie Eiles
A little boxing training 300 fights on the street,no rules and never defeated
He beat eight Australian boxing champions one was a heavyweight and he was never over 11 stone
When I asked Freddie what his secret was,he said
You just aim up
It was all attitude
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:16 pm

Now it's a conspiracy by foam mats and the UFC?

I'm dying here. :) This is up there with Eddie Bravo and the flat earth society! Keep them coming lads!
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Trip on Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:23 pm

A guy who thought he could fight challenged a guy who could fight—and got his ass kicked.
Duh!

If a Taiji guy beat up a MMA fighter, trust me, someone would imply or say, “Well, that proves MMA is useless.”
But, he would be stupid.
Trip
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:51 pm

:) Aw, c'mon, the only reason this is being discussed is because it was a tcc guy. Sure, the tcc guy did not look as if he could defend himself. However, there are plenty of mma v mma or boxing v boxing matches that end just as quickly. The guy got rushed, clocked, knocked to the ground and pounded. Yeah, the mma guy won, but it wasn't as if it took a lot more skill. Anyway, I thought the story was that the mma guy offered an open challenge to any tcma proponent.
Steve James
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links