Taiji teacher KO'ed by MMA

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Taiji teacher KO'ed by MMA

Postby Steve James on Tue May 02, 2017 12:41 pm

Better to call it a body builder versus a wrestler, or even strong guy v wrestler. :) Remember this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYfhMf4ULas
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby .Q. on Tue May 02, 2017 4:03 pm

starting price for a Baishi ceremony under any of the Chen 4 warriors is around 200k RMB

Wow, is that an official price? I thought TKD had a pretty good business model but I guess the village has them beat.
.Q.
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Tue May 02, 2017 5:25 pm

marvin8 wrote:Chen Zhenglei of Chen village trying to end the fun. :'( :(

Chen is smart by ordering the boys to back away. He is thinking with a clear head and like a shrewd businessman.

If the second-generation big names like Wang Xian's two sons and Chen Xiaowang's nephew Chen Zhiqiang end up in the ring with the MMA guy and get their butts kicked, they might lose a lot more than just their reputation and face, especially the thousands of prospective and current Taiji students at their schools.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Tue May 02, 2017 6:07 pm

C.J.W. wrote:

Chen is smart by ordering the boys to back away. He is thinking with a clear head and like a shrewd businessman.

If the second-generation big names like Wang Xian's two sons and Chen Xiaowang's nephew Chen Zhiqiang end up in the ring with the MMA guy and get their butts kicked, they might lose a lot more than just their reputation and face, especially the thousands of prospective and current Taiji students at their schools.

I think many missed the point that the family styles main goal is to carry on the traditions of their family styles. For those wanting proof they can always go there and feel it for themselves.

By allowing some family members to compete using
Sanda or other things. The focus is more on the competitor and does little to damage the repetition of the Chen family style. I think this is true of all the main taiji family styles
It’s all in the Form; but only if it is, ALL in the Form.

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Tue May 02, 2017 6:09 pm

If the guy happens to win they can always claim that it was the family style that enabled him to do so. If they happen to lose they can then say that they were not using the family style and this is why they lost, either way its a win.....

BTW this is not uncommon, many gyms have those who compete and train them quite differently as winning is the focus.
Unless it made business sense as CJW, pointed out I don't feel most of the family styles will want to risk what many people pay for and expect.
That would be to learn "x" taiji in the traditional why as taught by family members or their reps...

marketing and branding 101
Last edited by windwalker on Tue May 02, 2017 7:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Tue May 02, 2017 6:11 pm

C.J.W. wrote:

My wish is to see a CMA/IMA beat Xu Xiaodong. Then, we can analyze the video and see what CMA techniques, strategies, etc. are different and effective, if any.

I sometimes post actual competition/fight videos and point out similarities in MMA vs CMA waiting for someone to say, "No" and explain the differences (e.g., trapping, stick, adhere, peng, etc.), not to debate. However, the threads never really get that far (e. g., CMA fighting principles, strategies, CMA fight videos). But, that’s just my interest. Others enjoy discussing other aspects of CMA.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Tue May 02, 2017 6:23 pm

marvin8 wrote:
C.J.W. wrote:

My wish is to see a CMA/IMA beat Xu Xiaodong. Then, we can analyze the video and see what CMA techniques, strategies, etc. are different and effective, if any.

I sometimes post actual competition/fight videos and point out similarities in MMA vs CMA waiting for someone to say, "No" and explain the differences (e.g., trapping, stick, adhere, peng, etc.), not to debate. However, the threads never really get that far (e. g., CMA fighting principles, strategies, CMA fight videos). But, that’s just my interest. Others enjoy discussing other aspects of CMA.

Why wish for others to do something that you can do yourself. You can fulfill your own wish, live your own dream. Understand your own training be your own hero.
Last edited by windwalker on Tue May 02, 2017 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Wed May 03, 2017 12:48 am

windwalker wrote:Why wish for others to do something that you can do yourself. You can fulfill your own wish, live your own dream. Understand your own training be your own hero.

No, I can't do that. Because, I don't live in China, not a fight promoter in China, have a gym there with streaming capability and have the social media presence in China, that Xu Xiaodong does.

Why do people watch fights (e.g., pay per view, stadium, etc.) and trainers analyze film of great fighters? One reason is to learn from history. Although, Xu Xiaodong doesn’t appear to be that high level of a fighter. Maybe someone will come along and use their tai chi fighting skills to defeat him. It may be a chance to learn something. -box-

I do not wish to be a “hero.” That's not an interest in my training, I share. That sounds more like “dreaming” of a kung fu story; living in your own head and not facing the reality of fighting.
Last edited by marvin8 on Wed May 03, 2017 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby middleway on Wed May 03, 2017 1:01 am

Chen Zhenglei has made an official statement, claiming that Chen style may have been used for combat at some point in history on the battlefield, (which is complete nonsense but that require a different post to clear up), but now the Chen village isn't about fighting anymore, its about promoting health and a way of life.

I kind of find it amazing that people here are not grabbing this part of the statement?! It hasnt even been mentioned!

With a statement of Chen Villages disinterest in the fighting utility of the art, where does that leave those who are training it for that purpose? Pretty much the top man just told you that the art isnt about that anymore and thats history ...

Must be a strange position to be in for those dedicated to the fighting side of the Chen Village art.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby Trip on Wed May 03, 2017 1:45 am

middleway wrote:With a statement of Chen Villages disinterest in the fighting utility of the art, where does that leave those who are training it for that purpose? Pretty much the top man just told you that the art isnt about that anymore and thats history ...

I don't know if this is a trick question but...

You know the first thing I do when I'm looking for milk?
I don't go to stores that advertise that they don't sell milk.
Last edited by Trip on Wed May 03, 2017 1:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Trip
Wuji

Postby Kettlebells4U on Wed May 03, 2017 1:48 am

Just found this video and wanted to share.
I think this is a perfect example of how every traditional martial artist should crosstrain (at least in the beginning, later some more juice should be added).
I love the humble attitude of both guys, the Aikido guy is totally open and realistic and the mma guy does his best to help the other grow without making the Aikido guy lose face.
Kettlebells4U
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Wed May 03, 2017 2:17 am

marvin8 wrote:
windwalker wrote:Why wish for others to do something that you can do yourself. You can fulfill your own wish, live your own dream. Understand your own training be your own hero.

No, I can't do that. Because, I don't live in China, not a fight promoter in China, have a gym there with streaming capability and have the social media presence in China, that Xu Xiaodong does.

Why do people watch fights (e.g., pay per view, stadium, etc.) and trainers analyze film of great fighters? One reason is to learn from history. Although, Xu Xiaodong doesn’t appear to be that high level of a fighter. Maybe someone will come along and use their tai chi fighting skills to defeat him. It may be a chance to learn something. -box-

I do not wish to be a “hero.” That's not an interest in my training, I share. That sounds more like “dreaming” of a kung fu story; living in your own head and not facing the reality of fighting.

My point was that all that one seeks can be found through their own experience.

People watch "fights" for many reasons one being entertainment.

If what one does revolves around defeating others, seems like a hard way to go.
Seems like a better track would be to learn how to defeat ones self.

If one feels they need to watch others outside of what they do trying understand what they do,
not much to say about that. Every one has their own path.

a famous teacher once said.

. I always say 'Whatever you do, I don't want. Whatever I do and you don't know - that's how we win.'"
david chin

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/ ... rticle=661

living in your own head and not facing the reality of fighting.

Is this to say you've fought a lot competitively?
Which is what most mean when they speak of fighting..
Last edited by windwalker on Wed May 03, 2017 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Wed May 03, 2017 2:23 am

Kettlebells4U wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KUXTC8g_pk

Just found this video and wanted to share.
I think this is a perfect example of how every traditional martial artist should crosstrain (at least in the beginning, later some more juice should be added).
I love the humble attitude of both guys, the Aikido guy is totally open and realistic and the mma guy does his best to help the other grow without making the Aikido guy lose face.

yep best to help people grow totally get it.

Their philosophy is to compete while they are young, and save the solo form for later years. They have also been "tested" by many other groups in the park, as well as by many visitors from different counties with different forms of martial arts. One year, a member of Gracie’s family from Brazil visited the park. Respect was exchanged between the two parties and the agreement on the rules were made. After three short rounds of free style pushing, Gracie went home with dirt on his back.

http://www.wuweitaichi.com/articles/Taipei_Report.htm

wonder what the Gracie learned?

Humble guests are always welcome... Pride filled martial artists will return home humbled and dirty.

http://taichitaiwan.blogspot.tw/

I always wonder why no one mentions these arts in having to learn how to up their game,
do they need to?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bando

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silat
Last edited by windwalker on Wed May 03, 2017 2:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby RobP3 on Wed May 03, 2017 3:02 am

I think the thing for me with this fight is not that the TCC guy lost. Anyone can lose a fight. It is more the fact that he looked so totally unprepared for what came at him that he couldn't even make a half decent showing. There's people off the street who could have done better. In that case you have to ask how much his training has equipped him for facing real violence. It would seem, not very much. Perhaps, as some posters have already mentioned, because of the "face" or cultural issues, or the way these arts are taught?
Last edited by RobP3 on Wed May 03, 2017 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Remember, if your life seems dull and boring - it is" Derek & Clive
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed May 03, 2017 3:30 am

His training had definitely made him worse than if he hadn't trained at all, I'd say.

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links