This Vid Don't Look Like Boxing

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

This Vid Don't Look Like Boxing

Postby Strange on Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:55 pm

oh i like :-*
"i'ma full of it yo! let me stand here and see what you wanna do"
Last edited by Strange on Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Re: This Vid Don't Look Like Boxing

Postby Overlord on Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:38 pm

The true teaching of JKD is efficiency.
No unnecessary movement, just adequate movement.
Get the job done.
But if the opponent is at the same level~
JKD will utilize mobile steps.
While he taught publicly, there are secrets underneath his sleeves.
It's bit like patent or intellectual property.

Growing up in a racist generation, you could not be too careful~
And people with poor ethics (wude) just shouldn't learn Kung fu.
Of course, it's just my opinion.
Overlord

Postby Steve James on Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:52 pm

People with bad ethics should not be taught or given the power to hurt people. Actually, that's a specific point in the Yang "Forty Chapters." I'll quote the chapter:

37. Oral Transmission of the Theory of Life and Death Acupoints
There are life and death acupoints, but to learn them requires oral transmissions. Why is this? One,
because of the difficulty; two, because it relates to life and death; and three, because it depends on the
character of the individual. First, one must not teach those who are not loyal and filial; second, one
must not teach those who do not have a good background; third, one must not teach those with evil
intentions; fourth; one must not teach those who are careless and crude; fifth, one must not teach those
who have no consideration for others; sixth, one must not teach those who are outwardly polite but not
compassionate; seventh, one must not teach those who are not reliable; eighth, one must not teach those
who are quick to learn and quick to forget. It is important to know the eight disqualifications; as for
outright criminals, they need not even be mentioned. Those who do qualify may be given the secret
transmissions orally. You may teach those who are loyal and filial, emotionally stable, faithful to the
teaching, respectful to the teaching, and always consistent. Given these five qualities, if the student is
truly consistent from beginning to end and never wavers, then you may transmit every aspect of the art.
From generation to generation, this is the way of the transmission. Alas, is it not a pity that there are
still criminals in the martial arts!

It's from Doug Wile's translation, if interested.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Strange on Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:01 pm

you have to look carefully :D
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

Strange
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:06 pm

those are great. would maybe have been great to see him in super-fly-weight combat sports. then again that could hurt the legend since all legends eventually lose to father time.

I often tell my teammates (soccer/football) if you feint too fast, I won't fall for the first feint because it's too fast for me to react to.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Overlord on Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:19 pm

Steve James wrote:

People with bad ethics should not be taught or given the power to hurt people. Actually, that's a specific point in the Yang "Forty Chapters." I'll quote the chapter:

37. Oral Transmission of the Theory of Life and Death Acupoints
There are life and death acupoints, but to learn them requires oral transmissions. Why is this? One,
because of the difficulty; two, because it relates to life and death; and three, because it depends on the
character of the individual. First, one must not teach those who are not loyal and filial; second, one
must not teach those who do not have a good background; third, one must not teach those with evil
intentions; fourth; one must not teach those who are careless and crude; fifth, one must not teach those
who have no consideration for others; sixth, one must not teach those who are outwardly polite but not
compassionate; seventh, one must not teach those who are not reliable; eighth, one must not teach those
who are quick to learn and quick to forget. It is important to know the eight disqualifications; as for
outright criminals, they need not even be mentioned. Those who do qualify may be given the secret
transmissions orally. You may teach those who are loyal and filial, emotionally stable, faithful to the
teaching, respectful to the teaching, and always consistent. Given these five qualities, if the student is
truly consistent from beginning to end and never wavers, then you may transmit every aspect of the art.
From generation to generation, this is the way of the transmission. Alas, is it not a pity that there are
still criminals in the martial arts!

It's from Doug Wile's translation, if interested.

Thanks Steve for this great work.
Last edited by Overlord on Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Overlord

Postby C.J.W. on Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:05 pm

Not to rain on anybody's parade, but I believe the footage was shot during a sparring demo between Bruce and his student, rather than an actual match against a resisting opponent.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby Strange on Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:21 pm

well, i've been at it for 30 years and still consider myself a student
it is a mind switch you have to learn to flip
only when you think you are not good, then you are able to improve

also notice how they both had boxing type gloves on
but did not do boxing
which is very interesting, cos most cma practitioners do boxing
after they don the gloves
this might suggest the correct type and amount of training
actually overcomes this boxing tendency.

this is actually the main point of my post
Last edited by Strange on Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

Strange
Great Old One

Postby C.J.W. on Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:49 pm

In those days, the most popular venue for MAists to test their skills openly in the U.S. was Karate point-fighting tournaments, which is where the demo took place. That's why it has a distinct 60s to 70s "karate feel" where you see two fighters square off, move around, punch or kick each other a couple of times, and then break off. In other words, they were in "karate mode" rather than "boxing mode." So I personally think it has more to do with the trend and fighting format of the time.

Check out this clip from the same era and you'll see what I mean:

C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby Strange on Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:56 pm

you can look at what you see;
and i'll look at what i'm looking at :)
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

Strange
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon May 01, 2017 7:30 am

The time difference between the Norris match and this one is about 20 years. It's still a big guy versus a small guy, and the question is how can one win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP0oAbiIeMs
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Mon May 01, 2017 8:26 am

[quote="Strange"][youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFfHfmJdkao[/youtube]
you have to look carefully :D[/quote]

In his most famous invisible move 2:54 in the clip. Notice how his striking hand is connected to the foot that leads his lunge forward, notice how his "unnoticed parry" controls his opponent with his weight as his body leaves the ground to move forward, and finally notice his landing while the strike finishes, placing his entire body weight in the strike. Although this is movie action , textbook CMA principles are clearly displayed. IMO, this is what made Bruce the star that he was, it was a little more than just choreography.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Overlord on Mon May 01, 2017 6:55 pm

Overlord

Postby Steve James on Mon May 01, 2017 9:26 pm

Remember Benny the Jet? Here's his experience with Lee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZZZkGgeRdI
Steve James
Great Old One

Return to Video Links