MMA/ Martial Arts vs Self Protection

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: MMA/ Martial Arts vs Self Protection

Postby everything on Mon May 22, 2017 1:22 pm

Steve James wrote:
I would personally say: not MMA vs Martial Arts vs Self Protection, but - MMA & Martial Arts & Self Protection. Once we get rid of the "vs" mentality, we will improve like never before.

+1

+2

"yes and" instead of "vs" or "no but" is hugely applicable in your entire life in all areas, not just in false dichotomy BTDT topics we like to discuss again and again here. 8-) :-\
Last edited by everything on Mon May 22, 2017 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Ian on Mon May 22, 2017 4:07 pm

Itten wrote:Sorry Ian, maybe I miss your point. I agree that sport and non sport can complement each other, but self defence isn't a sport. Practising in the ring can help prepare for fighting for sure, but personal protection is everything before, during , and after. I have never worked the door but have students who do. They always say it's the problems you create for yourself that are the hardest to fix. Thats been my experience in life too.

Yes, self defense isn't a sport, clearly. You might get stabbed etc. Only an idiot would think they're the same, tbh.

I'm saying, like others, that sport vs. street is a false dichotomy. Usually propagated by people who've only experienced one, or those trying to sell you something.

Is there some reason why you can't train boxing, wrestling, jujitsu, shooting, knife defense, multiples? If not, why not?

Spencer Stone, the US Air Force serviceman who along with two other military stopped a massacre in the high-speed train on the Paris / Amsterdam link, is a Jiu-Jitsu practitioner that trains in Portugal.
Spencer Stone was one of three Americans who wrestled the terrorist to the ground. Reports are saying that he was stabbed in the process of disarming the terrorist of an AK 47 rifle with nine magazines.

Was this "sport" or "street"? Who cares?

All that matters, imo, is - how complete is your understanding of martial arts?
Ian

Postby Subitai on Mon May 22, 2017 9:01 pm

Geez all these topics from the late 90's coming up again???

"sport" or "street"?

I've always promoted the difference between the 2. In my experience there's definitely a difference. I had allot of street fights...mostly when I was younger, none of them were similar to how it felt in sports.

For UFC 7 and Russia, I know from personal experience. Travel, jet lag, crappy food, physicals and HIV Test, theft of your training gear mid week. Gambling, prositutes being offered to you. The Mafia(certain country for sure), having to adjust to new altittude (ie oxygen content). All these things happened to me and or team mates. It can really get into your head mentally. Basically the overall experience was not like any REAL street fights that I've ever had.
So if you put your thoughts into this mindset at least the UFC type experience....I can honestly say, it is not like any real fight that i've been in. All of my real fights have been spontaneous and usually with a clear (or slightly intoxicated, haha) head.
Anybody, who argues or speculates about this entire experience w/o having gone thru the process is...just that speculating.
Subitai
Huajing

Postby Itten on Tue May 23, 2017 12:27 am

I grew up in North London in the '50s and 60'. There were street fights every few weeks and I've had a few, also gang fights with people handling makeshift weapons of all sorts. Booze or hormones governed most of what happened. In my mind that level of trouble can be almost totally avoided. Predators are a whole different problem. Dealing with ambushes can and should be addressed in martial arts training but will never really resemble the speed and intensity and violence of trying to get your head around what is happening when you been hit hard without warning. Speaking from experience, and I guess many of you are not youngsters, I can tell you that bottles don't break on contact with your head, heads do. Pavement is not tatami, there's no such thing as a fair fight. It is not smart to be a hero in some movie playing in your head.
I totally agree that tradition and sport and selfdefense is a good way to go, the only point I was trying to make is that IME the mind plays a bigger role in self defense than the body. Youngsters tend to approach it the other way round. Having been carried home from street fights definitely has a sobering effect, in more ways than one, and helps to bring perspective. Plenty of trained fighters, both traditional and sport, have learned the hard way that nothing happens the way it's supposed to. I'll shut up now.
Last edited by Itten on Tue May 23, 2017 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Itten
Anjing

Previous

Return to Video Links