MMA/ Martial Arts vs Self Protection

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

MMA/ Martial Arts vs Self Protection

Postby Kettlebells4U on Sat May 20, 2017 1:23 am

Hey guys,
just saw this video and (although I am not a fan of Tim Larkin) I think this video is covering very well the difference between self defense and sport fighting.

Kettlebells4U
Wuji

Re: MMA/ Martial Arts vs Self Protection

Postby Steve James on Sat May 20, 2017 3:31 am

He's right. But if the two combat athletes were not assholes, there would not have been a fight. The situation had nothing to do with martial arts skill. Hopefully we can train people how not to be in that position.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sat May 20, 2017 4:10 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyllQuQuHZE

Regardless of the "situation" the basic ideas and tenets are also reflected in mind set,
and over all training. Its different.

In my younger days in a Mech / Inf. unit we put on a demo similar to this in the city of luxemburg
although at that time only a small group within the unit really had the level
of MA training necessary for the skill sets shown in the demo.

It gave illusion that the unit did train the skill sets,
which was in truth was very limited. Fun demo ;)
Last edited by windwalker on Sat May 20, 2017 4:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sat May 20, 2017 4:13 am

Who is Tim Larkin
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat May 20, 2017 4:28 am

I meant, simply. Train an asshole to fight, and he's still an asshole.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Overlord on Sat May 20, 2017 4:52 am

Steve James wrote:I meant, simply. Train an asshole to fight, and he's still an asshole.

;D
Well said~ the root is strong with this one! ;D
Overlord

Postby windwalker on Sat May 20, 2017 5:01 am

Kettlebells4U wrote:Hey guys,
just saw this video and (although I am not a fan of Tim Larkin) I think this video is covering very well the difference between self defense and sport fighting.

It works both ways, as shown in some recent clips...A lot of CMA people at lest the ones I know or knew had reps on the street. Indeed a lot of the old teachers were enforcers for the various gangs back back in the day.
They had training, and were ruthless....

I once met this guy before he was shot.

On August 1, 2003, after a hit and run driver crashed into Gong's parked car in the Fairtex Gym parking lot in San Francisco, Gong pursued the car on foot. Gong caught up and confronted the driver, who was still in his car at a nearby intersection. Witnesses say the driver then shot Gong at point blank range and fled in his vehicle. Gong was pronounced dead at the scene.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Gong

While he seemed like a good guy, he was also quite confident of his skill set....which in the end was the wrong skill set for this situation.

The training and mind set cultivated plays a big role...Sometimes according to setting it can work against oneself...
The badass CMA dude thinking he or she can step into a ring and do well...The guy or woman who competes looking at all events as
a type of competition. Need to understand the waters that one swims in .
Last edited by windwalker on Sat May 20, 2017 5:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Sat May 20, 2017 9:33 am

""Martial arts are not the same as ‘combat sports’, which are not the same as Reality Based Self-Defense systems, which are not the same as a violent encounters’”. ...There is more violence being experienced within a professional or amateur boxing match or gymnasium with rules , regulations and conventions . Than say practicing some good guy vs bad guy cross fit self-defence or spear training drill . And in which both parties in the case of s.p.e.a.r are decked out from head to toe in protective gear .And the nominated good guy with the compliance of a designated bad guy stooge always wins the scenario encounter or scuffle would be a more accurate description. And all this according to Blauer is a more accurate representation of the reality of a violent encounter than anyone else out there is practicing. Like Alfred Korzybski put it .."The map is not the territory, the word is not the thing it describes. Whenever the map is confused with the territory, a 'semantic disturbance' is set up in the organism. The disturbance continues until the limitation of the map is recognized." .The problem with Blauer though is that he seems incapable of recognizing his limitations ..."

-Steve Morris - 2 minutes ago on Facebook.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Sat May 20, 2017 11:18 am

GrahamB wrote:""Martial arts are not the same as ‘combat sports’, which are not the same as Reality Based Self-Defense systems, which are not the same as a violent encounters’”. ...There is more violence being experienced within a professional or amateur boxing match or gymnasium with rules , regulations and conventions. Than say practicing some good guy vs bad guy cross fit self-defence or spear training drill. . . ."

-Steve Morris - 2 minutes ago on Facebook.

marvin8 wrote:One reason to "practice" a "martial" art is to be able to defend against someone trying to harm you (e.g., punch you in the face). Either you can handle the incoming force (yield, adhere, follow, etc.) or you get punched in the face, whether that be in a MMA ring or outside and whether the fighter is "internal" or "external."

Didn't see that one, but saw this one which is more technical on the same topic, https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q= ... nit=public:
Steve Morris 3 hrs ago wrote:Combative sports such as muay Thai , boxing and mma are full of reflex (subcortical) harm avoidance movements of one kind or another. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj-bLfsQSFQ. And the simple reason for this is that harm avoidance movements as action patterns especially when it comes to the head have already been hard-wired in as part of the mechanics of natural selection.In other words, what boxers defensively do in the ring could be transferred to a violent encounter on the streets .And which would include sucker punches and ambushes. Indeed I'd argue that the more you are forced to deal with blows to the head and body as boxers do. The more effective and efficient these reflexive harm avoidance patterns will become.The brain is not going to distinguish between a punch thrown at your head in the ring or on the streets. Incoming is incoming irrespective of what it is or the location at the time .Sure there is no resemblance between the ring and the street but a punch is a punch irrespective of who throws it or where you were at the time.Not to mention that throwing shots at someone's head in the ring with bad intent is no different to throwing shots at someone's head on the streets. And again a boxer or muay thai or mma fighter is more likely to be able to do this more effectively than some cross fit self-defence wannabe warrior who has never had a fight in his or her life, either in a ring or outside of it .. ... .http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/…/j…/_42890521_floyd_defence416.jpg ...https://www.expertboxing.com/…/up…/boxing-defense-levels.jpg ...http://www.historiadelboxeo.com/articulos/andresp/2.jpg ..http://www.mightyfighter.com/…/pacquiao-straight-left-bradl… ..

http://8limbs.us/wp-content/uploads/201 ... 86x605.jpg
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Stillness on Sat May 20, 2017 1:29 pm

Steve James wrote:He's right. But if the two combat athletes were not assholes, there would not have been a fight. The situation had nothing to do with martial arts skill. Hopefully we can train people how not to be in that position.

This is spot on.
Stillness
Santi

Postby Subitai on Sat May 20, 2017 11:11 pm

Kettlebells4U wrote:Hey guys,

See this video right here!!! This dude went back friggin' 17 yrs ago and is saying stuff I was spouting off since before 2000.

The part where he speaks from about 1:30sec to 2:15 secs or so is almost word for word what I was warning people about in past threads. My sentiments exactly!
Subitai
Huajing

Postby Ian on Sun May 21, 2017 4:57 am

Well that was real scientific ::)

What's to say the two "sport fighters" weren't also regularly getting into street fights? Or the "street fighters" weren't also training BJJ or MMA? It's Brazil, after all.

And Tim Larkin's solution is... LARPing??

Ian

Postby Steve James on Sun May 21, 2017 5:47 am

I can see why some people have problems with Larkin. I'm sure the above video wasn't related to the convenience store sportsmen. Nothing he does in the video would have helped them. He just wants to show how to hurt someone. Unfortunately, the attackers can do the same thing, and give some good kicks to the head.

Ok, it would be interesting to see his defense against a bat or 2x4 to the back of the head.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Kettlebells4U on Sun May 21, 2017 6:55 am

Please let me state again, this thread is in no way meant to promote Tim Larkin!
The stuff Larkin teaches (technique wise) is nonsense.
I just think the above video is really good.
When it comes to good self protection teachers I would suggest Lee Morrison or Richard Dimitri, both are among the best in this field!
Kettlebells4U
Wuji

Postby Subitai on Sun May 21, 2017 7:14 am

Kettlebells4U wrote:Please let me state again, this thread is in no way meant to promote Tim Larkin!
The stuff Larkin teaches (technique wise) is nonsense.
I just think the above video is really good.
When it comes to good self protection teachers I would suggest Lee Morrison or Richard Dimitri, both are among the best in this field!

I see that...I was focusing on that time stamp specifically because in the past I had got into it with people that didn't realize that truth yet.
"They"..... would mistakenly believe that only Trained Fighters are dangerous. That is the worst thinking you could possibly spread.
Subitai
Huajing

Next

Return to Video Links