"kyokushin vs mma"

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

"kyokushin vs mma"

Postby everything on Mon May 29, 2017 6:21 pm

title may be a bit dramatic. sorry it's not tcma but at least perhaps it's tma

amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: "kyokushin vs mma"

Postby yeniseri on Mon May 29, 2017 8:37 pm

That is what it takes to destroy your 'enemy'!
"Qi" does not stand a change against a strong offensive ???

Train hard, bleed less!
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon May 29, 2017 10:21 pm

Cameron Quinn who translated Oyamas book knew I did hsing I
He took me over to a photo on his wall
It was three guys sitting at a bar
He said these are the best kyokishin fighters and they all do hsing I
He showed me some of the stuff they do
Looked like Taiki ken to me
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Ashura on Mon May 29, 2017 11:58 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Cameron Quinn who translated Oyamas book knew I did hsing I

Oyama and Sawai Kenichi were close friends and Oyama did encourage his best students to go and study Taiki ken so this is not surprising.
See where there is no shape, hear where there is no sound.

Väck ej björnen som sover.
Ashura
Mingjing

Postby Itten on Tue May 30, 2017 1:52 am

Same in The Netherlands. The head of Tai Ki Ken is former Kyukushin fighter Jan Kallenbach. Good friend of Jon Blumimg, and also studied with Oyama. Influences of I Chuan and Hsing I everywhere.
Itten
Anjing

Postby everything on Tue May 30, 2017 8:01 am

Reading RSF over the years has made me really interested in xingyi, yiquan, taikiken, etc. Will probably never have some opportunity to train these arts but that's ok.

On a side note, this kid has a really entertaining style, too.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Taste of Death on Wed May 31, 2017 10:15 am

Sawai Kenichi's taikiken is not yiquan but rather his interpretation of it. Or more correctly his misunderstanding of it. If one was skilled at yiquan why would they do karate?
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby Trick on Wed May 31, 2017 1:15 pm

Taste of Death wrote:Sawai Kenichi's taikiken is not yiquan but rather his interpretation of it. Or more correctly his misunderstanding of it. If one was skilled at yiquan why would they do karate?

What got me to really change my focus from Karate to 'IMA' was when i got my hands on Sawai's book 'Taikiken the essence of kungfu' and for some reason the pic of Sawai doing 'Ritsuzen', and i began to study with teachers of that tradition, but later when i came to China and began study Yiquan here i immediately saw and felt that Taikiken is not the same as Yiquan.
Trick

Postby C.J.W. on Wed May 31, 2017 1:36 pm

Has anyone done both Taikiken and I-Chuan, and able to offer a comparison? Given the animosity the Chinese had towards the Japanese at the time due to the war, I very much doubt Wang actually taught Sawai anything substantial. (Hell, CMA teachers used to hold back even on their own Chinese students!)

As for the Kyokushin prodigy, I'd say the kid is one of those people who are naturally gifted in fighting -- the kind of rare breed genetically endowed with the power, speed, and animal instinct to wreak havoc on an opponent. Those attributes, when coupled with hard training, are what make a champion fighter.
Last edited by C.J.W. on Wed May 31, 2017 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed May 31, 2017 2:23 pm

@trick may be the only one so hopefully he'll reply.

Speculation but why would kyokushin people do taikiken if they didn't find something in it.
everything
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Wed May 31, 2017 2:42 pm

Isn't everyone's practice of I chuan an interpretation of it
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Wed May 31, 2017 4:31 pm

Tenshin has training in kickboxing, as well.
Nasukawa Tenshin started karate at the age of 5. . . . And he began kickboxing with the influence of watching K-1 on television at elementary school 6th grade.

Some of Tenshin’s attributes include, pacing, ring IQ, power, speed, accuracy, timing, rhythm, defense/offense transition, countering, ability to read (listen) patterns and movement of his opponent, chaining of attacks, and technique.

Here's an analysis of his skills, The Next Superstar of Striking: Tenshin Nasukawa, http://lawrencekenshin.com/the-next-sup ... -nasukawa/:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvsgixKCWg8

wayne hansen wrote:Cameron Quinn who translated Oyamas book knew I did hsing I

Excerpt from History of Taikiken in Kyokushin Karate, http://the-martial-way.com/history-of-t ... in-karate/:
Kenichi Sawai began transmitting his art at the end of his learning of Yi Quan in 1947 in Japan. Among his most famous students was his long time friend Mas Oyama, whose friendship went back to their University Judo days, as well as Oyama’s top student, Hatsuo Royama, who became one of Sawai Sensei’s top students as well. Hatsuo Royama is the current Kancho (Director) of the Kyokushin-kan International Honbu, one faction of the International Karate Organization (IKO) founded by Mas Oyama. Because of this, Taikiken attracted many budoka, particularly from Kyokushinkai Karatedo.

Published on Jul 13, 2014
On March 2, 2014 Naotake SHIMAMURA at Taikiken Shobu-kan has dedicated "Enbu (demonstration)" to the god of the shrine of Kandamyoujin to commemorate 59th anniversary of Fujiryu Taijutsu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuviTnUWcKU

Here is a very old video of Kenichi Sawai and Mas Oyama sparring:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwIML8gxhnk
Last edited by marvin8 on Wed May 31, 2017 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Ashura on Wed May 31, 2017 8:43 pm

Taste of Death wrote:Sawai Kenichi's taikiken is not yiquan but rather his interpretation of it. Or more correctly his misunderstanding of it. If one was skilled at yiquan why would they do karate?

It seems that Oyama sent some of his students to study with Sawai. Sawai's students would then engage in full contact sparring against some of the top Kyokushin guy like Yamaki Kenji and Matsui Shokei. There are some videos of the fights on youtube if you are interested. I do not think that Sawai' s students actually learnt any karate but some Karate/Kyokushin guys like Jan Kallenbach (former european champion) switched to Tai ki ken.
See where there is no shape, hear where there is no sound.

Väck ej björnen som sover.
Ashura
Mingjing

Return to Video Links