Tai ji basics.

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Tai ji basics.

Postby ashapaul on Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:36 am

Tai ji fundamentals everyone should know.
ashapaul
Anjing

Re: Tai ji basics.

Postby Subitai on Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:29 pm

ashapaul,
I assume since you posted this video, you won't mind some feedback?

Overall this would be a good video for the uninitiated. Ok...I can appreciate what this teacher is trying to show, in general all the skills being shown are good for the demo. BTW, are you the teacher in this vid?

However, the way this teacher is showing Lu vs his student (i.e. within the first 30sec)...it really only works because the student is too stiff and lacking a more important BASIC...i.e. "to relax and follow".

The reason I can say that with such certainty is because in most of the cases when the teachers "roll back" (which he is using in a more subduing fashion IMO...) is being applied, the teacher is attacking more than he is receiving. Which means the student should easily be able to relax / follow and not be subdued.

* IF he showed it when the student was definitively GIVING energy forward (Literally attacking) himself it would be better.

Also, he doesn't let the student do the same skill back to him...thus showing how he would counter it. IMO, the truth of that..."the how and the why" things are done, are MORE important as Taiji Fundamentals than what he is showing.

"O"
Subitai
Huajing

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:28 pm

Paul is the teacher.

Paul, how is your son's training coming along? It's been a while since I've seen "bagua boy" in action.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby zrm on Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Thanks for this
zrm
Huajing

Postby Bao on Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:16 am

Good vid, liked it. Unrehearsed and playful, just like TJQ should be. 8-)

...it really only works because the student is too stiff and lacking a more important BASIC...i.e. "to relax and follow".

Agreed. But below the vid says: "Tai ji fundamentals everyone should know." I guess it means that he show something to a person who doesn't have those fundamentals yet. Harder to teach or even show against someone who is better and tries his best.

* IF he showed it when the student was definitively GIVING energy forward (Literally attacking) himself it would be better.

Agreed. This is why I don't like the PH setting. It's hard for a lower level practitioner to give anything in a PH setting. The higher skilled person always dominate the game every second of it.

Also, he doesn't let the student do the same skill back to him...thus showing how he would counter it. IMO, the truth of that..."the how and the why" things are done, are MORE important as Taiji Fundamentals than what he is showing.

Again, the PH setting is not the bestone to demonstrate martial applications. I don't understand why people use PH to demonstrate self-defence or combat applications. It can only be artificial and it feels constructed. It's better to show by demonstrating how to deal with regular punches and kicks. If you play with PH, you can use punches, knees, elbows or attack with any part of the 7 stars. But then, IMHO, it should be done in the PH setting where the opponent has freedom to defend and counter these moves. The mix between a PH and a combat setting doesn't work in demonstrations of how to use TJQ. Just IMHO. ;)
Last edited by Bao on Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby RobP3 on Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:37 am

Bao wrote:
Again, the PH setting is not the best one to demonstrate martial applications. I don't understand why people use PH to demonstrate self-defence or combat applications.
It can only be artificial and it feels constructed.

You just answered your own question ;)
"Remember, if your life seems dull and boring - it is" Derek & Clive
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby chinwoo1956 on Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:36 am

Hi

Remember it is only push hands using movements from a form, the form is just a form and push hand is just a training drill, it would be good to see Paul using his skill that he shows in a realistic situation.
chinwoo1956
Mingjing

Postby califax on Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:40 am

Thanks for this video. Greatly appreciated.
"To establish bridge, I would Kai Shi with my Shou to his Zhou making sure I have rooted my Jiao in my Bu. Of Then with 100% Yi, I peng or Kou.
Or, for the 98% of MAists without their heads up their arse.....So, we clinch."
liokault
califax
Mingjing

Postby Trick on Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:46 am

chinwoo1956 wrote:Hi

Remember it is only push hands using movements from a form, the form is just a form and push hand is just a training drill, it would be good to see Paul using his skill that he shows in a realistic situation.

Hmmm 'the form is just a form' - not as i have learned and practise, the form is a method to practise the frame
Trick

Postby chinwoo1956 on Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:40 am

Yes OK
chinwoo1956
Mingjing

Return to Video Links