MMA vs Tai Chi is tai chi shit? — Master Wong

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: MMA vs Tai Chi is tai chi shit? — Master Wong

Postby Dmitri on Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:19 am

That was awesome. ;D

I'm not gonna throw him and try to make love with him. That's [makes air-quotes gesture] "different".

-lol-
Last edited by Dmitri on Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby cloudz on Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:47 am

Of course I will watch this and whatever the content I know he'll put a smile on my face..
It's impossible for me to hate on the guy whatever he comes out with, it would just feel wong :D
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:53 am

Well, I think he's right that 1) you won't be able to pick off every punch or kick. 2) It's a bad idea to simply back straight up while trying to evade. 3) You need some fighting attitude (even if it's "like a cat playing with a mouse." 4) Tcc works best at close range. 5) Pushing someone into something solid or the ground can be a good finishing technique.

Yeah, his whole 'shtick' is comic, but he raises some valid points.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve Rowe on Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:09 am

He's certainly got the Wong idea about Tai Chi...
If you see someone without a smile - give 'em one of yours...
Steve Rowe
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:20 am

:) He's not doing tcc. He's giving his impression.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:52 pm

He claims to be a tai chi teacher
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:04 pm

RobP3 wrote:
C.J.W. wrote:Actually, if it comes down to a challenge match or even a bar fight, I'd still bet my money on our beloved Master Wong over an average Taicheeeee maestro. ;)

The man is obviously in great shape, and he trains hard and knows how to apply his stuff against common attacks. His timing, footwork, and entry usually ain't bad either.

Am I a huge fan? Not really. But still, I feel like he deserves credit where it's due.

No, he is part of the problem! All his "stuff" is clearly choreographed, it's all just designed to impress. I know people who knew him before he was "Master Wong", believe me, it's all for show

That certainly casts a different light on things.

Thanks for the info.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:52 pm

wayne hansen wrote:He claims to be a tai chi teacher

Well, in the context of the mma v tcc event, I'm not sure that's the most significant aspect of his argument? Would his "fake" tcc have showed better than the tcc guy? Does Wong even say he's a master? I dunno. As I said, he's giving his impression of how he would use tcc to respond.

Ya know, there's very little that anyone could do to satisfy the entire tcc community, anyway. Might as well have some fun. And, c'mon, even with fake tcc, Wong is arguing that it can work against mma. Some would say that we need more of that, whether it satisfies everyone in the community of not.
Steve James
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Video Links