bagua

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

bagua

Postby windwalker on Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:07 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TL9Z5Q_CAo

Met Adam Hsu, long ago when he was teaching out in golden gate park, an area called the pan handle.
He mentions that "everyone should have their own bagua zhang" found this quite interesting as
my teacher in teaching me taiji said the same thing...
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Re: bagua

Postby Bob on Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:22 am

My understanding of Adam Hsu's "everyone should have their own bagua zhang" goes something like this:

1) One does have to learn the principles and jiben gong correctly - not a good idea to make up your own basic training and principles (saw some of this among relatively young "masters" who often used the idea of making it your own as a cover for filling gaps in their training that they did not get)

2) "everyone should have their own bagua zhang" often referred to all systems learned and that one should not blindly imitate the movements of your master including style of dress, eating habits, and overall mannerisms.

3) with good jiben gong and principles intact with lots of years of practice, one should not be blindly bound by forms or one set way of doing the form.

For example, in baji, single moving postures and drills are far more important than the forms themselves and at some stage there is a principle by which you can link up any set of single moving postures to create a form - some say the logic is bound in principles of yin yang, 5 phases and the bagua principles of understanding movement, change and transformation - all above my pay grade LOL

The exception in forms is xiao baji jia which, in my opinon, is really jiben gong training - it integrates the nei gong framework with structure and can be mapped onto da qiang training - integrating power and body alignment along with developing stillness, breath control, and full body utilization - this you really cannot make your own and even this training can be started in stationary postures which cannot be "made your own".
Last edited by Bob on Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:35 pm

Adam is very approachable, and one can ask him what he meant. I believe Bob has it right though - same as in any other art, after it becomes ingrained through proper instruction, training, and practice one can express it freely and express it as one pleases.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:03 pm

kenneth fish wrote:Adam is very approachable, and one can ask him what he meant. I believe Bob has it right though - same as in any other art, after it becomes ingrained through proper instruction, training, and practice one can express it freely and express it as one pleases.

I thought he was also, met him and some in his group while working out with Branden Lai's group in 7* mantis in the pan handle long ago.

While in China with my teachers group I had asked about the differences in taiji styles.

He said “ The names of the taiji styles come from famous family members who where historical taiji teachers. Yang, Wu, and Sun, or places where taiji was developed Chen village, Guang Ping village. When you understand taiji you can call what you do as you wish, you can name it "xxx taiji” He laughed as he said this. Suddenly he became more quiet, reflective, deep in thought and said “ there is only one taiji”

Many of the group members played the form a little to very differently depending on when they learned it from him, and skill sets being developed. In one sense as he mentioned he was helping people to really develop their own sense of taiji according to ability, talent and focus.....In another like any good coach he was helping people to develop their own unique flavor of taiji.

In my early days, this process was more direct with "Mike" in learning white crane....he would take people and have them develop things that he felt either by body type or natural attributes they would be pretty good at.

In my case it was "iron broom sweeps" when ever I went to the gym, I was not allowed to come out of the position of the sweep, basically sweeping my way across the gym or to what ever part I wanted to go to...very painful, really never developed it as much as I should have...
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby BruceP on Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:19 pm

windwalker wrote:
He said “ The names of the taiji styles come from famous family members who where historical taiji teachers. Yang, Wu, and Sun, or places where taiji was developed Chen village, Guang Ping village. When you understand taiji you can call what you do as you wish, you can name it "xxx taiji” He laughed as he said this. Suddenly he became more quiet, reflective, deep in thought and said “ there is only one taiji”

Many of the group members played the form a little to very differently depending on when they learned it from him, and skill sets being developed. In one sense as he mentioned he was helping people to really develop their own sense of taiji....In another like any good coach he was helping people to develop their own unique flavor of taiji.

In my early days, this process was more direct with "Mike" in learning white crane....he would take people and have them develop things that he felt either by body type or natural attributes they would be pretty good at.

In my case it was "iron broom sweeps" when ever I went to the gym, I was not allowed to come out of the position of the sweep, basically sweeping my way across the gym or to what ever part I wanted to go to...very painful, really never developed it as much as I should have...

Thanks for sharing.

That's pretty much what I took away from the tai chi I learned under 2 different Yang style teachers and a Wu style guy. Their respective philosophies on what tai chi chuan is supposed to be weren't very different from one another. It's that same approach to training tai chi that I've passed on to others.
BruceP
Great Old One

Return to Video Links