THE MARTIAL MAN: Chee Kim Thong — 5 Ancestors Fist

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

THE MARTIAL MAN: Chee Kim Thong — 5 Ancestors Fist

Postby marvin8 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:22 pm

Published on Jun 25, 2017
https://www.themartialman.com

In this exclusive 2 part interview, Yap Boh Heong gives a detailed explanation and demonstration of the unique fighting system known as 5 Ancestors Fist. Demonstrating the characteristics of each Ancestor art including the internal power generation and the history of how each of the arts arrived at the Southern Shaolin temple.

If you wish to contact Yap Boh Heong please email him directly at: [email protected]:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Aog6th-hjQ

Published on Jul 9, 2017

In part 2 of this interview, Yap Boh Heong and Ben Shue give a detailed explanation and demonstration of the unique fighting system known as 5 Ancestors Fist. Introducing the 6th Ancestor art of Wumei, the legendary kung fu nun from the Southern Shaolin temple:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4zjDlwyxDk
marvin8
Wuji
 
Posts: 611
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:30 pm

Re: THE MARTIAL MAN: Chee Kim Thong — 5 Ancestors Fist

Postby Taste of Death on Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:31 am

If this video doesn't put an end to the internal/external debate no video will.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
User avatar
Taste of Death
Wuji
 
Posts: 1118
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:07 pm
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: THE MARTIAL MAN: Chee Kim Thong — 5 Ancestors Fist

Postby Bao on Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:47 am

2nd one is a better Tai Chi video than most Tai Chi videos on the tubes. :P
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One
 
Posts: 5576
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 12:46 pm
Location: High up north

Re: THE MARTIAL MAN: Chee Kim Thong — 5 Ancestors Fist

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:40 pm

First let me say again that I haven't come across any external art that doesn't have noi gung and chi
It is the Shen fa that differs
When my teacher was studying tai chi in Penang his brother was studying 5 ancestors there
You just have to read some of Nigel Suttons books to see how intertwined the two arts are on the island
I really like the interview and how they apply the art
Saying that some things don't make sense
If Ng moi added the soft element at the outset why don't the other two lineages have it
It makes more sense that it was added later by some that had heard the story
Also I don't buy the interviewer being locked in space by one hand
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji
 
Posts: 2534
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:52 pm

Re: THE MARTIAL MAN: Chee Kim Thong — 5 Ancestors Fist

Postby Bao on Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:15 pm

wayne hansen wrote:If Ng moi added the soft element at the outset why don't the other two lineages have it
It makes more sense that it was added later by some that had heard the story


Yes, that makes more sense. 8-)

Also I don't buy the interviewer being locked in space by one hand


Where, do you mean when he says that he can't let go?
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One
 
Posts: 5576
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 12:46 pm
Location: High up north

Re: THE MARTIAL MAN: Chee Kim Thong — 5 Ancestors Fist

Postby Taste of Death on Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:11 pm

wayne hansen wrote:First let me say again that I haven't come across any external art that doesn't have noi gung and chi
It is the Shen fa that differs
When my teacher was studying tai chi in Penang his brother was studying 5 ancestors there
You just have to read some of Nigel Suttons books to see how intertwined the two arts are on the island
I really like the interview and how they apply the art
Saying that some things don't make sense
If Ng moi added the soft element at the outset why don't the other two lineages have it
It makes more sense that it was added later by some that had heard the story
Also I don't buy the interviewer being locked in space by one hand


Wayne, yiquan works this way, too. When you grab someone like that you become part of them and it's near impossible to let go.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
User avatar
Taste of Death
Wuji
 
Posts: 1118
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:07 pm
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: THE MARTIAL MAN: Chee Kim Thong — 5 Ancestors Fist

Postby everything on Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:05 pm

Liked that second video a lot (the only one I watched so far).

4 principles were interesting (in taiji terms):
sink (is this push down)
float (is this like peng)
draw (is this roll-back)
expel (is this press)

the part that is hard to buy ... you have to encounter some weird stuff IRL otherwise 100% I wouldn't buy it, either.

edit: the taijiquan video in this show series is great, too.
Last edited by everything on Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
User avatar
everything
Wuji
 
Posts: 3855
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 7:22 pm
Location: USA

Re: THE MARTIAL MAN: Chee Kim Thong — 5 Ancestors Fist

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:06 pm

Taste of Death wrote:
wayne hansen wrote:First let me say again that I haven't come across any external art that doesn't have noi gung and chi
It is the Shen fa that differs
When my teacher was studying tai chi in Penang his brother was studying 5 ancestors there
You just have to read some of Nigel Suttons books to see how intertwined the two arts are on the island
I really like the interview and how they apply the art
Saying that some things don't make sense
If Ng moi added the soft element at the outset why don't the other two lineages have it
It makes more sense that it was added later by some that had heard the story
Also I don't buy the interviewer being locked in space by one hand


Wayne, yiquan works this way, too. When you grab someone like that you become part of them and it's near impossible to let go.



I have yet to meet anyone with that power
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji
 
Posts: 2534
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:52 pm

Re: THE MARTIAL MAN: Chee Kim Thong — 5 Ancestors Fist

Postby Taste of Death on Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:28 pm

wayne hansen wrote:I have yet to meet anyone with that power


When one is double-weighted like the interviewer is it's impossible to regain one's balance. He's tipped like an oil barrel and can be easily controlled.
Last edited by Taste of Death on Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
User avatar
Taste of Death
Wuji
 
Posts: 1118
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:07 pm
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: THE MARTIAL MAN: Chee Kim Thong — 5 Ancestors Fist

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:37 pm

I get you now but even if double weighted surely he can just remove his arm
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji
 
Posts: 2534
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:52 pm

Re: THE MARTIAL MAN: Chee Kim Thong — 5 Ancestors Fist

Postby Bao on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:44 pm

wayne hansen wrote:
Taste of Death wrote:
Wayne, yiquan works this way, too. When you grab someone like that you become part of them and it's near impossible to let go.


I have yet to meet anyone with that power


Actually it's more of a personal trait. Some people grabs on and release very easily. Some others tend to lock up themselves easy and can have it difficult to release or unlock, especially if they are unbalanced (not only physically, but also mentally). It might be hard to put yourself into another person's shoes because insome respects we might sometimes be more different than we think. But I know this from personal experience because I have had this problem myself, that I in different situations have locked up my body, more or less involuntary, and have not been able to "unlock". So some of what the teacher in these clips does might work differently depending on what person he demonstrate his things on. You might say that he has an ideal opponent to demonstrate certain things on or maybe that he is very good to adapt his things to this person.
Last edited by Bao on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One
 
Posts: 5576
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 12:46 pm
Location: High up north

Re: THE MARTIAL MAN: Chee Kim Thong — 5 Ancestors Fist

Postby Taste of Death on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:38 pm

wayne hansen wrote:I get you now but even if double weighted surely he can just remove his arm


That's why the teacher laughs. It's a weird feeling to not be able to let go. It's always fun when someone experiences it for the first time. When the teacher has him like that he can't push off to right himself. The teacher is giving him no place to land. That's where the softness of the torso and arms traps him. Like the bird in the hand unable to fly away. It's trapped. But unlike that this is not a trick.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
User avatar
Taste of Death
Wuji
 
Posts: 1118
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:07 pm
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: THE MARTIAL MAN: Chee Kim Thong — 5 Ancestors Fist

Postby northern_mantis on Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:09 am

Fascinating stuff, thanks for sharing. Though I couldn't help but be distracted by wondering what it would be like to be thrown on that floor!!! :o

Anybody know what lineage it is specifically and whether there is any books on the history of it?
northern_mantis
Huajing
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:55 am

Re: THE MARTIAL MAN: Chee Kim Thong — 5 Ancestors Fist

Postby middleway on Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:15 am

Actually it's more of a personal trait. Some people grabs on and release very easily. Some others tend to lock up themselves easy and can have it difficult to release or unlock, especially if they are unbalanced (not only physically, but also mentally). It might be hard to put yourself into another person's shoes because insome respects we might sometimes be more different than we think. But I know this from personal experience because I have had this problem myself, that I in different situations have locked up my body, more or less involuntary, and have not been able to "unlock". So some of what the teacher in these clips does might work differently depending on what person he demonstrate his things on. You might say that he has an ideal opponent to demonstrate certain things on or maybe that he is very good to adapt his things to this person.


IMO if this trait is seen then other training should stop and the teacher should do everything they can to get the student out of this problem. This is a huge weakness.

I have had a few people i have taught who would 'overreact' / have a strange reaction to something i did very regularly. It is something that i wont allow and will tell them they have to work to stop acting that way .. i never see this in people who spar or free grapple alot though ;)

That said I enjoyed the Martial Man episode. :)
Last edited by middleway on Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji
 
Posts: 4244
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 2:25 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: THE MARTIAL MAN: Chee Kim Thong — 5 Ancestors Fist

Postby Ian on Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:52 am

middleway wrote:IMO if this trait is seen then other training should stop and the teacher should do everything they can to get the student out of this problem. This is a huge weakness.

I have had a few people i have taught who would 'overreact' / have a strange reaction to something i did very regularly. It is something that i wont allow and will tell them they have to work to stop acting that way .. i never see this in people who spar or free grapple alot though ;)


I strongly agree.
Ian
Great Old One
 
Posts: 5633
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 12:22 am

Next

Return to Video Links

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest