THE MARTIAL MAN: Chee Kim Thong — 5 Ancestors Fist

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: THE MARTIAL MAN: Chee Kim Thong — 5 Ancestors Fist

Postby middleway on Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:16 am

S- Kicks up feet, cracks beer.


Cracks beer as well and smiles! :) No butthurtedness here. Happy training all! :D
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji
 
Posts: 4267
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 2:25 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: THE MARTIAL MAN: Chee Kim Thong — 5 Ancestors Fist

Postby Taste of Death on Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:14 am

middleway wrote:
S- Kicks up feet, cracks beer.


Cracks beer as well and smiles! :) No butthurtedness here. Happy training all! :D


+1
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
User avatar
Taste of Death
Wuji
 
Posts: 1118
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:07 pm
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: THE MARTIAL MAN: Chee Kim Thong — 5 Ancestors Fist

Postby Bao on Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:31 pm

northern_mantis wrote:However I took something slightly differently from the video, rightly or wrongly, in that they were trying to get him to maintain grip against his intent. Was this not your interpretation?


I don't understand why this should be a goal. If you can make the method work, you'll make it work. If not, you change. No, I don't believe you can make it happen against everyone or in any situation.

On a side-note: I remember one day for approx ten years ago when I was not in very good shape mentally speaking because of personal, family related matters. I got into a quarrel with a guy (mostly my own fault) and it almost turned into a fight. He got hold on the sleeves to my jacket. I decided to not try to do anything at all, so I just stood there waiting, staring at him until he got tired and calmed down. Although I have made my stupid share of fighting, the thing for me this particular day was that I just could not sink, I didn't manage to relax or breath properly and sink down my weight. There was no Tai Chi for me that day, I was completely blocked. So this is also another aspect of reality: you never know how you will react in a situation depending on your own daily shape. I bet that many people who believe that they could easily let go of their own grip, and someone who usually could do so, could find himself in a similar situation, tricked and immobilised by his own mind. You never know how you will react in a real situation or what will affect you to react or behave a certain way. Anything can happen. What happens on street will be nothing like a friendly sparring match or like a sports match when you have months to prepare yourself both physically and mentally.

... Just a general reflection, not meant as lecturing anyone.
Last edited by Bao on Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One
 
Posts: 5663
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 12:46 pm
Location: High up north

Re: THE MARTIAL MAN: Chee Kim Thong — 5 Ancestors Fist

Postby Trick on Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:38 pm

Bao wrote:
northern_mantis wrote:However I took something slightly differently from the video, rightly or wrongly, in that they were trying to get him to maintain grip against his intent. Was this not your interpretation?


I don't understand why this should be a goal. If you can make the method work, you'll make it work. If not, you change. No, I don't believe you can make it happen against everyone or in any situation.

On a side-note: I remember one day for approx ten years ago when I was not in very good shape mentally speaking because of personal, family related matters. I got into a quarrel with a guy (mostly my own fault) and it almost turned into a fight. He got hold on the sleeves to my jacket. I decided to not try to do anything at all, so I just stood there waiting, staring at him until he got tired and calmed down. Although I have made my stupid share of fighting, the thing for me this particular day was that I just could not sink, I didn't manage to relax or breath properly and sink down my weight. There was no Tai Chi for me that day, I was completely blocked. So this is also another aspect of reality: you never know how you will react in a situation depending on your own daily shape. I bet that many people who believe that they could easily let go of their own grip, and someone who usually could do so, could find himself in a similar situation, tricked and immobilised by his own mind. You never know how you will react in a real situation or what will affect you to react or behave a certain way. Anything can happen. What happens on street will be nothing like a friendly sparring match or like a sports match when you have months to prepare yourself both physically and mentally.

... Just a general reflection, not meant as lecturing anyone.

For sure your Taiji/martial awareness was gone, don't let anyone (agressively) take a hold on you, unless you want that as some sort of set up. If you had crossed trained some jujutsu/judo, hell even aikido you would been more prepared for the suprised lapel grabb- anyway it turned out fine, somehow yours 20+ years of Taiji experience shone through ;)
Trick
Huajing
 
Posts: 379
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:30 am

Re: THE MARTIAL MAN: Chee Kim Thong — 5 Ancestors Fist

Postby Bao on Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:19 am

Trick wrote:If you had crossed trained some jujutsu/judo, hell even aikido you would been more prepared for the suprised lapel grabb-


Agreed. Some BJJ and Judo experience is good for general preparedness.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One
 
Posts: 5663
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 12:46 pm
Location: High up north

Re: THE MARTIAL MAN: Chee Kim Thong — 5 Ancestors Fist

Postby windwalker on Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:15 am

I would not agree. taiji, bjj, judo, ect are all methods.

what they teach is dependent on focus.

The eight trigrams and five elements are innate within us. You must first understand that they are based in these four terms: perception, realization, activation, action. [These four terms amount to “moving with awareness”.

This is a breakdown of four words – 知, 覺, 運, 動 – which would typically, and especially so for modern Chinese speakers, only be considered as two terms: 知覺 and 運動. To break movement (運動) and awareness (知覺) into their component parts results in: moving = the activation (運) of movement + the act (動) of moving, and awareness = the perception (覺) that something is + the realization (知) of what it is. In short, moving with awareness.

https://brennantranslation.wordpress.co ... i-fa-shuo/

"moving with awareness" can be achieved though any practice dependent on the practices focus and intent.
rule 19
windwalker
Wuji
 
Posts: 5979
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:08 am

Re: THE MARTIAL MAN: Chee Kim Thong — 5 Ancestors Fist

Postby Bao on Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:37 pm

Very simple, if you know how an experience wrestler moves, you will can spot one if you meet one and plan your action accordingly. It's better to have a striking game plan and try to avoid clinches against a good wrestler. If you can't spot one you won't have the same advantage.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One
 
Posts: 5663
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 12:46 pm
Location: High up north

Previous

Return to Video Links

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest