Yang-style Taijiquan Da Shou — Instituto Movimiento y Salud

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Yang-style Taijiquan Da Shou — Instituto Movimiento y Salud

Postby marvin8 on Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:12 am

Published on Jul 21, 2017
2017 MASICH INTERNAL ARTS FULL CURRICULUM WEEK
Taiji hitting-hands (dǎshǒu 打手)—also known as Taiji ‘linking-fist’ methods (tàijí liánhuánquánfǎ 太極連環拳法) performed by Instituto Movimiento y Salud: Javier Arnanz, Maribel Brito, Jaime Forcada, Ayax Pradas, Irene Arnanz, Marta Fernández, Santiago Arnanz, Pedro Belandia from Madrid, Spain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcOBJ4YAtds

Published on Aug 7, 2016
Former masters practiced chained fist methods (lianhuanquan 太極 連環 拳) in preparation for hand push training. These methods are part of taijiquan training although they are little known:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzqXKhoO7KE
marvin8
Wuji

Re: Yang-style Taijiquan Da Shou — Instituto Movimiento y Salud

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:35 pm

Basic Wu style pushing hands not done very well
I think a lot of that blocking with the elbows would lead to bad habits in real life
Saying that it looks like fun
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:47 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Basic Wu style pushing hands not done very well
I think a lot of that blocking with the elbows would lead to bad habits in real life
Saying that it looks like fun

I agree. IMO, they should not jump into sparring right after that step.

They should keep the same concepts/principles (e.g., 13 postures). Then, include realistic, middle to long range, speed, absence of contact and movement drills with a coach/partner to feed them energy; moves that are proven to work in competition: :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZV48UTzlgo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNtKOc_IB58
Last edited by marvin8 on Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Rhen on Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:37 am

I agree, this is a bad representation of Da Shou. they are training bad habits and bound to get hurt.
Rhen

Postby Subitai on Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:17 pm

I disagree completely... Judging only from those 2 short Youtube videos i'm not going to put those people down.

1st, If I'm reading the name correctly Masich? As in Sam Masich? Is this one of his schools? I never met the guy but I have heard of him and he does seem to have most of the "CHECKBOXES" required by any modern Tai chi teacher and then some.

Just from those short little drills they are doing... I wouldn't judge them wrong. So long as that's NOT the ONLY thing they do. To me it looks like simple drilling that any other schools could do as part of their curriculum.

I guarantee...if the same movements were being done by some Chinese people in China (as opposed to Spain) ... it would have been better received. There are plenty of videos done by Asians that Suck IMO and people just assume they know what they are talking about.

Don't get me started on bad habits! How many teachers out there have their students jumping and hopping with the slighting hand gesture? My ass...those are far worse then what these people are doing.

As Wayne kind of alluded to about it being fun...and I will at to it; if it seems like fun for them and it keeps them engrossed in Tai Chi...all the better. Because it just might keep someone interested long enough to really study TC seriously.
Subitai
Huajing

Postby jaime_g on Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:42 pm

I've met these spanish guys. They are very kind, very gentle, very nice, lovely people. They arent fighters and dont train fighting
Last edited by jaime_g on Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jaime_g
Wuji

Postby Subitai on Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:57 pm

jaime_g wrote:I've met these spanish guys. They are very kind, very gentle, very nice, lovely people. They arent fighters and dont train fighting

Well...you just described about 95% of the Tai Chi practicing world and that doesn't mean that one of them couldn't still punch you in the face! ;D

I teach to fight in my main classes but I also teach other classes that don't focus on that so much...really I can't because it's the YMCA and for them it's more about health.

That doesn't take away from the value and other positives that they get from the class.

I would still rather do this type stuff and then go pursue sparring separately on my own...before I would study at a school that brainwashes me into jumping and hopping.
Last edited by Subitai on Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Subitai
Huajing

Postby windwalker on Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:33 pm

Subitai wrote: I would still rather do this type stuff and then go pursue sparring separately on my own...before I would study at a school that brainwashes me into jumping and hopping.

Interesting.

BT addresses this in his commentary. He does not seem to be brain washed.

"got to be in the game to understand the game"
BT"

07:36

watch the teachers reactions to what he shows BT.
BT says he can not feel what he is doing that causes it,
but starts to get it towards the end....

"if I feel you, I'm not neutralizing you"
BT"

Very hard concept to work with :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju9zgkJC9T8

Most in the hands of a skilled practitioner will react the same in most cases
within the context presented.

Whether this is useful, or transfers into a useful skill depends.
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Return to Video Links