3rd Loosening Exercise: Huang, Crawford, McGregor & Portal

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: 3rd Loosening Exercise: Huang, Crawford, McGregor & Portal

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:36 pm

Huangs exercises have some white crane influence in how they are done but each one of the 5 can be found in sets that predate Huang
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby I-mon on Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:41 pm

It's worth pointing out that Ido isn't Connor's main fight trainer, AFAIK he's there to provide some different ideas, and because Connor himself was already into experimenting with different ways of moving for his own enjoyment, and because he feels it helps him as a fighter. I also doubt very much that the few things they choose to show in demonstrations are a big or important part of their training together, in fact they're just as likely to be trolling the viewers and deliberately making people think they're a bit weird and goofy. Ido's made quite a few trips to Russia in the past (so he told me) and he speaks very highly of the Russian and old Soviet sports and exercise scientists' work, so I'm sure he's found plenty of material to work with from there as well.

I'd guess that Connor isn't training with Steve directly because he (Steve) sometimes comes across as a nutter so maybe he's not particularly good for business. It's a shame how it all turned out.

As for the shaking and swinging moves, I have yet to encounter any Chinese martial art school that doesn't incorporate some versions of them in the warmups and foundational exercises. I'd agree that they're pretty fundamental for relaxation, heavy hands, leg power, shoulder health, and the neck, back, chest, ribcage, waist and hips.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby Patrick on Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:12 am

Last edited by Patrick on Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.dhyana-fitness.at- The philosophy and practice of a healthy life
Patrick
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:26 am

Published on Jul 31, 2014
This video is about How to relax upper traps and to improve hand speed and power:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqn77ctXWfg

Comments:
JT Van V (puncher in video) 3 years ago
looking nice. I'll add what I felt. By doing the scapula pull using the band with your shoulders dropped and traps relaxed you instinctively figure out what it means to keep your upper traps relaxed. Once you know this feeling then you have to retain it and bring it to your boxing. One good way is to do the exercise, then immediately after throw power punches keeping the same posture of upper traps relaxed. In my opinion good boxers who started young will naturally have this position from throwing thousands of punches. But not so for the beginner or late starter.

Published on Jul 31, 2014
This video is about Boxing drills to relax the shoulders for faster hands:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EVcGAsiRxg

Published on Mar 25, 2013
A quick easy way to relax your body in a fight. Learning how to relax while fighting is one of the most crucial skills you need in boxing. It's tempting to tense up and feel powerful but you end up wasting energy and getting tired easily that way. Learning how to relax is all about finding your neutral center so that you can save energy when you're not doing anything.

Relaxing is not about doing less. If anything the goal of relaxing during a fight is to allow you to do more! In the video, I show you how to relax your upper body:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMA6FT4noe0

Published on Sep 26, 2012
Learn how to adjust your boxing technique to keep your shoulders from getting tired prematurely when you stand or punch. These small adjustments will help conserve the energy in your shoulders to stay relaxed so you can fight, throw punches, and defend for longer periods of time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCMF_KAaj_8
Last edited by marvin8 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby RobP3 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:15 am

middleway wrote:

Rob, doesnt the Russian Shashka use similar arm movements now i think about it?

thanks.

Hi mate
Yep, totally. My feeling is that a large amount of RMA empty hand work is based on weapons. After all, in a warrior society people would have used weapons much more readily than working H2H. One of my regular exercises is the sledgehammer work along similar patterns, found it very useful for striking work.

The Figure 8 also features at some point. Though I have found as the work advances it becomes much less overt or even present. The top guys barely use it all IME, they are much more about bringing the body's density to bear at certain points. This also removes the need for ground support, movement chains etc, it's something I'm just beginning to touch on. That brings me back to my point with these "weird" exercises. If people went to the source, be it RMA, Steve Morris, CIMA, etc, etc I'm sure they would get much more from it than...a weird exercise. Trouble is it might mean challenging their wold view, which I guess for a high earning fighter is potentially a difficult situation

cheers
Last edited by RobP3 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Remember, if your life seems dull and boring - it is" Derek & Clive
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:42 am

The difference with this is the hands lead the body rather than the body leading the hands
A small point but a vital one in the supply of power
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:13 am

Patrick wrote:

Thanks for posting that Patrick just watched some of his other clips
I really like this guy even though I don't think this is his best video
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:50 am

wayne hansen wrote:
Patrick wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31UIlhawS-I

Thanks for posting that Patrick just watched some of his other clips
I really like this guy even though I don't think this is his best video

I liked the clip. He got the basic idea right of relaxing, momentum, whole body movement and gravity. If he trusted the method the whole way and didn't add to, or replace the force, at the end like he does now, the execution would have been better though. I don't think that this method goes perfectly hand in hand with Karate style techniques.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:10 pm

It's some of his other clips on attitude I like more
I think the mechanics of Shotokan are a little hard to fit inside the method he talks about
It is like Conor doing the exercise above his mechanics don't match the exercise
wayne hansen
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links