Liang DeHua — Yang Taiji: Push Hands, Apps, Seize & Fa, etc.

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Liang DeHua — Yang Taiji: Push Hands, Apps, Seize & Fa, etc.

Postby Bhassler on Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:11 am

windwalker wrote:This is a better example in a training environment although it covers a lot more then then your question.
I like this teachers explanations, and demos. Interesting enough his movements remind me of mine
using basic foot work and stepping... ;) viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25747

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ttVm3Gig1E

Granted, this is just a demo, but whenever I see something like this, all I can think is "bad fighty technique". Note the speed and power present in the "sparring". If you're moving at that speed with that kind of power, and your opponent just laughs and comes back for more, something is wrong from a fighting perspective. One of the reasons I prefer slower demos with more realistic applications.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:11 pm

Granted, this is just a demo, but whenever I see something like this, all I can think is "bad fighty technique".

Interesting, the teacher and group I was told do accept visitors 8-) all the time.
Felt the teachers perspective was unique based on his emphases on foot work, distancing and angles.
The training shown, not really demos IMO not for outside,
had clear explanations and showed obvious fun in a very relaxed training environment.

An old poster here did the translation and voice over of his teacher shown in the clips,,,,

Guo Shilei is a young martial arts teacher in the city of Dongguan, in Guangdong (Canton) province. He teaches the 3 big CIMA: taiji, bagua and xingyi, but I decided to include him in this blog because his bagua comes from one of Dong Haichuan’s favourite students, Ma Weiqi (nicknamed ‘coal Ma’). His lineage comes down to him through: Ma Weiqi – Yang Rulin – Hu Laiyi – Wang Jiaofu – Shi Chongying – Guo Shilei. The following extract was translated from an article in the Guangzhou Ribao (Guangzhou Daily).

“So why did you come to Dongguan then?” said our reporter, curiously. “I came to be with my girlfriend, who works in the import/export trade, at a company at Hongmei [a district of Dongguan]. When I first got here, I worked in a factory, but I discovered that I had no time to practice my martial arts that way. So instead, I opened a Tae Kwon Do studio in Hongmei, I already have 30 students.”

“Why don’t you teach taiji?” “At the very beginning I performed a bajiquan [8-extremes boxing] routine, only to have a lot of the audience say, “Oh, so this is what Tae Kwon Do looks like!”, which both annoyed and saddened me. In order to make ends meet, I had no choice but to choose this fashionable name. But as long as the students are willing to study taiji, I’m willing to teach.”

Accepting 3 Disciples in People’s Park

“I’ve been practicing in People’s Park for about a month now, I’ve already accepted 3 disciples.” Guo told our reporter frustratedly: “A lot of the onlookers in the park think that what I do with my students is faked. Actually, the taiji that you see in most DVDs, parks, etc is, at most, just ‘taiji cao’ (calisthenics), not real kungfu.” Guo is extremely worried about the future of traditional kungfu:

“Nowadays, flashy routines are easy to teach and marketable, whereas real kungfu is difficult to teach and no-one wants to learn it.

Martial arts in this country have become mere performance, there are fewer and fewer teachers with real skill.

https://sites.google.com/site/baguamawe ... guo-shilei

a very sincere humble teacher,,,

Background
The Chinese martial arts are dying out. History has its reasons: the advent of modern warfare; the dominance of performance Wushu since Mao; traditional secrecy and conservatism. Then there is the misrepresentation: 'Kungfu' movies; practitioners with the tradition but not the skill; systems which emphasize peripheral aspects at the expense of the martial. Image

This diverts many real fighters away from these great arts to ones being tried and tested in sporting arenas.

https://sites.google.com/site/baguamawe ... ur-mission
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Rhen on Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:46 am

Here is an article on "5 hammers" fists of yang tai chi.

http://polariswushu.net/blog/2015/03/01/taiji-da-shou-5-hammers-of-yang-taijiquan/

Glad to see guys exposing the more pugilistic side of Tai chi "Chuan".
Rhen

Postby Bhassler on Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:40 am

Just to be clear, I didn't mean my comments as a criticism of the teacher/group at all. Just a random comment about what's become the norm for demos these days. Sadly, a lot of schools just train towards that, thinking that's all there is and that it's sufficient for fighting/self-defense.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby Aqui on Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:42 pm

This is an old sparring clip of Liang DeHua:

Aqui
Anjing

Postby Rhen on Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:50 am

sparring clip was weak, not my cup of tea. He def shows skill, but question everything. obviously has a group of beginners he can easily dominate. With video editing, it is also important to not show when you actually do get punched and pushed. Just show how you can dominate just about anyone.
Rhen

Postby marvin8 on Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:58 am

Aqui wrote:This is an old sparring clip of Liang DeHua:

This seems to be a spontaneous, light sparring session. I do not see the use of na jin with fa jin and "control at the contact point."

Liang DeHua had to work a lot harder to finish. :)
marvin8
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:39 pm

Not high quality
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:51 am

Added released Part 2 video to the OP. :)

THE MARTIAL MAN
Published on Oct 1, 2017

Sifu Liang De Hua (Part 2) The History Of Yang Style Fa Jin - THE MARTIAL MAN. (See OP.)
marvin8
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links