Bruce Lee's One Inch Punch Demo & Explanation | Jeet Kune Do

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Bruce Lee's One Inch Punch Demo & Explanation | Jeet Kune Do

Postby Bao on Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:35 pm

"In this photo you can see that Lee is standing sideways to his partner in white. This is a big telltale for a push instead of a punch. If he was going to do a real punch then he should be facing his partner straight forward.
...his one inch punch was not a real one inch punch at all but was a one or six inch push with several props to make them look impressive."

And the pics only showed how he started, with his hand very close, but they didn't show how he pulled back his hand several inches, often about ten cm before performing his "one inch punch", or more properly "three inch push". :-\

I can't really understand why people were so impressed. But I guess, most people only knew about Karate style punching with large evident pull-back before striking. :P
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby willie on Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:40 pm

He just made things look cool so people were blown away by that, I guess. To me, it's really not that impressive
willie
Wuji

Postby Overlord on Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:54 am

willie wrote:He just made things look cool so people were blown away by that, I guess. To me, it's really not that impressive

It’s funny how Bruce Lee was praised in the MMA community, by people like Mike Tyson and all~
But shitted and discredited on a kungfu forum like this~
Funny

I guess you can’t make everyone happy,
And certainly you can’t talk summer with a snow man~ 不與夏蟲語冰。
This is my final thought on this thread.
Last edited by Overlord on Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
-saber-

芳菲闌珊,夙緣鶗鴃,風駟雲軒,愁誓約。
夜蝶飛階,霎微雨闕,劍鋒無情,人葬月。
"Brother Suck"
"Be ware of your prostate gland"~ Yeung
Overlord
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:55 am

Overlord wrote:It’s funny how Bruce Lee was praised in the MMA community, by people like Mike Tyson and all~
Funny

https://youtube.com/watch?v=GwPD9UgAohE

I guess you can’t make everyone happy,
And certainly you can’t talk summer with a snow man~ 不與夏蟲語冰。
This is my final thought on this thread.

He influenced a lot of people and reached an inner and outer alignment with his thoughts and physical expressions of them.

I maintain that Truth is a pathless land, and you cannot approach it by any path whatsoever, by any religion, by any sect.

That is my point of view, and I adhere to that absolutely and unconditionally. Truth, being limitless, unconditioned, unapproachable by any path whatsoever, cannot be organized; nor should any organization be formed to lead or to coerce people along any particular path. If you first understand that, then you will see how impossible it is to organize a belief. Krishnamurti

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yCeduVJW9s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2clpHtV1iA
Last edited by windwalker on Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
rule 19
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Bao on Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:59 am

It’s funny how Bruce Lee was praised in the MMA community, by people like Mike Tyson and all~
Funny

He was and he is still a great inspiration for many. And he has meant a whole lot to balance an earlier very negative picture of the Chinese man to create a more positive one, more than most people realize or would accept.

This is still not a reason to worship him. He had good things and bad things like anyone else. There is no reason to only praise anyone who is a human being with all of the contradictory personality traits just like everyone else.
Last edited by Bao on Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby oragami_itto on Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:16 am

He was and is amazing. He trained his body from the moment he woke till the moment he went to sleep. The particular demo is oversold and underwhelming.
"This principle is very obvious and requires no further elaboration."
-Yang Cheng Fu
oragami_itto
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:02 am

Overlord wrote:
willie wrote:He just made things look cool so people were blown away by that, I guess. To me, it's really not that impressive

To take what Bruce did over 40 years ago as dogma without thought is against the JKD philosophy. Bruce Lee was changing as a martial artist. If he were alive today, he may have evolved his style using modern technology/knowledge and relied less on speed and power.

Besides the one inch punch, that day Bruce also demonstrated his fighting skills (e.g., 5 ways of attack, timing, distance, broken rhythm, etc.) against a moving, resistant opponent.

Dawud Bryant
Published on Oct 30, 2017:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix5TQRnwWrY

TheWeasle
Published on Oct 26, 2017

Here I will break down and analyze the skills of Bruce Lee in his 1967 sparring. How good was he for his time? How would he translate to today? Was he really ahead of his time? Was he just overrated?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5KBnA-2NBg
Last edited by marvin8 on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby willie on Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:57 pm

Overlord wrote:
Funny.

Oh come on man don't you think you're being kind of harsh? I didn't crap on him and I didn't see anybody else doing that either. everything is just a matter of personal preference and personal experiences. I prefer a rooted Stance and not to bounce around. I actually owned a copy of his book that he wrote. I don't remember what it was called it was long time ago. Book had some good information in it about beats, half beats and things like that, if I remember correctly. but with the feet bouncing around as he often did on film, he was actually creating the beat and half beat that left him vulnerable for attack. If someone had rushed him while his feet were in the air from all that bouncing, he might have been easily defeated.
Last edited by willie on Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
willie
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:22 am

Bruce was a gifted martial artist in terms natural talents like speed, explosive power, and reflexes. I remember reading somewhere that top Karate/kickboxing competitors of the 60s and 70s like Joe Lewis, Bill Wallace, and Chuck Norris were all in awe of his physical prowess.

Too bad he died young. If he was still alive today, it would be interesting to see how his fighting style evolved as he grew older and could no longer rely on his youthful athleticism to get the job done.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby RobP3 on Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:44 am

C.J.W. wrote:
Too bad he died young. If he was still alive today, it would be interesting to see how his fighting style evolved as he grew older and could no longer rely on his youthful athleticism to get the job done.

I often think the same about others who left us too soon, such as Hendrix in the musical field.
It's interesting to speculate isn't it.

"Remember, if your life seems dull and boring - it is" Derek & Clive
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Huajing

Postby willie on Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:23 pm

C.J.W. wrote:
Too bad he died young. If he was still alive today, it would be interesting to see how his fighting style evolved

Well, if he was lucky enough, then he would have ran into legitimate Tai Chi Masters that would have paper dolled him like a toy. Then he would have stopped defying real Masters and learned instead of his Brash Behavior.
willie
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:50 pm

willie wrote:
C.J.W. wrote:
Too bad he died young. If he was still alive today, it would be interesting to see how his fighting style evolved

Well, if he was lucky enough, then he would have ran into legitimate Tai Chi Masters that would have paper dolled him like a toy. Then he would have stopped defying real Masters and learned instead of his Brash Behavior.

Do you have a sparring/fighting video of these "legitimate Tai Chi Masters that would have paper dolled him like a toy?" ;) Bruce did run into a Tai Chi master.

Excerpt from 7 things you didn’t know about Bruce Lee, http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/vault/b ... ruce-lee/8:
Kirik Jenness on Friday, August 26, 2016 wrote:BRUCE LEE’S FIRST MARTIAL ART WAS TAI CHI

Bruce Lee is one of the most influential martial artists of all time. His films and teaching put a particular emphasis on striking violently. However, his first martial art was the meditative Tai Chi.

He learned it from his father.

Many years later, Lee appeared on a television show, and was challenged by a Tai Chi master to push him out of a theoretically immovable stance.

Lee flattened the master with a blow.

“I don’t push,” he said. “I punch.”

Bruce may have studied Tai Chi more in depth, if he lived longer. He had studied some Tai Chi, when he was younger.

Excerpt from Last Interview of the late Dan Lee (1930-2015),
http://www.network54.com/Forum/256969/message/1474098274/PART+4+of+5-+Last+Interview+of+the+late+Dan+Lee+%281930-2015%29:
Chinese Wushu magazine on May 2015 wrote:Q52: We ever saw you playing Tai Chi in a video clip of Bruce’s backyard training video. Under what circumstance was that clip being filmed? Was Bruce really interested in Tai Chi Chuan?

DL: Once, Bruce asked me, “Dan, didn’t you learn Tai Chi Chuan before?” I replied, “Yes, just for a year. My teacher is Master Tung.” He said, “Alright, then show it to me, I will film it down.” At that time, Bruce had just bought a new home video camera, which cost him over US$1,000. It’s a brand new technological product that was released in the market but not many people had owned it then. I told him, “Bruce, I’m not good in it.” He said, “I don’t care, you just demonstrate it to me.” So, I showed him the complete form of Yang style Tai Chi Chuan. Bruce then said, “I will keep this footage as a record and put it in my study room. In the future, if there’s opportunity after my retirement, remind me that I ought to really go deeply into the learning of Tai Chi Chuan, the nature of water, soft and hard, etc. I’ll use a year to study it.” However, after Bruce’s passing, I have totally forgotten about this incident.

One day, Linda was tidying up the study room and she saw the video footage. She was surprised to see me playing Tai Chi Chuan. I told her “Don’t see it, that is too immature and horrible, I just learnt for a year and have not properly mastered it then.” I watched it myself and thought wow, it’s really no good and I felt quite embarrassed to see it. In fact, Bruce at that time wasn’t really wanted to learn Tai Chi Chuan from me. He just wanted to keep a record as a reminder to himself so that by the time he retired, he would then have time to study more in-depth about the Ying-Yang theories plus the soft Kung Fu. Also, he planned to put in time and effort to specially study Tai Chi. Unfortunately, he had no more such opportunity.

Bruce Lee and Tai Chi, http://martialmusings.com/jkd/bruce-lee-and-tai-chi/:
Steven Russell on Jun 1, 2017 wrote:While going through some old archival footage (left over on some old hard drives I have), I came across this gem of a video of Bruce Lee demonstrating Tai Chi Chuan (Tai Ji Quan).

Most probably know that Bruce Lee had been taught some of the fundamentals of Tai Ji (more specifically, Wu style) from his father Lee Hoi Chuen. Towards the end of his life, the elder Lee, also studied some (Yang-style) Tai Ji with Liang Zi Peng, who was also a teacher of other internal martial arts (namely Yi Quan). Because of this connection, it has been suggested that Bruce had received some additional training in internal martial arts from him.
Bruce Lee & his father, Lee Hoi Chuen, practicing Tai Ji in Hong Kong. (1958)

The story goes that Lee Hoi Chuen had asked Liang to show Bruce some gung fu during one of his trips to China since Bruce was such an avid practitioner of gung fu.

It is said that Liang taught Bruce some of the basic principles of Yi Quan… to me this is interesting since Yi Quan is known to be a principle based art that eschews forms practice, and believe one ought to not be bound by any one method… sound familiar?

If you’re familiar with Tai Ji, you’ll recognize the section above as the pushing movements leading into the “single whip” posture (which looks to me like Wu style because of a smaller frame).

As a side note, did you know that while in Hong Kong, Bruce Lee had also received some training in Choi Lai Fut under Chen Nian Bo, as well as Jing Wu martial arts by Xiao Han Sheng. He had also received some training in Hung Gar. This was of course in addition to his Wing Chun training.

Also, during his time in Seattle, Bruce was under the guidance of Master Fook Yeung, a well-known master of Red Boat Wing Chun.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby willie on Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:17 pm

marvin8 wrote:Do you have a sparring/fighting video of these "legitimate Tai Chi Masters that would have paper dolled him like a toy?" ;)

DL: Once, Bruce asked me, “Dan, didn’t you learn Tai chi? “Bruce, I’m not good in it.”
yeah I do, right in my living room. And no Chuck Norris said that Bruce Lee was unable to defend any of his kicks. Chuck Norris also said that he was the one that actually taught Bruce Lee how to do high kicks because he could neither defend them or had them. Gene lebell torqued Bruce Lee as well. Obviously the guy was very good, but it was Hollywood that actually wanted to portray him as unbeatable.
Last edited by willie on Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
willie
Wuji

Postby oragami_itto on Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:30 pm

Just to be clear, Willie, you're saying you could paper doll Bruce Lee like a toy?
Last edited by oragami_itto on Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This principle is very obvious and requires no further elaboration."
-Yang Cheng Fu
oragami_itto
Wuji

Postby willie on Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:35 pm

oragami_itto wrote:Just to be clear, Willie, you're saying you could paper doll Bruce Lee like a toy?

Dude are you kidding me? Let's just say that you're a bit more impressed than I am and leave it at that.
willie
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links