Bruce Lee's One Inch Punch Demo & Explanation | Jeet Kune Do

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Bruce Lee's One Inch Punch Demo & Explanation | Jeet Kune Do

Postby origami_itto on Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:58 pm

You know, willie. You're half the reason I stick around this board anymore.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby willie on Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:24 pm

oragami_itto wrote:You know, willie. You're half the reason I stick around this board anymore.
Ah,yes. The entertainment.
willie

Postby marvin8 on Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:20 pm

willie wrote:
marvin8 wrote:Do you have a sparring/fighting video of these "legitimate Tai Chi Masters that would have paper dolled him like a toy?" ;)

DL: Once, Bruce asked me, “Dan, didn’t you learn Tai chi? “Bruce, I’m not good in it.”
And no Chuck Norris said that Bruce Lee was unable to defend any of his kicks.

Do you have a video or link of Chuck making this statement? Otherwise, you may be slandering Chuck Norris and Bruce Lee.

At 2:27 is what Chuck did say. "We were respectful to each other as we worked out and sparred."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5j6WFVHDEI&t=2m27s

willie wrote:Chuck Norris also said that he was the one that actually taught Bruce Lee how to do high kicks because he could neither defend them or had them.

However, Chuck said he met Bruce in 1968. But, Bruce learned and had "high kicks" from Master Siu Hon Sung since 1959.

Meeting One of Bruce Lee’s Masters – Sifu Siu Hon-San, http://www.network54.com/Forum/256969/m ... +Bruce+Lee:
Siu Hon Sung in the 1970's wrote:Bruce favored Chinese Northern Kung Fu
================================
Sifu Siu went on, “After Bruce learnt Wing Chun Kune, he came to ask me to teach him some Kung Fu. I chose to teach him the second set of the basic forms of Ching Wu school – Kung Lit Kuen. I chose this because it is easier to learn since it is short. Later, he wanted to learn some more Chinese Northern Kung Fu. He came to find me again. So, I taught him some Chinese Northern Kung fu that stresses in the use of kicks. This influenced Bruce’s kicks as seen in his movies. He had made some changes to make it more appealing. Moreover, Chinese Northern Kung Fu has larger movements. It is much more fanciful on-screen. In short, Bruce’s Kung Fu was based on Wing Chun Kune first and then followed by the influence of my Northern boxing.

“Later, I taught him a set of Jumping step-boxing. This kind of boxing is a basic boxing form of Northern Mantis Kung Fu. Its characteristics are jumps, tumblings, swift movements and the circular horizontal kick. Bruce was very smart. He learnt it in six or seven lectures. So, I taught him a set of Git Kune (aka Jit/ Jeet Kune), the fourth set of the basic boxing forms of Ching Wu School. Bruce had special interest in this boxing form. He liked it and spent plenty of time studying and analysing this boxing form.”

. . . In 1965, when he came back to HK accompanied by his wife, he often came to visit me and we had chats. He had also remembered the boxing forms that I had taught him and gave us a demonstration. He not only made no mistake in his performance, but he was very acquanited with it. In 1967 (note: should be 1970), he returned again. Because he had to perform on TVB, he practised in my institute and his opponent was Unicorn.”

In a 1964 screen test for The Green Hornet, Bruce performed high kicks; starting at 1:39.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8wL3AA4BP0&t=1m39s

At the Long Beach International 1964, Bruce performed high kicks; starting at 4:44 and 7:28.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbGJaa0I05A&t=4m44s

Bruce Lee’s Jing Mo’s Kung Fu: http://postimg.org/image/fzaibrbm7/
Last edited by marvin8 on Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:57 pm

Sui Hong sung came to Australia
The reporter asked him how many men he could beat in a fight
His answer 50
The reporter said 50?
Yes was the answer if they are 5 years old if it was muhamad Ali it might be a different matter
Best answer ever
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trick on Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:00 am

C.J.W. wrote:Bruce was a gifted martial artist in terms natural talents like speed, explosive power, and reflexes. I remember reading somewhere that top Karate/kickboxing competitors of the 60s and 70s like Joe Lewis, Bill Wallace, and Chuck Norris were all in awe of his physical prowess.

Joe Lewis, Bill Wallace, and Chuck Norris tested themselves in competitions(where opponents also try to win). Is there any records of Bruce lee doing the same kind of "pressure testing", or did he just demo spar agains some of his students? Maybe above three guys had had their ass kicked behind the scene by BL and that's why they where in awe. I do like the CN/BL colosseum fight, one of my favorite MA movie fights 8-)
Trick

Postby windwalker on Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:48 am

Trick wrote:Joe Lewis, Bill Wallace, and Chuck Norris tested themselves in competitions(where opponents also try to win). Is there any records of Bruce lee doing the same kind of "pressure testing", or did he just demo spar agains some of his students? Maybe above three guys had had their ass kicked behind the scene by BL and that's why they where in awe. I do like the CN/BL colosseum fight, one of my favorite MA movie fights 8-)

"Bruce shifted his weight with a bounce, poised to advance, “Are you ready?”

“Ready when you are Bruce.”

Ralph Castro steadied himself for Bruce’s strike, while James Lee and Ed Parker looked on, half amused and half curious. The four of them stood inside Castro’s martial arts school on Valencia Street in San Francisco’s Mission District, and much like the late night think-tank sessions at Wally Jay’s home on Eagle Avenue, they were deep into discussing and demonstrating a wide range of martial arts matters. At the moment Bruce was ready to show off the speed of his lead-hand backfist,... It was said that in that encounter Mr Castro, was able to block it.

Great Grandmaster Ralph Castro began his martial arts training in 1955 in Hawaii with the legendary William K. S. Chow. In 1958, he began teaching in San Francisco. He later established the first kenpo karate school in Northern California. Since that time Great Grandmaster Castro has taught traditional Shaolin Kenpo to thousands of students, ranging in age from 5 to 77 and from all walks of life. He has produced many top black belts who have become proficient in the art of Shaolin Kenpo. Many students have gone on to teach, producing their own black belts.

Great Grandmaster Castro is proud of all of his students, including his seven children who have each earned high ranking black belts.

In 1981, Great Grandmaster Ralph Castro founded the International Shaolin Kenpo Association (ISKA), having affiliated members and schools worldwide. He is the current president of ISKA.

He is an active member of the American Teachers Association for the Martial Arts (ATAMA), and currently serves on the Board of Directors.

Those of the time knew of and may have known BL personally
while he may not have competed he did knock on doors as they say.. For those feeling in looking at his skill is not much. I would suggest really looking again
BL had very clean refined movements, he was known for his speed and power from such a small frame....For me his true accomplishment was overcoming his self as an artist, person and man.

There's just to much history about him to doubt that he had skills and was recognized for them.
Bruce Lee, James Lee, Ed Parker, Ralp Castro

Defying the masters
1963-1964
Chief among Lee’s forward-thinking colleagues was James Yimm Lee,

http://blackbeltmag.com/daily/tradition ... a-success/
the tough-as-nails Oakland native with whom Lee would strike up a deep and brotherly relationship. “Bruce is smart,” says James Lee’s son Greglon. “When he’s in his 20s he’s hanging out with guys in their 40s, so he can gain their experience.” A well-known local fighter and trailblazer, James Lee was among the first to publish how-to books on martial arts, and he made a point of putting his Caucasian student Al Novaka muscled 300-pound beast of a fighter—on the cover. He also changed the traditional spelling gung fu to kung fu in order to make it more pronounceable for non-Chinese."

James lee

In addition to his expert kung fu skills, James Yimm Lee was also an accomplished weightlifter and helped get Bruce Lee started in a weight-training program, which subsequently resulted in his sculptured physique. James Yimm Lee worked as a welder in the local shipyards, and he used this skill in designing and constructing many unique training devices he and Bruce Lee used in their workouts.

"Unlike some Iron Palm masters whose palms look like big puffy bun due to striking of hard objects over a long period of time, Bruce’s hand which had undergone similar trainings remained indifferent from ordinary people. The same goes to James Y. Lee. Besides proper conditioning, the use of appropriate internal force in striking is also crucial. If Bruce was able to break hard objects like bricks, cobblestone and thick boards etc. it was no doubt that he had mastered the Iron Palm Kung Fu.

The reason why Bruce’s hands were different from other Iron Palm Masters might be due to the fact that Bruce had mastered skill that resembled the higher level Iron Palm Kung Fu, i.e. Cinnabar Palm, which requires the use of internal force (“kin”) and not external force (“lik”). Yet, the mastering of Cinnabar Palm usually takes a longer time than Iron Palm, normally 5-15 years. Thus, there were no clear evidences that show Bruce had mastered this skill. Another possibility was Bruce might have integrated the essence of various Palm techniques into his own palm’s training program plus the herbal liniment conditioning, which he eventually attained the desired result. "

One can not doubt his skill...and the skill of others of the time...

met AL Novak back in the day,,,this guy had forams that were not to be believed.
Ha, kinda reminds me of "willie" here...I think they would have enjoyed each other.

https://www.usadojo.com/al-novak/

Last edited by windwalker on Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:37 am

"On the wall adjacent to the garage door was an adjustable hanging bag, and custom, handmade training devices were positioned about the area — a hydraulic kicking machine, a one-armed training dummy, and much more. On the back wall was a traditional wing chun mook jong (wooden dummy). All the equipment appeared to be well-worn from extensive use. James Yimm Lee demonstrated how some of the equipment worked, and Gary Dill took that as a sign that James Yimm Lee was considering accepting him as a student."
http://blackbeltmag.com/daily/tradition ... a-success/
windwalker
Wuji

Postby willie on Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:12 am

marvin8 wrote:

Do you have a video or link of Chuck making this statement? Otherwise, you may be slandering Chuck Norris and Bruce Lee.

actually, I don't really want to waste my time responding to you. I may be slandering? get over yourself...
Yes there is a video on youtube with chuck saying exactly what I said that he said and more. And NO I'm not going to waste my time trying to find it just
for your amusement. Do you think that work for you? i've been reading most of your posts and have found that your arguments with other members are usually wrong.
but you tend to continue anyways.
I'm not interested in YOU
Last edited by willie on Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby marvin8 on Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:19 am

willie wrote:
marvin8 wrote:

actually, I don't really want to waste my time responding to you. I may be slandering? get over yourself...

Yes. You may be making a false statement (knowingly or not) by claiming Chuck Norris said something he did not. Giving your opinion is perfectly fine.

willie wrote:Yes there is a video on youtube with chuck saying exactly what I said that he said and more. And NO I'm not going to waste my time trying to find it just
for your amusement. Do you think that work for you?

In the videos I have seen, Chuck has always been respectful to Bruce Lee (as in the link I provided) having trained with him for 3 years. If you have a link to Chuck great; that would be interesting. I am only asking not arguing. I gave a link to Chuck discussing his experience with Bruce Lee. I thought you might have one too. You seem take offense when there is none. And, argue when there is no argument.

willie wrote:i've been reading most of your posts and have found that your arguments with other members are usually wrong.

You can link an example. Because, I am unaware of me "arguing." I discuss and take the time to link to supporting sources most if not all the time. You seem to argue rather than discuss when someone has something different to say.
Last edited by marvin8 on Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby willie on Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:30 am

marvin8 wrote:
willie wrote:
marvin8 wrote:

Yes. You may be making a false statement (knowingly or not) by claiming Chuck Norris said something he did not. Giving your opinion is perfectly fine.

willie wrote:Yes there is a video on youtube with chuck saying exactly what I said that he said and more. And NO I'm not going to waste my time trying to find it just
for your amusement. Do you think that work for you?

In the videos I have seen, Chuck has always been respectful to Bruce Lee (as in the link I provided) having trained with him for 3 years. If you have a link to Chuck great; that would be interesting. I am only asking not arguing. I gave a link to Chuck discussing his experience wit Bruce Lee. I thought you might do the same. You seem take offense when there is none. And, arguing where there is no argument on my part.

willie wrote:i've been reading most of your posts and have found that your arguments with other members are usually wrong.

You can link an example. Because, I am unaware of me "arguing." I discuss and take the time to link to supporting sources most if not all the time. You seem to argue rather than discuss when someone has something different to say.

There is a video.
your not aware of your incorrect statements while arguing with other members?
If I remember right, you got into an argument with DGlen, CW,Cloudz,windwalker,and Myself and in every single case you have been not only wrong, but out
of line as well. There was actually many, many times that you were so out of line that I actually felt sorry for them and wanted to jump in and tell you
just how wrong you were, But decided to stay out of it. I even recall one member "Correctly" repeatedly pleading with you to go and find out for yourself before you
continue on with your arguments and still you continued on.
so now we finally come to the point, Where is your damn video?
willie

Postby marvin8 on Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:50 am

willie wrote:There is a video.
your not aware of your incorrect statements while arguing with other members?
If I remember right, you got into an argument with DGlen, CW,Cloudz,windwalker,and Myself and in every single case you have been not only wrong, but out
of line as well. There was actually many, many times that you were so out of line that I actually felt sorry for them and wanted to jump in and tell you
just how wrong you were, But decided to stay out of it. I even recall one member "Correctly" repeatedly pleading with you to go and find out for yourself before you
continue on with your arguments and still you continued on.
so now we finally come to the point, Where is your damn video?

Let's just talk about the topic. If there is a video, you can post it. That would add to the discussion. If you don't want to that's fine.

People may have different opinions and discuss them furthering a topic. Again, you can post a link where I was arguing, not discussing or giving an opinion. As, I don't believe there is one.
Otherwise, let's stick to a posted topic.
Last edited by marvin8 on Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Overlord on Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:34 am

In the book Bruce Lee’s fighting method, it is said the gauge of side kick is by kicking a piece of falling timber board and break it it in mid air, I am pretty sure that Bruce Lee was able to deliver that.

I wonder all the kunpu talkers with criticism, how many of you can deliver such power~
Show me like how Bruce Lee deliver in the video without preparation, other wise please show this guy the respect he deserves.

BTW, for what is worth, the timber should be able to withstand your body weight (at least) at resting state. Size is up to you.
I know I can’t.
Last edited by Overlord on Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Overlord

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:24 pm

I respect Bruce for a lot of things
Where is the falling board demo and where is the proof the board here would take body weight
How would it take bodyweight
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Overlord on Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:42 pm

wayne hansen wrote:I respect Bruce for a lot of things
Where is the falling board demo and where is the proof the board here would take body weight
How would it take bodyweight

By that I mean if the board is a small bridge you can stand on the board without breaking it.
This means you use to thick books supporting the timber and stand in it.

Then proceed to side kick the falling board and snap it.
That is a method to gauge the sidekick.
Overlord

Postby marvin8 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:18 pm

Overlord wrote:In the book Bruce Lee’s fighting method, it is said the gauge of side kick is by kicking a piece of falling timber board and break it it in mid air, I am pretty sure that Bruce Lee was able to deliver that.

I wonder all the kunpu talkers with criticism, how many of you can deliver such power~
Show me like how Bruce Lee deliver in the video without preparation, other wise please show this guy the respect he deserves.

BTW, for what is worth, the timber should be able to withstand your body weight (at least) at resting state. Size is up to you.
I know I can’t.

@ 4:05, Bruce sidekicks 5 dangling boards.

Best MMA
Published on Jul 18, 2016

If you’ve seen Bruce Lee’s one-inch punch and side kick in action, you probably can’t believe how such a small man like him could generate so much power from such a short distance, right?

After you see him demonstrating his most famous punch and kick on a Hong Kong TV show in 1969, you probably will be even more impressed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvVNkTT7-fM&t=4m5s

@ 4:06, photo of the 5 dangling boards and Bruce.

JesúsBajo St
Published on Nov 6, 2007

Bruce Lee photos on TV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjKZl7eRc9M&t=4m6s

Trick wrote:Joe Lewis, Bill Wallace, and Chuck Norris tested themselves in competitions(where opponents also try to win). Is there any records of Bruce lee doing the same kind of "pressure testing", or did he just demo spar agains some of his students? Maybe above three guys had had their ass kicked behind the scene by BL and that's why they where in awe. I do like the CN/BL colosseum fight, one of my favorite MA movie fights 8-)

Excerpt from Larry Lee Gam-Kwan: Sparring With Bruce Lee, http://www.network54.com/Forum/256969/m ... +Bruce+Lee from ing+With+Bruce+Lee:
Master Larry Lee Gam-Kwan on Jun 1, 2015 wrote:

. . . It had been 45 years since then but the sparring still left a deep impression in my memory. Every punch of Bruce still came into view. Before the spar, I was full of confidence. This was because in 1968, I started a school in Tsuen Wan (Ho Pui Street), opposite August Moon Theatre, a place filled with street gangsters, triad societies members, law-breakers etc. Often, I was faced with uninvited guests who came to my school and challenged me - all kinds of strange, special and unexpected challenges. When I learnt martial arts in Japan, kata practice and unarmed combat were daily compulsory routines, thus, I learnt to feel at ease and having no fear in the face of challenges. However, I found most of the challengers usually were middle-aged men. As the saying goes, “Fear The Fist of The Young,” so, they should be afraid of my young fist instead.

That day, standing before me, was Bruce Lee who was then anonymous in HK. Therefore, I failed to recognize he was the real deal. We showed our politeness first before engaging in the ferocious battle. Karate usually starts with half forward leaning stance with both hands protecting the body. Bruce stood at an incline stance and clenching his fist but he looked entirely calm and at ease. After moving around for a while, I saw an opportunity and immediately threw out a fore-fist (seiken), followed by an inverse blow, coordinated with progressive chain attacks. Bruce did not counter-attack. Instead he dodged and protected the center parts of his body. He retreated and left my attacks in vein. I tried to calm down my nerves and changed my tactics, using feinting as an attack first and thrust forward with a straight punch (But Bruce seemed to see through my strategy).

He did not block, instead, he attacked to neutralise my attack at a full speed. He then fired continuous blows with his left and right hook punches at me. Just in the split of seconds, I could sense his heavy and speedy punches (accomplished at one stroke or move) landing on me. The joints on my left and right shoulders were hit continuously (I faintly heard Uncle Min shouted “stop” but was ignored). After calming down and hanging on to the fight, I felt my arm joints were aching and limping though my determination was still very strong and I was attempting to fight to the end.

I tried to attack again but this time round, my speed had decreased tremendously. Everything I tried proved futile. Bruce was still in his best composure. He carefully and steadily dodged and dispelled my attacks. Moreover, he did not counter-attack, thus, gave me a bit of time to catch my breath. After regaining my composure, Bruce started to attack at great speed, then, stopped instantly. I believed he had broken my defense through straight punch followed by hook punch……from the moment of apperception till response, I was unable to dispel his attacks through blockings. It was too late as I noticed his powerful punches had penetrated through my blocks and hit my left and right shoulder joints again. This time, my upper limbs seemed liked “totally dismantled,” I was unable to continue fighting anymore, so, I raised my hand to pause the fight. It seemed like a lengthy 2 minutes, 3 rounds sparring. Bruce was the final winner whose skills were far superior than mine.
I was proud for my courage and determination. Although being defeated, I was completely convinced and had a heartfelt admiration towards Bruce. We shook hands and talked delightfully to each other. The tension dissolved. Everyone present felt relief then.

Just before Bruce went to the TV stations, he once again demonstrated his kicking prowess at OGKK. I was able to see and appreciate the supreme level of the Master’s kicks at such a close distance. It was really amazing because his incomparable kicking was as flexible and agile as his punching. . . .

Unicorn Chan accompanied Bruce for his practices every time. Usually, Bruce would get Unicorn and me to hold the shield. As we already have many experiences in such attempts before, hence, we knew how to coordinate in that demo. Bruce’s kicking application was very diversified. He liked to use a combination of various kicking techniques and his speed was extremely fast, and his strength was totally focused. I only heard an earsplitting explosion. Many a time, Unicorn would be thrown several feet away by the powerful kicking force. Bruce’s kicking prowess could be described as such: “Silent like water” (before striking), “Fast like wind” (striking in process), “Powerful like arrow” (kick, thrust), “Soft like whip” (back and sweep). . . .

Excerpt from Bruce Lee Fight History, http://www.network54.com/Forum/256969/m ... 1448978053:
NDoraku December 1 2015 wrote:Fight History by Date

1958:
In the tournament consisted of twelve schools the three time champion British boxer Gary Elms was defeated by Lee by way of knockout in the third round in the 1958 Hong Kong Inter-School amateur Boxing Championships by using Wing Chun traps and high/low-level straight punches. Hawkings Cheung, his fellow Wing Chun street fighter, witnessed the event.[1][2][3]
←Before facing Elms in the finals, Lee defeated Yuen Shen, Lo Lieh, and Huang Yang, all by way of knock out in the first round[4].
Lee knocked-out Chung Pu, a Choy Li Fut fighter, in the roof tops of Hong Kong in a 1958 Full-Contact match. The match was refereed by Wong Shun Leung.[5][6][7]

1959:
During Lee's initial training as a youth, he was as a member of the "Tigers of Junction Street," and was involved in numerous gang-related street fights. "In one of his last encounters, while removing his jacket the fellow he was squaring off against sucker punched him and blackened his eye. Bruce flew into a rage and went after him, knocked the fellow out, broke his tooth, broke his arm. The police were involved."[8] The incident took place on a Hong Kong rooftop at 10 P.M. on Wednesday, April 29, 1959.[9]

1960:
In Seattle, Lee back-fisted and broke a man's nose after Lee saw him harassing a Chinese girl. Lee was taking a walk. This fight was witnessed by James DeMile in 1960. [10]

1962:
Lee knocked out Uechi,a Japanese black belt, in 11 seconds in a 1962 Full-Contact match in Seattle[11]. It was refereed by Jesse Glover[12]. The incident took place in Seattle at a YMCA handball court.[13] Taki Kamura says the battle lasted 10 seconds in contrary to Harts statement.[14]
Ed Hart states "The karate man arrived in his gi (uniform), complete with black belt, while Bruce showed up in his street clothes and simply took off his shoes. The fight lasted exactly 11 seconds--I know because I was the time keeper—and Bruce had hit the guy something like 15 times and kicked him once. I thought he'd killed him."[15]
The fight ended by Bruce knocking Uechi the length of the gymnasium[16]

1964:
In Oakland California in 1964 at China Town the Chinese community issued an ultimatum to Bruce's dojo to stop teaching non-Chinese[17]. Refusing to be told what to do or to discriminate who is allowed to learn Lee had been challenged to a combat match with their top fighter Wong Jack Man [18]. The formidable Wong Jack Man had mastery of Xingyiquan, Northern Shaolin, and Tai Chi Chuan while being a direct student of Grand Master Ma Kin Fung[19]. The arrangement was that if Bruce lost he would have to shut down his school, if he won then Bruce would be free to teach Caucasians or anyone else[20]. Wong stated that he requested to fight Lee after Lee issued an open challenge during one of Lee's demonstrations at a Chinatown theater[21]. However, contrary to this claimed motive is the signed formal letter manifested by Dan Chan with signatures by the martial art community, including Chan and Wong, as a petitioned document by the community does not correspond to the motive of responding to an open challenge.
"That paper had all the names of the sifu from Chinatown, but they don't scare me." — Bruce Lee[22]
Wong and witness William Chen stated that the fight lasted an unusually long 20-25 minutes[23]. Individuals known to have witnessed the match included Cadwell, James Lee (Bruce Lee's associate, no relation) and William Chen, a teacher of Tai Chi Chuan. According to Bruce, Linda, and James Lee, the fight lasted 3 minutes with a decisive victory for Bruce. "The fight ensued, it was a no holds barred fight, it took three minutes. Bruce got this guy down to the ground and said 'do you give up?' and the man said he gave up." — Linda Lee Cadwell[24]
Reportedly, Wong Jack Man published his own account of the battle in the Chinese Pacific Weekly, a Chinese-language newspaper in San Francisco, which contained another challenge to Lee for a public rematch[25] Lee had no reciprocation to Wong's article nor were there any further public announcements by either, but Lee had continued to teach Caucasians.

Fights Without Date / Anecdotal / Speculative

In a bout Lee had against a Taekwon do practitioner, martial artist Steve Golden a Kenpo black belt for seven years at the time states,
"It was frightening to see how easy it was for Bruce. The Tae Kwon Do black belt mentioned that he knew Bruce had good hands, so Bruce said he would only use his feet. They went pretty hard, and the guy really tried to kick Bruce. Every time the guy kicked, Bruce got just barely out of range, and just as the guy’s foot came down, Bruce held his kick up to the guy’s face—a roundhouse kick right up to the guy’s nose or a side kick up to the guy’s temple. This guy was putting everything he had into getting Bruce, and Bruce was barely putting out any effort. If it was for real, it would have lasted until the first kick."[26]

Richard Bustillo is certified as a law enforcement defensive tactics instructor and certified with the Olympic Training Center as a coach and official with USA Boxing, and a Kru in Muay Thai.[27] Bustillo, who is professed in Judo, Boxing, Wrestling, Karate, and his native Hawaiian Kajukenbo systems, is an inductee into the ‘World Martial Arts Hall of Fame’ and had eventually became a student of Lees and describes the following incident while Lee was present at a training session at I.M.B academy, Torrance, California:[28]
“While a few of us were training, a guy asked Bruce if he actually thought he could stop his attack if he were to charge at Bruce with his knife. Well, Bruce told this guy to come at him with the blade, so the guy did. It was so fast when Bruce kicked the knife right out of the guys hand, before he could take more than two steps, that we were all left amazed by it…but, perhaps not as much as the guy who no longer held that knife.”[29]

Lee's eventual celebrity put him in the path of a number of men who sought to make a name for themselves by causing a confrontation with Lee. A challenger had invaded Lee's private home in Hong Kong by trespassing into the backyard to incite Lee in combat. Lee finished the challenger violently with a kick, infuriated over the home invasion. Describing the incident, Herb Jackson states,
"One time one fellow got over that wall, got into his yard and challenged him and he says 'how good are you?' And Bruce was poppin mad. He [Bruce] says 'he gets the idea, this guy, to come and invade my home, my own private home, invade it and challenge me.' He said he got so mad that he gave the hardest kick he ever gave anyone in his life."[30]

Bob Wall, USPK karate champion and co-star in "Enter the Dragon", recalled one encounter that transpired after a film extra kept taunting Lee. The extra yelled that Lee was "a movie star, not a martial artist," that he "wasn't much of a fighter." Lee answered his taunts by asking him to jump down from the wall he was sitting on. Wall described Lee's opponent as "a gang-banger type of guy from Hong Kong," a "damned good martial artist," and observed that he was fast, strong, and bigger than Bruce.[31]
"This kid was good. He was strong and fast, and he was really trying to punch Bruce's brains in. But Bruce just methodically took him apart.[32] Bruce kept moving so well, this kid couldn't touch him...then all of a sudden, Bruce got him and rammed his ass with the wall and swept him up, proceeding to drop him and plant his knee into his opponent's chest, locked his arm out straight, and nailed him in the face repeatedly." — Bob Wall[33]

List of documented Bruce Lee street fights with source provided

1) In 1960, Bruce Lee and the late Skip Ellsworth fought two opponents in a pool hall.
2) In 1960, Bruce Lee and Ellsworth fought two opponents in a parking lot.
3) In 1960, Bruce Lee and Ellsworth fought three opponents outside a movie theater.
Source: Skip Ellsworth's website

4) In 1962, Bruce Lee fought a Japanese challenger named Uechi at a local YMCA. The fight took place on a handball court, Sifu Jesse Glover was the referee, and the late Ed Hart was the timekeeper. Bruce straight-blasted the challenger into a wall and front kicked him in the face as he was slumping to the floor.
Source: Print and videotaped interviews with Jesse Glover and Ed Hart (both on Youtube)

5) The late Ronald Kealoha and his friend, George Santos, witnessed Bruce knock out a challenger inside a boxing ring at the Seattle National Guard Armory. According to Kealoha, the challenger ended up in the hospital.
Source: Black Belt magazine article on Kealoha

6) During a visit to Hong Kong in 1963, Doug Palmer witnessed Bruce side kick a challenger in the knee to quickly end the fight.
Source: Fighting Spirit (book)

7) Bruce Lee's much publicized 1964 fight with Wong Jack Man in Oakland.
Source: Pick a source, any source, LOL.

8) Bruce Lee toyed with a "huge truck driver" in a road rage incident which occurred in Los Angeles. Sifu Dan Inosanto was a passenger in the car that Bruce was driving.
Source: Youtube clip of Paul Vunak recounting what Dan Inosanto told him about his Sifu's street fighting exploits.

9) Bruce Lee ended a fight with one of Vic Damone's security staff with a side kick to the jaw.
Source: The Incomparable Fighter (book)

10) Bob Wall witnessed Bruce demolish an extra on the set of Enter the Dragon.
Source: Print and videotaped interviews with Bob Wall / Curse of the Dragon (Documentary 1993)

11) Chaplin Chang witnessed a separate fight between Bruce and an extra on the set of Enter the Dragon. Bruce broke the extra's ribs with a side kick.
Source: The Making of Enter the Dragon (book)

12) A challenger climbed over a wall on Bruce Lee's property in Hong Kong. Bruce told the late Herb Jackson that he was "popping mad" and that he ended the fight with a side kick to the intruder's chest.
Source: Videotaped interview with Herb Jackson.

--------------------------------------…
From Skip Ellsworth"s (one of Bruce Lee's original students) website. Can search for it on google.
MY WITNESSING REAL-LIFE CONFRONTATIONS:

When Bruce and I went into an “all black” pool hall near 23rd and Madison, there was an incident involving some black guys.

When Bruce and I drove a truck to Montana (for Canus Services, Inc) to pick up some freight, and we stopped at a “cowboy-honky-tonk-tavern-restaurant” for dinner, there was an incident involving some cowboys that were hanging out under a mercury-light in the parking lot.

When Bruce and I were leaving the Kokusai Movie Theater one night, in the “International District” in Seattle, there was an incident involving three black dudes. The list goes on…

One must remember that we were only 18 to 23 (?) years old when these types of things were happening; AND we were exploring; AND we were often in places where a white guy was not welcome; AND we were often in places where a Chinese guy might be harassed; AND Bruce generally walked in a very “cocky” way that would always attract attention; AND we were often in places where challenges are common between guys of that age; AND finally, we knew that Bruce could end any physical confrontation within three or four seconds.

To describe any of the brief fights that Bruce had back in those days would serve no meaningful purpose here. In my opinion, it should suffice to say that Bruce Lee was the best fighter that ever lived. Whoops… maybe I should say that Bruce was only “one of” the best fighters who ever lived – so I don’t offend anyone.

In 1958 the Master Lee fought in the Honk Kong boxing championships. He knocked out Gary Elmes in three rounds using some rather vicious Ving Tsun trapping maneuvers.
In 1959, now involved with the 'Tigers of Junction Street,' Bruce was going to fight in one of the infamous 'rooftop' matches Hong Kung was famous for. He was sucker punched, received a black eye, and became so angry he broke his attacker's arm.
In 1962 Bruce fought a Karate black belt named 'Uechi' in the Pacific Northwest.

Street Fights and Beimo (19 fights, 18 Wins, 1 Losses, 0 Draws)

Date / Opponent / Location / Result

1954 / Street gang member / Hong Kong, Street Fight / L (after beating Lee started Wing Chun training)

1958 / Chung Pu, Choy Li Fut stylist / Hong Kong, Beimo Match / W KO Round 2 (Referee: Wong Shun Leung)

1959 / Kung Fu stylist / Hong Kong, Beimo Match / W (got sucker punched, knocked out opponent, broke arm and toot. Source: John Little)

1960 / Unknown / Seattle, Street Fight / W (knockout with backfist. Source: Witness James DeMile)

1960 / Two opponents in a pool hall (alongside Skipp Ellsworth) / Seattle, Street Fight / W (source: Skipp Ellsworth)

1960 / Two opponents in a parking lot (alongside Skipp Ellsworth) / Seattle, Street Fight / W (source: Skipp Ellsworth)

1960 / Three opponents outside a movie theater (alsongside Skipp Ellsworth) / Seattle, Street Fight / W (source: Skipp Ellsworth)

1962 / Uechi / Seattle, Street Fight / W (KO after 11 seconds; Jesse Glover referee, Ed Hart timekeeper)

1959-1962 / Unknown / Seattle National Guard Armory Boxing ring, Street Fight / W (witness: Ronald Kealoha, George Santos)

1963 / Kung Fu Fighter / Hong Kong, Street Fight / W (sidekick to the knee. Source: Witness Doug Palmer)

1964 / Wong Jack Man / Oakland, Street Fight / W after 3 Minutes (source: Linda Lee, James Yimm Lee)

1966-1970 / Truck Driver / Los Angeles, Street Fight / W (source: Dan Inosanto, Paul Vunak)

1966-1970 / Security Guard of Vic Damone / Los Angeles, Street Fight / W (sidekick to the jaw, source: "Incomparable Fighter" Book)

1971 / Muay Thai Coach / Pak Chong, Thailand, Set of "The Big Boss" / W (source: Tony Liu, Bey Logan)

1973 / Kung Fu stylist / Hong Kong, Set of "Enter the Dragon" / W (smashed face with punches, knee to chest. Source: Bob Wall, Bolo Yeung)

1973 / Kung Fu stylist / Hong Kong, Set of "Enter the Dragon" / W (kick toot out. Source: Bey Logan, Madalena Chan)

1973 / Kung Fu stylist / Hong Kong, Set of "Enter the Dragon" / W (broke rip with chest kick. Source: Chaplin Chan)

1973 / Kung Fu stylist / Hong Kong, Set of "Enter the Dragon" / W (knocked opponent down with straight punches. Source: Fred Weintraub)

1973 / Kung Fu stylist / Hong Kong, at Lee´s home / W (sidekick to the chest. Source: Herb Jackson)
Last edited by marvin8 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marvin8
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links