Bruce Lee's One Inch Punch Demo & Explanation | Jeet Kune Do

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Bruce Lee's One Inch Punch Demo & Explanation | Jeet Kune Do

Postby Trick on Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:16 pm

Marvin8, thanks for the info, yours Google-fu is impressive
Trick

Postby Trick on Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:18 pm

About BL breaking boards, wasn't it him who coined the " boards don't hit back"?
Trick

Postby origami_itto on Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:21 pm

2017 got crumpled like a tin can in Willie's living room
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby willie on Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:40 am

oragami_itto wrote:2017 got crumpled like a tin can in Willie's living room

Instigator ;D
willie

Postby Overlord on Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:16 pm

Trick wrote:About BL breaking boards, wasn't it him who coined the " boards don't hit back"?

Yes, this says a lot of skills when one can’t break the board ~
Overlord

Postby Trick on Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:16 am

Overlord wrote:
Trick wrote:About BL breaking boards, wasn't it him who coined the " boards don't hit back"?

Ah, so he actually meant broken boards don't hit back, or am I totally out bicycling now
Trick

Postby Overlord on Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:37 am

Great one more talk full ~
Oh well....
Overlord

Postby marvin8 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:50 am

Trick wrote:
Overlord wrote:

Ah, so he actually meant broken boards don't hit back, or am I totally out bicycling now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU5jOhSIH1c

The statement may have been just for the movie, Enter the Dragon.

Wall tries to intimidate Bruce by breaking a board. Bruce is not afraid and is going to hit back in their fight. Also, one should spend more time training with sparring partners, not breaking boards.

Excerpt from Bruce Lee's Legacy on Marial Arts, http://academy.championsway.com/bruce-l ... tial-arts/
ChampionsWay wrote:Inspiration and Representation for Minorities

Before Bruce Lee, public perception of people of Asian descent was not positive in the West, especially during the Vietnam War. Asian people were perceived as weak and Hollywood’s portrayal of Asians wasn’t flattering, usually focusing on derogatory racial stereotypes. Bruce Lee’s strength and charisma was a change from this norm, finally portraying an Asian actor as a protagonist with skills and power.

Lee’s pride towards Chinese philosophy and culture was very apparent and changing misconceptions about the East was one of his motivators. One of Lee’s closest friends and one of three Jeet Kune Do instructors personally certified by Lee, Dan Inosanto, said that Lee viewed films to be more effective than books in educating the West about the East, acting as a bridge between the two cultures. Using this opportunity, he imparted wisdom and showed the strength, discipline, and power of the Eastern martial artist. Martial arts films also inspired African American communities, as these were some of the first films to feature a person of color as a protagonist. As one example, the Wu-Tang Clan – one of the most respected rap groups of all time – have cited Bruce Lee specifically as the main source of inspiration for their passion for martial arts.

Edit:
Here is a more complete description of the wing chun moves, than the 1st video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANcsBrmw9Wk
Last edited by marvin8 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:52 pm

Um, don't forget that Enter the Dragon was a movie, and the dialog was made for the character. In the movie, "Lee" is talking to the guy who killed his sister. It had nothing to do with Bruce Lee's board breaking demos, which were to show focused power.

Anyway, BL popularized Chinese martial arts when the only Asian martial arts 90% of the population knew of were Japanese. It's true that he did so as an actor, not a competitor. I don't know if Dan Inosanto did either. However, that says nothing about their abilities as martial artists. Comparing BL to Norris or Wall, who were champion competitors is silly.

Anyway, it's easy to say he is was overrated, but he's gone; so, it's wasted breath.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:15 pm

Just like Dan I would love to see what Bruce would be doing today
My criticism was not of Bruce,I was just trying to put the one inch punch in context
He was showing it to mainly karate and judo guys who had little knowledge of that type of movement.
Back in the 70's we advatised TST as Chinese karate so people had something to relate to.
I had been training for quite some time when someone mentioned Bruce
I said who's that,it was quite a bit later I saw my first Kung fu film.
They seemed to be quite good but a little unrealistic.
So even though Bruce introduced a lot of people to the art it was not all
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:36 am

Well, there were no official "gong fu" schools in NYC in 1966, but there were certainly people who were teaching. I'm sure that is the same in any city with a "Chinatown" after WW2/Korea. I know there were several people teaching on the west coast. But, this all was the result of post-war immigration. I wasn't born before the war, but I don't think many people in the States knew or had ever seen TCMA.

One of the first MA books I bought was Ed Parker's; his "kenpo" had been taught in Hawaii since the 40s. We called it "Chinese karate" for some reason, probably because it wasn't strictly Japanese --almost no one knew of William Chow. That's really my point. It's not that BL brought CMA to the US. It just so happened that he brought it to the attention of the greater public through the Green Hornet tv show and his HK movies. Btw, before the tv series, the character of Kato was never portrayed as (or by a) Chinese.

BL was dead when Enter the Dragon premiered. His theories on MAs, cross-training, Jeet Kune Do, etc., all came out because of his death and the movie. That was 1973. The term "kung fu" had been announced to the American public in late '72, and Carradine's show. The fact that the show idea was probably Lee's, but the producers didn't use a Chinese actor to introduce the Shaolin temple and Buddhism is another indication of why Lee was so influential. I.e., it's not just about his ability as a martial artist.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Overlord on Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:55 pm

Please if you can do what Bruce Lee did, then criticise all you want.
If you can’t, well I am not sure why you guys talkfu so much,
because dead man surely can’t hit back.
Overlord

Postby origami_itto on Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:17 pm

Overlord wrote: am not sure why you guys talkfu so much

Dat ego is a BEEEyotch
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Trick on Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:15 pm

Overlord wrote:Please if you can do what Bruce Lee did, then criticise all you want.
If you can’t, well I am not sure why you guys talkfu so much,
because dead man surely can’t hit back.

Relax, no one criticising BL, just asking some questions and pointing out some points maybe someone here sit on some good info such as marvin8 has posted. I myself is/was not a great fan of BL movies. I was inspired to study East Asian MA by the Shang-Chi and Ironfist comics :) and a cutting demo with a Katana, that was before I even had heard of BL.- "No one can stand against the deadly hand of Kung Fu"...POW 8-)
Trick

Postby Overlord on Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:14 am

Oh I see~ Comicfu pawpaw !
Guess you are generation CG, can’t blame you.
Overlord

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links