mandarin duck kick in taiji mantis

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

mandarin duck kick in taiji mantis

Postby chenyaolong on Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:07 am

chenyaolong
Wuji

Re: mandarin duck kick in taiji mantis

Postby C.J.W. on Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:28 am

This particular kick seems to be called Bimen Tui (閉門腿) in the Mantis systems I'm familiar with. It's usually done in combination with Beng Chuai, or crushing fist.

The Beng Chuai and Bimen Tui combo is considered a bread and butter move by most Mantis guys I've met in Taiwan.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby edededed on Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:59 am

Very nice video - I learned a bit of mantis a long time ago, it is nice to learn more about the various "bread and butter" techniques - this one I see a lot (but yeah, I thought the name was something else).
edededed
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:56 am

Thanks C.J. - I was thinking that myself. When I have heard the term 鴛鴦腿 (mandarin duck kick) it has been in reference to linked kicks, like these

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby chenyaolong on Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:42 am

sorry for the slow response

the naming is lineage specific..... seven star mantis calls this kick simply Liao Yin Jiao (lifting the Yin kick), lineages in Taiwan tend to call it Bi Men Jiao as you said. However in mainland Taiji/Meihua Mantis, Yuan Yang Jiao refers to this kick for the reasons I mentioned in the video.

On a sidenote, we also have a Bi Men Jiao although it is a different kick.

The naming of techniques in Mantis tends to be confusing, I think this is due to techniques being absorbed from other systems, and then being adapted and changed over time, with the original meaning becoming obscured. Yuan Yang Jiao seems to have been an actual system of which certain techniques and ideas went into Mantis, as it is listed in manuscripts as one of the 18 ancestors of our system.
chenyaolong
Wuji

Postby chenyaolong on Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:45 am

I also think, although correct me if Im wrong, that Yuan Yang Jiao was an old name for the system of Cuo Jiao.
chenyaolong
Wuji

Return to Video Links