Push and energy density in the hips

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Push and energy density in the hips

Postby HotSoup on Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:26 am

This video looks quite interesting in terms of unusual exercises developing certain skills:

Do you think it has any benefits over doing regular pushing hands drills, besides its originality?
HotSoup
Anjing

Re: Push and energy density in the hips

Postby charles on Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:14 am

HotSoup wrote:Do you think it has any benefits over doing regular pushing hands drills, besides its originality?

The idea of using "training aids" is a good one.

However, pushing the pelvis forward while the shoulders go back - the lower back arches pulling the shoulders backwards - probably isn't the action one wants to reinforce. It looks good when someone pushes on your abdomen, but probably wouldn't look so good if one responded the same way against a push to the chest or shoulders. Arching the lower back that way, while thrusting the pelvis forward appears to break the body into two at the lower back. A forward strike with the shin, knee, hip or abdomen can be accomplished without segmenting upper and lower parts of the body, but it is a different mechanism than what is shown in the video.
Last edited by charles on Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
charles
Wuji

Postby willie on Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:50 pm

charles wrote:
HotSoup wrote:Do you think it has any benefits over doing regular pushing hands drills, besides its originality?

The idea of using "training aids" is a good one.

However, pushing the pelvis forward while the shoulders go back - the lower back arches pulling the shoulders backwards - probably isn't the action one wants to reinforce. It looks good when someone pushes on your abdomen, but probably wouldn't look so good if one responded the same way against a push to the chest or shoulders. Arching the lower back that way, while thrusting the pelvis forward appears to break the body into two at the lower back. A forward strike with the shin, knee, hip or abdomen can be accomplished without segmenting upper and lower parts of the body, but it is a different mechanism than what is shown in the video.

I did that the exact same way years ago, when I used to do Yang style. The pelvis can create a lot of force like that, But you are correct.
The movement is broken and will not hold up against someone who is better. If he changed his posture by adding in a forward lean (dynamic) like
some of the old photo's of masters of the past, The movement would take on a whole new meaning.
willie

Postby middleway on Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:09 am

Hips forward while body goes back isnt a problem depending on the context. ;)

unusual exercises developing certain skills:

The ultimate question here is what is being developed and for what. The idea of 'entering the hips' can be seen in clinches and wrestling in close range all the time. But it looks like they are focused on developing the power for an unusual and, frankly silly, scenario.

Here is where i think this exact motion can be helpful.

Breaking out of this position with a very similar movement is legitimate.

Developing this hip penetration can be done with a variety of methods, most common would be good snatch work.

just my thoughts.
Last edited by middleway on Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby HotSoup on Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:21 am

Thanks everyone, now I have some interesting food for thought.
HotSoup
Anjing

Return to Video Links