Zhang Family Duan Da

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Zhang Family Duan Da

Postby chenyaolong on Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:22 pm

Some quite interesting stuff if you can understand Chinese. Dont know much about this style, but a lot of the stuff he talks about is very similar to Old Mantis theory and principles

chenyaolong
Huajing
 
Posts: 437
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:42 pm
Location: Shanghai, China

Re: Zhang Family Duan Da

Postby marvin8 on Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:00 am

chenyaolong wrote:Some quite interesting stuff if you can understand Chinese. Dont know much about this style, but a lot of the stuff he talks about is very similar to Old Mantis theory and principles


Yes, seems like practical strategies. I don't understand the language. If someone can translate, it would be appreciated.

Here is a previous thread discussing this master: http://www.rumsoakedfist.org/viewtopic. ... badfbb31cb
Last edited by marvin8 on Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
marvin8
Wuji
 
Posts: 828
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:30 pm

Re: Zhang Family Duan Da

Postby chenyaolong on Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:17 am

a long vid to translate.

basically the vid is called "entering", then he does on to talk about the meaning of "chang lai", which he says is the timing of entering. hands have empty and full. empty hands are hard to intercept as they change. full hands cant change. the timing of intercepting hands comes from spear. spear has a poem called "when meeting flesh (not sure the word here) the spear, stick to the pole and enter" this poem means that if the spear meets your flesh its too late, so you have to intercept it early. fists are much the same.

short interception means the position of intercepting the hands. he then explains the idea of the "three sections", tip, trunk and root: refering to the hand, elbow and shoulder (in fact we cover this idea in detail in our Shaolin 13 hammers tutorial that i posted in the main forum). its hard to intercept at the tip or trunk, so you should intercept at the root (the shoulder) to stop an attack from beginning. then he sort of repeats the spear thing again while showing you that he intercepts by entering and striking the body.

thats about the first 3 mins. i'll try to do some more later
chenyaolong
Huajing
 
Posts: 437
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:42 pm
Location: Shanghai, China

Re: Zhang Family Duan Da

Postby eshan on Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:51 am

chenyaolong,

if you like this video, this other one is worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDCol_- ... JS1pt1jMO6

The part where they are training in the street at night is brilliant, you can see soft, fast and powerful,

I believe this style is usually referred to as Mian Zhang Quian, Zhang Family Cotton fist, rather than Duan Da o Duan Quan.

A dicussion about Mian Quan here,

http://www.rumsoakedfist.org/viewtopic. ... 4d666bf988

chenyaolong wrote:Some quite interesting stuff if you can understand Chinese. Dont know much about this style, but a lot of the stuff he talks about is very similar to Old Mantis theory and principles

eshan
Santi
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:56 am

Re: Zhang Family Duan Da

Postby Finny on Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:08 pm

chenyaolong wrote:a long vid to translate.

basically the vid is called "entering", then he does on to talk about the meaning of "chang lai", which he says is the timing of entering. hands have empty and full. empty hands are hard to intercept as they change. full hands cant change. the timing of intercepting hands comes from spear. spear has a poem called "when meeting flesh (not sure the word here) the spear, stick to the pole and enter" this poem means that if the spear meets your flesh its too late, so you have to intercept it early. fists are much the same.

short interception means the position of intercepting the hands. he then explains the idea of the "three sections", tip, trunk and root: refering to the hand, elbow and shoulder (in fact we cover this idea in detail in our Shaolin 13 hammers tutorial that i posted in the main forum). its hard to intercept at the tip or trunk, so you should intercept at the root (the shoulder) to stop an attack from beginning. then he sort of repeats the spear thing again while showing you that he intercepts by entering and striking the body.

thats about the first 3 mins. i'll try to do some more later


Many thanks CYL - the translation efforts are greatly appreciated
User avatar
Finny
Great Old One
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 8:16 pm

Re: Zhang Family Duan Da

Postby marvin8 on Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:41 pm

Thanks chenyaolong for the translation.

If anyone reads Chinese, I think this article covers what is in Jiao Jian Guo (焦建国)'s book, Zhang Boxing: https://read01.com/0dDNaD.html#.WhDfLVWnH7P
Last edited by marvin8 on Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
marvin8
Wuji
 
Posts: 828
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:30 pm

Re: Zhang Family Duan Da

Postby nicklinjm on Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:45 pm

These videos from Zhen Ding Lao Ren (Jiao Jian-guo) are solid gold, the entering methods and concepts he is talking about mesh really well with my style (xingyiquan), and me and some of my kungfu brothers try and practice these concepts when practicing applications / light sparring.
nicklinjm
Huajing
 
Posts: 438
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:22 pm
Location: Hong Kong

Re: Zhang Family Duan Da

Postby chenyaolong on Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:32 am

thanks guys. i think my translation on the spear bit was lacking a bit though
chenyaolong
Huajing
 
Posts: 437
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:42 pm
Location: Shanghai, China

Re: Zhang Family Duan Da

Postby C.J.W. on Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:09 pm

The Zhang Family Duan Da here is actually Mianzhang Duan Da (綿張短打), one of the 18 styles of fighting that Wong Long supposed used to synthesize Praying Mantis Boxing. So it's no surprise that you've noticed similarities between the two.
C.J.W.
Wuji
 
Posts: 1500
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 5:02 am

Re: Zhang Family Duan Da

Postby chenyaolong on Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:54 am

C.J.W. wrote:The Zhang Family Duan Da here is actually Mianzhang Duan Da (綿張短打), one of the 18 styles of fighting that Wong Long supposed used to synthesize Praying Mantis Boxing. So it's no surprise that you've noticed similarities between the two.


yes, both Mian Zhang and Duan Da are listed.

Mantis manuscripts often talk of the relationship between Chang Quan and Duan Da, both principles are core to our style (as well as many northern styles).

Would be very interesting to go and meet this guy.... would have a lot of questions
chenyaolong
Huajing
 
Posts: 437
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:42 pm
Location: Shanghai, China


Return to Video Links

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Trick and 1 guest