New Style: XiaoYao Chen Style Tai Chi! (逍遙陳式太極)

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

New Style: XiaoYao Chen Style Tai Chi! (逍遙陳式太極)

Postby marvin8 on Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:55 am

Bio from http://shaolinlomita.com/masters/grand- ... phen-tang/:
Shaolin Lomita wrote:GRAND MASTER SHIEN PU (STEPHEN) TANG
Shien Pu (Steven) TangDr. Shien-Pu Tang (Tang Xian Pu), born in Hunan, China, is an amateur martial artist. He is a student of the Grand Master Feng Zhiqiang, the only surviving disciple of the late legendary Great Grand Master Chen Fake. Before training under Feng, Dr. Tang studied martial arts, sequentially, with nine different masters for a period of over 50 years.

He started his training at the age of nine on Shaolin Kung Fu. Over the years, his interest gradually shifted to the internal school with primary focus on Chen style, Yang style, Ba-Qua Zhang, and a number of short weapons. Currently, Dr. Tang is dedicated to the celebrated Mind-Will Hunyuan Taijiquan, a masterpiece created by Grand Master Feng.

Academically, Dr. Tang earned a Ph. D. degree from Princeton University in Aerospace Science. He lives in Palos Verdes and teaches and practices Taiji Quan in the South Bay area, suburb of Los Angeles. He also enjoys gardening and reading and is fond of the classic Yi-Ching, Lao Tze, and Zhuang Tze. He maintains a very simple life with little ego in seeking fame through martial arts activities. His other strong interest, in addition to Taiji Quan, is meditation. He performs a scientific meditation program diligently on a daily basis. In a casual manner, he calls himself “Hsiao Yao Lao Ren,” meaning a Loitering Caveman. Master Tang certified Shifu Marquez in the Consolidated Systems and is training in the Xiaoyao Systems now.

Excerpt from an article, A Brief Introduction of Taiji Master Wang Zhuanghong, by SHIEN PU (STEPHEN) TANG: http://www.worldofmastermind.com/?p=7324:
xiāo yáo shān rén wrote:“Chen-style Taichichuan with Graphic Illustration” Preface for the reprinting edition By Wang Drong-Hung Shanghai, China, March 1985

Among the numerous martial art systems in China, Taichichuan is a unique branch based on non-ordinary concepts. Over one hundred years ago, Chen Chang-Shin’s disciple, Yang Lu-Chan, made use of Taichichuan’s eight-gate and five-step kung fu in engaging other masters, which earned him “Champion Yang” in the martial art community. This has demonstrated to us that Taichichuan offers strong martial capability, not just something with sophisticated theories.

The fundamental principles of Taichichuan have been discussed in details in many writings by grandmasters, including Chen Shin, Wang Chung-Yueh, Wu Yu-Shiang, Li Yi-Hseh, and others. However, these classics have not received enough attention from most people. Furthermore, some practitioners even follow an opposite direction.

Let us consider Push Hand as an example. Push Hand should be executed on the basis of “neither separate nor against.” But today, most people do use “blunt force,” hoping to strengthen his roots. They behave like bull fight. This is against the call of Taichichuan for using softness to deal with hardness. It’s a natural principle to realize that the more I strengthen my roots, the harder he would push me.

Fundamental principles in Push Hand can be highlighted in terms of four key elements: touch up, stick to, connect with, and follow through. The first two are meant for hand maneuvers while the latter two are meant for step functions of feet. If one does not de-root, he won’t be able to step around swiftly and freely. He could not perform “connect with” and “follow through,” thereby presenting himself as a target for attack, which leads to the possibility of falling down. Therefore, in order to avoid falling down in Push Hand, one must at first de-root him. Actually, de-root means “without fixed root,” much like an object floating on water or a sphere rolling on ground. It is also analogous to a toy with light top and heavy bottom with a never falling stability.

The concept of “Taichi” is circle. But it is not a planner concept; rather, it is a spherical concept. It is envisioned as a circle viewed from all directions. This concept is referred to the so-called eight gates, which includes four normal and four oblique orientations, and is a subset of the 13 postures. Manifested in terms of specific execution, this calls for requirements in loosening the shoulders and sinking the elbows; opening the qua and expanding the knees; and contending the chest and stretching the back. One would behave like an elastic sphere. This sphere would then rotate under any external force action. Think about a sphere resting on the ground. Would it be difficult for you to get on top of it? The degree of freedom is similar to a balance measure, or to a rotating wheel. The discussion here has been introduced in the classics as “stillness leads to close; motion leads to open; standing is like a balance measure; move around is like a rotating wheel.”

But a sphere is an inorganic object while a man is an organic entity. There are major differences between the two. In addition to similar capability of the sphere, a man is able to make further adjustments of his center of gravity. With proper use of the sticking kung fu (touch up, stick to, connect with, follow through, never allow separation, and never go against anything) one would neither offer a point of contact for the approaching attacker to exert his force, nor allow the attacker to toss him away. This capability is the so-called five steps, i.e., advance, retreat, leftward, rightward, and centralization. This is the other subset of the 13 postures.

Man’s conceptual sphere could be made large or small according to his intent in opening or closing. Major joints in the human body behave like many small spheres, able to rotate, able to vary in size, and able to open or close. When they open, they become many small spheres. When they close, they combine into a large sphere.
Taichichuan’s Jin follows the characteristics of water. Therefore, the process of generating Jin should exhibit the propagation of water waves. This idea has been introduced in the classics by saying “like continuous water waves in the great river of Yangtze.” The propagation process of Jin calls for the connectivity of body joints linking palm, arm, torso, leg, and foot. Each wave segment covers a section of the body, which consists of three or more joints.

As soon as an external force is exerted upon your body, you just initiate a chain reaction of water waves, which moves around in a divergent or convergent manner. You can also add silk-reeling Jin on the waves. The overall result is much like tornado or big ocean waves. In this case, it is not possible to know how high you rise up to if you go up; or, how deep you are if you sink down. Similarly, you can always follow closely with the attacker’s pace in advancement or retreat. The essence can be called “wave carries flower,” and has been described clearly in classics.

Within the greater Taichi systems arena, Push Hand is but a form of training, a transitioning process and milestone. Eventually, it leads to Sanshou (free sparing). But, Taichichuan’s Sanshou is still different from that of other martial arts. One must first establish a solid Push-Hand foundation before he can do Sanshou. It involves both sticking and non-sticking techniques with a large degrees of freedom; sometimes sticking intent continues even though physical contact has ended in separation.

Taichichuan’s Sanshou technique calls for tossing out the opponent with using leverage and spiraling principles; together with using expansion power along with wave-like impact. Its basic nature is soft; but it generates immense power. The classics have described this property as saying, “First achieving extreme softness; then extreme hardness follows.”

Obviously, the softest substances on earth are water, wind, and air. And the most powerful strength also comes from water, wind, and the expansion power of air. This type of Sanshou, performed in a soft manner, can cause painless, amusing, and enjoyable effect. However, if performed in an aggressive manner, it can induce severe damage to inner organs. Without achieving this kung-fu level, one would still be considered a mediocre.

In terms of solo training, Taichichuan requires emptiness, stillness, and total relaxation. During a routine practice, one needs to incorporate a number of features, namely, relax the blood vessels, open the skin pores, align the bone structures, and still the mind. It is an exercise with large internal energy cultivation while with little physical power consumption. It is very suitable for enhancing health and promoting longevity. In addition, it is a good means for chronic-disease prevention and recovery. So, it is fare to say that Taichichuan is a unique exercise, serving both needs in health enhancement as well as in self-defense for martial interest.

Let us now discuss a bit more on the defense side. Taichichuan does not encourage one to initiate an attack. Rather, according to the quotation, “If you don’t move, I don’t move. Since you move first, I simply follow. If you don’t attack me, I’d never attack you. Since you initiated an attack on me, I just respond with a reactive measure based solely on the strength and speed of your attack.” A good analogy for my counter measure is the mechanism of seesaw, revolving door, or sphere. Reaction is directly proportional to action. Otherwise, I need to maintain my central equilibrium and center of gravity. However, there is an active measure imbedded within the passiveness. Whenever necessary, I could deliberately increase the reactive measure, causing a chain of waves to engulf the attacker. But this kind of activeness is originated from the basis of passiveness, qualifying it as a quasi activeness. The bottom line is passiveness.

What kind of attitude should one take in learning Taichichuan? The answer is: one should learn from enlightenment. Having learnt a routine is not the ultimate goal, regardless of the styles. One must continue to seek understanding of some deep and profound meanings and quality. Then one should try to make improvement, to raise its level, and to contribute to the advancement of the art. This is a learning method called by the ancestors as “when you have acquired Yi (intent), you can forget the external form.” Form is meant for providing assistance in understanding the theory. If you know the theory, you should create better form based on the theory. This is the basis for all things to make progress. I hope all martial artists embark on this aspiration. [Translator’s Remark: a third part of the original article has not been translated here because it covers history and lineage of the Chen style Taichichuan; information should be widely available elsewhere.]

MartialClub
Published on Aug 15, 2016

Master Stephen Tang Shien-Pu discusses his journey through the world of Taiji and the events that led to the birth of a new style: XiaoYao Chen Style Tai Chi! (逍遙陳式太極)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkytLZOD03k

MartialClub
Published on Aug 8, 2016

Andy and Dmah have spent the past half year learning a new style, XiaoYao Chen Style Tai Chi at the Shaolin Temple Kung Fu School in Lomita. Now it's time for the Tiger Team to put their new Tai Chi to the test at the 5th Lightning Tai Chi International Championship!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CONU1EJdWM

Edit:
Happy Hermit
Published on Jul 1, 2017:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gf510Q9frg

Happy Hermit
Published on Jun 15, 2017:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7-U-p169Y8

逍遙山人
Published on Mar 22, 2015:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8JTCAQJSk0

Happy Hermit
Published on Aug 6, 2016

1st Place ~ Shaolin Temple Kungfu School, Lomita, California, USA.
Group demo at Lightning Tai Chi International Championships ~ 2016 Tournament at Pasadena, California:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD4u3dWil-g0

https://namafit.com/p/912031/jonathan-savell:
Certfications:
Xiao Yao Tai Chi 37 Movement Second Routine
Grandmaster Shienpu Tang, 2016

Consolidated Tai Chi 30 Movement Routine
Grandmaster Shienpu Tang, 2004

RedHorseTaiChi
Published on Aug 9, 2017

This is a demonstration of Xiaoyao Tai Chi Er Lu (second routine) as developed by Dr. Stephen Tang. This routine has 39 postures and was taught by Grandmaster Tang in a special class. The video was taken on September 19th, 2016:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0LkTELhg0E

RedHorseTaiChi
Published on Aug 9, 2017

This is a demonstration of the Consolidated Hunyuan Tai Chi routine taught by Dr. Stephen Tang. This routine has 30 postures and contains elements of several Tai Chi styles, including Chen, Yang, and Wu. There is also a handful of Ba Gua Zhang techniques present. This performance was for a Chinese New Year celebration in 2010:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zjuVkkFTNA
Last edited by marvin8 on Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:57 am, edited 4 times in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Re: New Style: XiaoYao Chen Style Tai Chi! (逍遙陳式太極)

Postby charles on Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:20 am

Interesting. Thanks for posting it.
charles
Wuji

Postby Bao on Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:34 am

So I find no other info on the internet about this new "style".... :/
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:19 am

marvin8 wrote:Andy and Dmah have spent the past half year learning a new style, XiaoYao Chen Style Tai Chi at the Shaolin Temple Kung Fu School in Lomita. Now it's time for the Tiger Team to put their new Tai Chi to the test at the 5th Lightning Tai Chi International Championship!

Sounds as the plot summary of a Jack Ma/Jet Li movie
Trick

Postby marvin8 on Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:32 am

Bao wrote:So I find no other info on the internet about this new "style".... :/

Yes, I found it strange; not much description of the style and videos decentralized. However, I found and added additional videos from other websites and biography to the OP.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Ron Panunto on Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:08 am

Some nice elbow work in the postures; much like Feng.
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:44 pm

His Chen looks nice but the yang and pole are a little dissapointing
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Bill on Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:05 pm

Xiayao is Dr. Tangs personal development of his Tai-chi. He is the founder of this style. So he describes Xiayao Chen Tai-chi as his addition of 'water style' to his chen as an advancement of Fengs style of Chen Tai-chi.
I studied from him about 11 years ago. His Chen Tai-chi is quite solid and he is a wonderful person.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:36 pm

Bill wrote:

Xiayao is Dr. Tangs personal development of his Tai-chi. He is the founder of this style. So he describes Xiayao Chen Tai-chi as his addition of 'water style' to his chen as an advancement of Fengs style of Chen Tai-chi.
I studied from him about 11 years ago. His Chen Tai-chi is quite solid and he is a wonderful person.

Interesting, thanks for sharing.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:15 pm

Bill wrote:

you mentioned water style, would this be water style taiji?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkH9JNBM6Jg

edited:

looks like it was
http://www.worldofmastermind.com/?p=7324
Last edited by windwalker on Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:45 pm

Yes that is the creator doing Water style
I have yet to see anyone do it like him
I can't see the influence here
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:47 pm

windwalker wrote:
Bill wrote:

you mentioned water style, would this be water style taiji?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkH9JNBM6Jg

Yes. The person in your video is Wang Zhuang Hong the creator of Water Taiji. Tang wrote an article about him; of which an excerpt was included in the OP:
marvin8 wrote:Excerpt from an article, A Brief Introduction of Taiji Master Wang Zhuanghong, by SHIEN PU (STEPHEN) TANG: http://www.worldofmastermind.com/?p=7324:
xiāo yáo shān rén wrote:. . .

ImageImageImage

Water taiji Wang Zhuanghong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W_flFwUBYM
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Trick on Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:04 am

Long time ago I read about Feng Zhiqiang and his Hunyuan Taijiquan and thought why would an advanced and established practitioner/teacher want to create a new Taiji style? but I did not actually care because I didn't like ChenTaiji thought it did not look as "real" Taiji anyway. But fate anyway led me to come to study Feng's Taijiquan, now I understand that Feng's "creation" was just a masters natural process of evolvement. When I read the OP I again thought, why create a new TaijiStyle? but when I saw Feng Zhiqiang mentioned I was reminded of my previous misunderstandings, and I'm actually constantly reminded when I see my own HunyuanTaiji teacher although a close student of Feng he has his slightly own flavor Taijiquan.....Natural process
Trick

Postby HotSoup on Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:16 am

Trick wrote:Long time ago I read about Feng Zhiqiang and his Hunyuan Taijiquan and thought why would an advanced and established practitioner/teacher want to create a new Taiji style? but I did not actually care because I didn't like ChenTaiji thought it did not look as "real" Taiji anyway.

Just curious, what looked as the "real" Taiji to you at that time?
HotSoup
Anjing

Postby Trick on Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:49 am

HotSoup wrote:
Trick wrote:Long time ago I read about Feng Zhiqiang and his Hunyuan Taijiquan and thought why would an advanced and established practitioner/teacher want to create a new Taiji style? but I did not actually care because I didn't like ChenTaiji thought it did not look as "real" Taiji anyway.

Just curious, what looked as the "real" Taiji to you at that time?

Yang Taijiquan, and especially CMC's Yang Taiji variation, I actually thought that only he had gotten the true teaching from YCF 8-) .....It was a long time ago I had these thoughts.
Trick

Return to Video Links