Live Q&A with Sifu Adam Mizner

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Live Q&A with Sifu Adam Mizner

Postby charles on Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:41 pm

wayne hansen wrote:...Don't give away his online course here that's fair enough[.] At the same time don't use others to test what he says[.]

Why do you expect that others here will discuss/share what they are learning/have learned if you are not willing to do the same? Makes for rather inequitable, one-sided discussion doesn't it?
charles
Wuji

Postby charles on Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:44 pm

oragami_itto wrote:... his online course, it's outstanding stuff imho

...I advise nobody take anything I say seriously unless they can verify it themselves.

Done.
charles
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:50 pm

charles wrote:
oragami_itto wrote:... his online course, it's outstanding stuff imho

...I advise nobody take anything I say seriously unless they can verify it themselves.

Done.

Wise move
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:12 pm

charles wrote:
wayne hansen wrote:...Don't give away his online course here that's fair enough[.] At the same time don't use others to test what he says[.]

Why do you expect that others here will discuss/share what they are learning/have learned if you are not willing to do the same? Makes for rather inequitable, one-sided discussion doesn't it?

I have always been willing to share just not in a blow by blow manner when people are being a bit obtuse about what they are asking
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:02 pm

wayne hansen wrote:

I have always been willing to share just not in a blow by blow manner when people are being a bit obtuse about what they are asking

I do hope this isn't how you interpret my participation.
I understand the general culture of rsf lends one towards paranoia at times, but I hope that you can see I'm only ever trying to be earnest and honest and learn through discussing ideas and experiences. No need to suspect hidden motives, I'm not out to get anybody or try to make anybody look bad. Just a guy that loves taijiquan and loves taking about it with knowledgeable practitioners and others
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:21 pm

When posting here I don't direct my answers to anyone unless they personally reference me
I am not paranoid it is the Internet
It is what it is
If you had said that you were doing Adams course and you wondered if others put their left hand where he did I would have answered that directly
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:26 pm

wayne hansen wrote:When posting here I don't direct my answers to anyone unless they personally reference me
I am not paranoid it is the Internet
It is what it is
If you had said that you were doing Adams course and you wondered if others put their left hand where he did I would have answered that directly

That wasn't what I was asking. I was curious as to where others put theirs and if they had a good reason for doing so. It has nothing to do with anything other than being curious about how others do their form, full stop.

Adam Mizner's form was no where in my mind or intention when asking the question.

These things, oddly enough, interest me on a personal and academic level. I am interested in your personal perspective which is by nature and definition different than mine.

There is a chance that by comparing notes we each can arrive at greater understanding, is the general idea. Though I admit I'm far more of a thief than a teacher
Last edited by origami_itto on Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Trick on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:19 pm

People actually study TJQ/MA from books and videos?..... I was a "book collector" before, but most of my books focus more on the history of East Asian martial arts, but yes I was inspired by pictures of CMA in books and hoped one day to study these arts but not from books.....I would say if one would want to study for example TJQ, save up some money and go study hands on with an valid teacher. Or take the " next best"/something similar if it's available in one's area. As way back for myself there was in my area no Taiji teacher that seemed "good enough" but there was an highly skilled Aikido teacher, so I did Aikido till I found my Taiji teachers.
Trick

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:25 pm

Who were the good teachers you found
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby charles on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:46 pm

wayne hansen wrote:
charles wrote:

Sorry I wasn't clear. I was agreeing with your statement and intended my questions for origami.
charles
Wuji

Postby charles on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:54 pm

Trick wrote:People actually study TJQ/MA from books and videos?..... Or take the " next best"/something similar if it's available in one's area. As way back for myself there was in my area no Taiji teacher that seemed "good enough" but there was an highly skilled Aikido teacher, so I did Aikido till I found my Taiji teachers.

That's what I did as well. While looking for a sufficiently good Chen teacher, I studied Baguazhang with a local guy who was pretty good. During that time I also travelled to seminars with good Chen people. After two years, I found a local Chen teacher who was good and relatively new to the area.
charles
Wuji

Postby Trick on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:08 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Who were the good teachers you found

Question for me? No famous names, two(three)in Sweden and the rest in China(talking about CMA) After knowing their linage and touch hand(more or less) with them, I knew they where good enough( for me anyway)
Trick

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:21 pm

Teachers don't have to be well known to be of value
A times people want better teachers than are appropriate
The reason I asked was you mentioned EM with regard to San shou
I was just wondering if they were of that lineage
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trick on Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:46 am

wayne hansen wrote:Teachers don't have to be well known to be of value
A times people want better teachers than are appropriate
The reason I asked was you mentioned EM with regard to San shou
I was just wondering if they were of that lineage

Have a friend who teach the EM system, I got a videotape from him "starring" EM, this was back when EM articles where to be found in about every MA magazine in the world. I just got the feeling his way was not my way, so I did not jump on that wagon.
Trick

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:28 am

Once a rock star always a rock star
wayne hansen
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links