Live Q&A with Sifu Adam Mizner

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Live Q&A with Sifu Adam Mizner

Postby Ozguorui on Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:28 am

Wayne, top 10 hit I believe (before my time..) - written by Harry Vanda and the late George Young
Last edited by Ozguorui on Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ozguorui
Mingjing

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:07 am

Yes saw them do it live on a few occasions
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby willie on Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:44 am

I always liked his approach to Push Hands. But there was a video I seen where he was showing applications. The applications that he was showing in my opinion are incorrect. Some of them didn't even make any sense at all. That made me a little bit weary of his style. But like I said it seems that his Push Hands are pretty good. And I also know that he is very serious about Buddhism and that is also good.
Last edited by willie on Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
willie

Postby willie on Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:52 am

Bao wrote: how do you sink the qi?

I find it amazing that anyone would talk to new students like that. If they don't have any qi cultivation, Then there is nothing to sink.
My Yang style teacher always said "worked with qi directly", I remember asking what that really meant several times, never got a clear answer.
Things were answered in riddles, but god damn that dude was good...My friend Pete "CMC linage", used to talk of how scary he was "like a controlled
avalanche". Anyway's, Years later after training Wudang Taiji, I finally sunk qi. It took years.
The saying is, The mind leading the qi, The qi leading the movement. by working with qi directly, You are always there first, AKA "arrived first".
How that works, I don't know. In sinking qi, First you have to cultivate it and store it in dantian.
So if the mind "Yi" leading the "Qi" then all you have to do is keep your awareness down. Then the qi automatically sinks.
Example's of wrong would be. To Squat down, but thinking up, or, standing up and thinking mid-level.
Squat alone is not sinking, It's where your awareness is. You want to connect your qi to the earth qi.
Very controversial subject.
willie

Postby Interloper on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:56 pm

Hi Willie,
In my observation, "sink the qi" for beginners means something different and serves a different purpose than the same term does for practitioners with more experience.

Before a beginner can even understand the processes, you have to get them to be able to recognize, isolate and activate different parts of their body that they can easily find and understand. After they do that, you can bring them to the next level, which is the location, recognition and activation of muscles and connective tissues they may not have been able to find without having first found more "obvious" ones that are next to and touching them.

So, "sinking the qi" for a person just starting out, may be something as basic as having them first align all of their joints, including their spine, feeling the distribution of their mass equally on each side, and then relaxing and letting their center of mass drop, letting that weight drop through their alignment to the ground.

Later, as the person becomes familiar with that "passive" movement of "qi" and the sensations that go with it, they gradually are able to recognize the deeply internal muscle and tissue there, and learn how to use them to actively -draw- their mass downward.

But you have to start by helping them to find the moving parts, feel and recognize them, and passively move them, before they can willfully activate them and make them an active part of the process.
Last edited by Interloper on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby charles on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:53 pm

Well said, Interloper.
charles
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:10 pm

if you literally do and feel "sink the qi", you might feel more relaxation and heaviness or rootedness. If you try to actively do things with muscle, there isn't anything wrong with that, but it's kind of the opposite of the "song/relax" advice (unless "relax" is the thing you are doing, I suppose).
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Trick on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:19 pm

Interloper wrote:Hi Willie,
"sink the qi"

Before a beginner can even understand the processes, you have to get them to be able to recognize, isolate and activate different parts of their body that they can easily find and understand. After they do that, you can bring them to the next level, which is the location, recognition and activation of muscles and connective tissues they may not have been able to find without having first found more "obvious" ones that are next to and touching them.

Are you telling your students to sink the Qi and then go on explaining physiology, or you do not tell the students anything about sinking the Qi and just explain to them about physiology??
Trick

Postby Bao on Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:56 am

Interloper gave a great answer to why you should never try to teach beginners anything about qi. They won’t understand a heck what they are doing. But it’s a great tool if you want students who don’t understand what is important and focus on the wrong things. Because they will stay a very long time with such a teacher and never get tired to pay fees or listen to mystical nonsense about qi.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:12 am

[quote="Bao"]Interloper gave a great answer to why you should never try to teach beginners anything about qi. They won’t understand a heck what they are doingquote]
Ah ok, I found it a little confusing since Willie just kind of said that in the previous post.
Trick

Postby Bao on Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:19 am

Kind of yes. But I also liked what Interloper said.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby willie on Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:26 am

Interloper wrote:Hi Willie,
In my observation, "sink the qi" for beginners means something different and serves a different purpose than the same term does for...
A very well-thought-out post. Thank You.
willie

Postby willie on Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:32 am

Bao wrote:Kind of yes. But I also liked what Interloper said.

Hi Bao. My primary understanding qi, does not come from Chen Style, it came from my yang style teacher. The understanding came from the medical Qi Gong point of view. If you go look at Rob's new video, that is pretty much what it was like to train with my yang style teacher. The stand up part, that is. The multi-person work as well. With one major exception, we never exchanged strikes like that. They were redirected instead, and much more grappling as well
Last edited by willie on Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
willie

Postby origami_itto on Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:49 am

I will add that Adam spends a lot less time talking about sinking the Qi than you guys do.
Last edited by origami_itto on Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:29 am

probably nothing would get done and there would be no students if that's all people talked about :P :-\
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links