Internal Seminar: All must be free to move — John Kaufman

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Internal Seminar: All must be free to move — John Kaufman

Postby aiasthewall on Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:33 pm

Well yes, of course. Anything can be an ancient technique, a front kick is an ancient technique. My question was that if the technique and forms were "inextricably" linked then it would be natural to assume that one could not exist without the other. If the engine that powers the form, or which the form trains, is inextricably lined with the techniques, then my question was whether the engine could be used to power other techniques. More directly, can the Chen method of power generation (or the xing yi or bagua or whatever), be pulled apart from the traditional techniques at all? I think so, but it seemed to be suggested this was not possible.
Last edited by aiasthewall on Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aiasthewall
Anjing

Postby Trick on Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:06 pm

aiasthewall wrote:Well yes, of course. Anything can be an ancient technique, a front kick is an ancient technique. My question was that if the technique and forms were "inextricably" linked then it would be natural to assume that one could not exist without the other. If the engine that powers the form, or which the form trains, is inextricably lined with the techniques, then my question was whether the engine could be used to power other techniques. More directly, can the Chen method of power generation (or the xing yi or bagua or whatever), be pulled apart from the traditional techniques at all? I think so, but it seemed to be suggested this was not possible.

Well, just put it very simple, forms are physical and mental(education) practice in symbiosis. What differs "forms" from for example Yoga is as you know forms also have the idea about combat. If forms practiced right one will be more physicaly and mentally in balance for most kind of activities one may take on.
Trick

Postby willie on Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:38 am

Trick wrote:Well, just put it very simple, forms are physical and mental(education) practice in symbiosis. What differs "forms" from for example Yoga is as you know forms also have the idea about combat. If forms practiced right one will be more physicaly and mentally in balance for most kind of activities one may take on.
hi trick , The use of the forms is no different then the video showing the guy who got his arm broken on the other thread.
willie

Postby willie on Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:41 am

aiasthewall wrote:Well yes, of course. Anything can be an ancient technique, a front kick is an ancient technique. My question was that if the technique and forms were "inextricably" linked then it would be natural to assume that one could not exist without the other. If the engine that powers the form, or which the form trains, is inextricably lined with the techniques, then my question was whether the engine could be used to power other techniques. More directly, can the Chen method of power generation (or the xing yi or bagua or whatever), be pulled apart from the traditional techniques at all? I think so, but it seemed to be suggested this was not possible.
hi, yes the engine can be separated to incorporate techniques from different Arts including the very modern. When I said inextricably linked, I meant to the moves that were already cataloged in the library of moves that is contained within the style itself. After all it is the forms and the applications that creates what is known as a style in the first place. Doing away with the actual applications of segments of forms, make the form or at least that part of it useless. Thank you
Last edited by willie on Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
willie

Postby Activeghost on Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:37 am

The form belongs to you, not someone else. You built it, so you've already discarded and changed many things simply though omission or ignorance. Changing applications based on testing is just another change. Taijiquan is a set of principles, as long as you adhere to them it doesn't matter what shapes you use (not that the forms aren't brilliant in many cases). Forms are just tools.
Activeghost
Santi

Postby willie on Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:43 am

Activeghost wrote:The form belongs to you, not someone else. You built it, so you've already discarded and changed many things simply though omission or ignorance. Changing applications based on testing is just another change. Taijiquan is a set of principles, as long as you adhere to them it doesn't matter what shapes you use (not that the forms aren't brilliant in many cases). Forms are just tools.

Actually, no.
willie

Previous

Return to Video Links