DK Yoo Sparring

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: DK Yoo Sparring

Postby .Q. on Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:43 pm

northern_mantis wrote:
.Q. wrote:It looks like he's just messing around. Not sure what is being exposed? I only know him through random Youtube clips and he definitely has good body mechanics. I'm guessing this supposedly proves he can't apply those same mechanics in live situation? I don't know how you can judge someone's actual fighting skills unless the person is actually serious and facing someone decent? How much proper mechanic would you be using when playing with your 5 year old kid?

Even in the most playful of sparring sessions it is impossible to hide good boxing basics if you have them, he does not. Just one example, after striking he doesn't consistently retract his hands to guard. That is a good part of what puts a bit of hot sauce on the strikes as well as preventing getting himself knocked out, which it looks like my teenage daughter could do if he got in the ring with her.

Assuming even playful sparring sessions must show good boxing basics is strange. Look up clips of Prince Naseem. He does crazy stuff all the time in professional boxing matches and was successful at it. To be clear, I'm not saying that's a good thing to do. I'm just saying it's not enough evidence to conclude anything.
.Q.
Wuji

Postby Teazer on Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:00 pm

From his demo video it looks like he does JKD and systema and pretty much fakes the rest.
Why does man Kill? He kills for food.
And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Teazer
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:27 pm

Teazer wrote:From his demo video it looks like he does JKD . . .

But, DK Yoo is not showing JKD fighting skills (e.g., 5 ways of attack, timing, distance, broken rhythm, etc.) in his sparring videos, as Bruce Lee did in his 1967 sparring demonstration.
Last edited by marvin8 on Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Teazer on Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:06 pm

marvin8 wrote:
But, DK Yoo is not showing JKD fighting skills (e.g., 5 ways of attack, timing, distance, broken rhythm, etc.) in his sparring videos, as Bruce Lee did in his 1967 sparring demonstration.

and yet, of all the stuff he thinks he can do, the one that comes out in those sparring videos is JKD, combined with having a longer reach
Why does man Kill? He kills for food.
And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Teazer
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Video Links