Internal (aiki) skills in Northern Shaolin arts

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Internal (aiki) skills in Northern Shaolin arts

Postby C.J.W. on Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:29 pm

A Canadian student at a Northern Shaolin school in Taiwan explaining and demoing what they refer to as "qi" practice in their system. Don't care much for his explanations, but the internal skills and body mechanics the Taiwanese teacher displays towards the ends of these clips should look quite familiar to those who practice JIMA, namely aiki age and sage. ;)

IMO, this is good evidence that many TCMA styles, even those commonly regarded as external, contain internal elements and can be "internalized"to varying degrees depending on the path each practitioner choose to follow. Secondly, it also shows that, at higher levels, all IMAs can be quite a lot in common.

C.J.W.
Wuji

Re: Internal (aiki) skills in Northern Shaolin arts

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:54 pm

Due to its method of body displacement I have always thought aikido was closer to external systems like white crane than to the three internal arts
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby asiawide on Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:57 pm

The beard guy is giving himself toward the white shirt guy. Also he's very rigid too. Smashing(more like clashing) the mass of white guy to the brick easily cause tipping over the brick. It can be one of way to do aiki-age/sage but it's just like hunting a lion at lion farm. aiki-age/sage should be more like a method to convert a living human into a brick(or a dangling puppet). then -age/-sage happens easily.

Btw, the asian guy's posture looks very good unlike the western guys. well aligned body.
asiawide
Mingjing

Postby windwalker on Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:59 pm

I look at all CMA as being internal coming from the Chinese culture how can they not be.
The real question for some might be the expressions of it.

What are called external use the internal to directly enhance their practice.
What are called internal use their practice to directly in enhance the internal.

"The reason why Bruce’s hands were different from other Iron Palm Masters might be due to the fact that Bruce had mastered skill that resembled the higher level Iron Palm Kung Fu, i.e. Cinnabar Palm, which requires the use of internal force (“kin”) and not external force (“lik”). Yet, the mastering of Cinnabar Palm usually takes a longer time than Iron Palm, normally 5-15 years."

"The force of qi, an integral feature of the burning hand, is one of those things you need to experience in order to really get the idea. You can watch a gongfu master send a student sailing through the air, but there is a part of you that figures it’s either a trick, or there is an explanation that isn’t going to boil down some mysterious, unexplained force. And yet "mike staples" https://journeytoemptiness.com/2017/06/09/burning-palm/

I feel sometimes people mistake demos for how things are used for those watching, or worse feel that the demo is how it will be used for those doing.
both are mistakes
Last edited by windwalker on Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:01 pm

asiawide wrote:The beard guy is giving himself toward the white shirt guy. Also he's very rigid too. Smashing(more like clashing) the mass of white guy to the brick easily cause tipping over the brick. It can be one of way to do aiki-age/sage but it's just like hunting a lion at lion farm. aiki-age/sage should be more like a method to convert a living human into a brick(or a dangling puppet). then -age/-sage happens easily.

Btw, the asian guy's posture looks very good unlike the western guys. well aligned body.

At 7:55 of 1st video, black shirt takes beard guy down from behind.

In the following video at about 3:58 to 10:27, Steve also takes opponent down from behind with a different explanation. What are your thoughts on Steve's method/explanation?

At 7:40:
Steve Smith wrote:Right now I’m tight and you’re tight. So if you stay tight, I’m going to stay tight. Now, we’re both tight. We’re in total agreement. Now, you relax. Now, I relax. So, we have rapport. So, you’re matching. I’m tight, you are tight, now relax. If you stay tight, I am going to stay tight. So boom, then breathe out/relax. I attack then you breathe out/relax. You’re hijacking my brain. You don’t care about you’re breathing out. You want to hijack me. You’re breathing out/relax softens my body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I76jeb3vIDg
Last edited by marvin8 on Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby asiawide on Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:18 pm

marvin8 wrote:At 7:55 of 1st video, black shirt takes beard guy down from behind.

In the following video at about 3:58 to 10:27, Steve also takes opponent down from behind with a different explanation. What are your thoughts on Steve's method/explanation?

First one is... tilt(by pull) and down. second one is hook(by arm) and pull by body.

It's very common to see such tilt and up/down. Tilting causes uke loses balance but mostly he doesn't know about it. So it works like magic. For hook, you can see the guy sit on kua and it stacks the upper body weight on lower body. So the guy becomes solid and heavier. Then he moves his weight by turning his body. Then the hook pull the uke. little bit down makes the uke fall. 2nd strategy looks better but difficult to apply -age/-sage movement directly while kneeling in seiza.

Jaemin
asiawide
Mingjing

Postby BruceP on Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:38 am

windwalker wrote:I look at all CMA as being internal coming from the Chinese culture how can they not be.
The real question for some might be the expressions of it.

What are called external use the internal to directly enhance their practice.
What are called internal use their practice to directly in enhance the internal

Solid

A glimpse is all most will ever see. The few who track it and pursue it by sight get pretty deep into it. The rest of us just find it where we can, and laugh from sheer enjoyment - like finding a treasure that fades from one's focus as soon as they fix a stare.

Peripheral is the best most can hope for.
BruceP
Great Old One

Return to Video Links