Chen TaiJi and BJJ Mashup.

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Chen TaiJi and BJJ Mashup.

Postby jaime_g on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:52 am

jaime_g
Wuji

Postby willie on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:49 am

When I was doing MMA, very high ranking Black belts from other schools/styles would
come over to our school to either test us or start to learn. Even with 6/12 months training in BJJ those guys were locked up in seconds.
So I for one have to give Moling his prop's. He did a great job defending and even capitalizing in a situation that he had no experience in.
Great job.
willie

Postby Subitai on Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:43 am

Ian C. Kuzushi wrote:"So the first thing I do is I give him an armbar."

Yeah, why does it make sense to do this well-intentioned exchange with a "rusty" white belt? That is not a reasonable way to see how things stack up.

Here is another exchange. Note that Marcelo is playing the Chen guy's game and not doing ground work.

Yes this video has been around for awhile and not trying to take away from Marcelo's skill in grappling but I wanted to speak about the "Enlarged Text above"...

There are at least 3 times in the video in which Marcelo resorts to Lowering his level by dropping to his knees. At around 1:10 sec, 1:45 sec and 4:23 sec I would argue that Marcelo lowering his level to his knees touching and shooting in that way is NOT playing the CHEN guys game. Take those three away and depending on the rules he didn't win by much.

Obviously as an overall grappler Marcelo is in a higher class but his formats are WIDE open in comparison to people who are more limited.
Subitai
Huajing

Postby Subitai on Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:58 am

jaime_g wrote:https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10204432211481951&id=1731249180&_rdr

I was expecting something like this

As far as this FB video...I don't know what the backgrounds are of these 2 martial artists are but from just a casual one time view of it:

1) 1st lesson he spoke about structure and lowering the elbow is "Tai Chi 101" for any good school (it was in mine) That is a mantra...."relax the shoulder and sink the elbow" In fact more CMA that I know of preach this.

- I think it's great if other styles are doing the same thing...go for it.

2) 2nd drill he did: In taiji skills he's talking about where the point of contact is (the stick point) but also where the (point of power is). These are basic skills in taiji.

- For example, The point of contact is not always the point of power; I might be touching you on the wrist but I attack with my shoulder.
- Again, if other people do this too then great....I just hope that most on here(Ie RSF) would not be impressed by such basic skills, they are common.
Subitai
Huajing

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:11 pm

Subitai wrote:
Ian C. Kuzushi wrote:"So the first thing I do is I give him an armbar."

Yeah, why does it make sense to do this well-intentioned exchange with a "rusty" white belt? That is not a reasonable way to see how things stack up.

Here is another exchange. Note that Marcelo is playing the Chen guy's game and not doing ground work.

Yes this video has been around for awhile and not trying to take away from Marcelo's skill in grappling but I wanted to speak about the "Enlarged Text above"...

There are at least 3 times in the video in which Marcelo resorts to Lowering his level by dropping to his knees. At around 1:10 sec, 1:45 sec and 4:23 sec I would argue that Marcelo lowering his level to his knees touching and shooting in that way is NOT playing the CHEN guys game. Take those three away and depending on the rules he didn't win by much.

Obviously as an overall grappler Marcelo is in a higher class but his formats are WIDE open in comparison to people who are more limited.

Your point is well taken. I agree.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Video Links