Chen TaiJi and BJJ Mashup.

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Chen TaiJi and BJJ Mashup.

Postby aamc on Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:41 pm



It must be application monday?
aamc
Huajing
 
Posts: 418
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: Chen TaiJi and BJJ Mashup.

Postby Dmitri on Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:41 pm

Decades of taiji training vs probably less than a year of BJJ training, AND it's his student... :-X
How about going to a BJJ gym and trying it on a stranger with even 3-4 years of training...
Last edited by Dmitri on Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Dmitri
Great Old One
 
Posts: 9458
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:04 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA (USA)

Re: Chen TaiJi and BJJ Mashup.

Postby Bao on Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:02 am

Dmitri wrote:Decades of taiji training...


Just a general thought without addressing the quality of the performance or the clip... One could think that after decades of any kind of MA training the practitioner would eventually get past the this “technique vs technique” thinking; the “if he does that, I do this” kind of mentality... This is what I have believed anyway. But I think I might have been wrong that this should be the natural progress... :-\
Last edited by Bao on Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bao
Great Old One
 
Posts: 6234
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 12:46 pm
Location: High up north

Re: Chen TaiJi and BJJ Mashup.

Postby GrahamB on Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:44 am

So bad it’s like a parody. He literally doesn’t know what he doesn’t know.
Stable Genius.
Winky Faces Make Your Texts Sarcastic, Scientists Say
User avatar
GrahamB
Great Old One
 
Posts: 11192
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 3:30 pm

Re: Chen TaiJi and BJJ Mashup.

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:00 am

"So the first thing I do is I give him an armbar."

Yeah, why does it make sense to do this well-intentioned exchange with a "rusty" white belt? That is not a reasonable way to see how things stack up.

Here is another exchange. Note that Marcelo is playing the Chen guy's game and not doing ground work.

文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
User avatar
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One
 
Posts: 1821
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 10:02 pm

Re: Chen TaiJi and BJJ Mashup.

Postby GrahamB on Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:06 am

Ian C. Kuzushi wrote:"So the first thing I do is I give him an armbar."

Yeah, why does it make sense to do this well-intentioned exchange with a "rusty" white belt? That is not a reasonable way to see how things stack up.

Here is another exchange. Note that Marcelo is playing the Chen guy's game and not doing ground work.



Just a factual point Ian - the guys name is Chen, not his style - I think he is a push hands champion - a Cheng manching stylist from Malaysia.
Stable Genius.
Winky Faces Make Your Texts Sarcastic, Scientists Say
User avatar
GrahamB
Great Old One
 
Posts: 11192
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 3:30 pm

Re: Chen TaiJi and BJJ Mashup.

Postby yeniseri on Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:27 am

Far from being a shuaijiao expert, my experience (short term with Chang Dungsheng), study shuaijiao and your taijiquan applications will increase 10 fold! No secret, just hard work and determination.
You will be able to wrestle dragon, tigers and elephants ;D
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji
 
Posts: 3122
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:49 pm
Location: USA

Re: Chen TaiJi and BJJ Mashup.

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:39 am

GrahamB wrote:
Ian C. Kuzushi wrote:"So the first thing I do is I give him an armbar."

Yeah, why does it make sense to do this well-intentioned exchange with a "rusty" white belt? That is not a reasonable way to see how things stack up.

Here is another exchange. Note that Marcelo is playing the Chen guy's game and not doing ground work.



Just a factual point Ian - the guys name is Chen, not his style - I think he is a push hands champion - a Cheng manching stylist from Malaysia.


Thanks, Graham. I remember when I first saw the vid a while back there was more info. This vid has karate do listed for some strange reason. I did think the taiji player's moves looked somewhat similar to some of the Chen competition stuff I had seen, but so did Mario's performance in Chen Village and he was a CMC guy, too.

I appreciate the correction, as always.

Best, Ian
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
User avatar
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One
 
Posts: 1821
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 10:02 pm

Re: Chen TaiJi and BJJ Mashup.

Postby middleway on Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:18 am

Marcelos first blackbelt, Josh Waitzkin, is a Taiji Push Hands World Champ so i assume that is how the connection was made for Marcelo to be working in this setting. Josh can be seen at the start of the video.

Ref the ground work by Moling .... I think Graham said what i thought. Well done for him trying ... i guess. :/
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji
 
Posts: 4443
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 2:25 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Chen TaiJi and BJJ Mashup.

Postby jaime_g on Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:35 am

So terrible in so many ways... :-\
jaime_g
Wuji
 
Posts: 550
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:34 am

Re: Chen TaiJi and BJJ Mashup.

Postby Fubo on Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:31 pm

If he wants to know how to grapple, he should go to a gym that teaches grappling and learn. As Graham said, "he doesn't know what he doesn't know", and apparently that's a lot.
Fubo
Wuji
 
Posts: 1213
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:13 pm

Re: Chen TaiJi and BJJ Mashup.

Postby windwalker on Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:18 pm

Its a problem with many CMA teachers/masters that have not interacted much outside of their own field of expertise.
In seeking to step out so to speak some try it from a relatively safe environment where they still feel they have some degree of control.

The major problem as was noted being that the level is very unequal allowing things to be done that normally one would not be able to do.

Having said this whats the difference between this thread compared to this viewtopic.php?f=6&t=26724

Which "chinwoo noted: I agree, once again Paul shows great technical skills, but not practical in a realistic fight situation at all?.


Understanding they are examples shown within a context with someone of lesser skill in order to show a skill.
Is there a difference between the clips?
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rule 19
windwalker
Wuji
 
Posts: 6565
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:08 am

Re: Chen TaiJi and BJJ Mashup.

Postby Fubo on Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:37 am

windwalker wrote:Its a problem with many CMA teachers/masters that have not interacted much outside of their own field of expertise.
In seeking to step out so to speak some try it from a relatively safe environment where they still feel they have some degree of control.

The major problem as was noted being that the level is very unequal allowing things to be done that normally one would not be able to do.

Having said this whats the difference between this thread compared to this viewtopic.php?f=6&t=26724

Which "chinwoo noted: I agree, once again Paul shows great technical skills, but not practical in a realistic fight situation at all?.


Understanding they are examples shown within a context with someone of lesser skill in order to show a skill.
Is there a difference between the clips?


The difference is the Chen against BJJ guy makes a lot of fundamental beginner mistakes that anyone with a little less than a years training could take advantage of. He's over committed his posture and weight, his base is way to high and narrow, he's attacking the guy inside the guys guard, he's giving the guy his arm etc, and anyone with any amount of skill would have swept him or submitted him. The BJJ white belt was trying to apply a techniques without even setting it up. I could go on but yes u get the point.

Paul doesn't make these mistakes within the context he was working. It's not just about the difference in skill, it's about what your application reveals about what you know and dont know.
Last edited by Fubo on Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fubo
Wuji
 
Posts: 1213
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:13 pm

Re: Chen TaiJi and BJJ Mashup.

Postby cloudz on Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:51 am

He kinda always was a bit of a numpty boy and full of himself.. not in a good way like me anyway.. he recently acted like a total tit prima donna on a relatively new facebook group we were both on.

It's all very well experimenting privately in your own time I suppose, right ? But what's the motivation of putting it out there, that's precisely the moment it's questionable.
And so it is. He can't possibly believe he lives in a bubble, so people are going to see it for what it is.

Someone who is not competent in that position and doing things that will get him snuffed out very quickly by those that are.
Or is everyone supposed to be impressed and say well done. No, better to tell him to go learn from the experts in those positions. Who's it supposed to serve: other wannabe TCMA guys who probably know even less than him about what they don't know?

Seems simply like a case of the blind leading the blind and it shouldn't pass without it being said should it.
Last edited by cloudz on Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:55 am, edited 5 times in total.
The old man calmly said: “Among the mighty are those who are mightier. In martial arts, no one presumes to praise his own ability. But because you are young, you don't know the scale of the world, and are unaware of how ridiculous you are. Why be upset?”
cloudz
Great Old One
 
Posts: 2528
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:00 am
Location: London UK

Re: Chen TaiJi and BJJ Mashup.

Postby windwalker on Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:17 am

Fubo wrote:
It's not just about the difference in skill, it's about what your application reveals about what you know and dont know.


thanks for a well reasoned reply.

Not a big fan of showing combative things in a ph format as shown.

With Mo's clip, my only comment on it.

If one is trying to understand what or how something they did would work out of the normal context of their art,
it makes no sense to try it with a person whos skill level is not up to a level to make it self evident of
why either something would work or not.

example of someone who meets and works with others outside of the normal range of
their art with in the context he expects to use it in "the street"


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX8BKQFvp8c
rule 19
windwalker
Wuji
 
Posts: 6565
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:08 am

Next

Return to Video Links

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests