"traditional" v. "modern" MA: jiu-jitsu

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

"traditional" v. "modern" MA: jiu-jitsu

Postby Tom on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:14 am

Recently in his Tai Chi Notebook blog, Graham Barlow posted an interesting look by BJJ black belt Stephan Kesting at "traditional" jiu-jitsu compared/contrasted with BJJ, a more modern development, from the point of view of how techniques are developed with specific circumstances in mind (e.g., opponent potentially holding a knife).

https://taichinotebook.wordpress.com/2018/01/18/traditional-vs-brazilian-jiujitsu/
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.

---Vernon Law
Tom
Administrator
 
Posts: 4511
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:33 am

Re: "traditional" v. "modern" MA: jiu-jitsu

Postby GrahamB on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:09 pm

Ineteresting blog - I used to know that guy :)
Stable Genius.
Winky Faces Make Your Texts Sarcastic, Scientists Say
User avatar
GrahamB
Great Old One
 
Posts: 11192
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 3:30 pm

Re: "traditional" v. "modern" MA: jiu-jitsu

Postby Finny on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:31 pm

Great videos - a fantastic analysis of the differences, from two guys who know what they're talking aboot.
User avatar
Finny
Great Old One
 
Posts: 1278
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 8:16 pm

Re: "traditional" v. "modern" MA: jiu-jitsu

Postby Tom on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:35 pm

GrahamB wrote:Ineteresting blog - I used to know that guy :)


That was before you became a stable genius.
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.

---Vernon Law
Tom
Administrator
 
Posts: 4511
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:33 am

Re: "traditional" v. "modern" MA: jiu-jitsu

Postby Franklin on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:23 pm

cool vids


but why did he have to kiai to stab the dude...
;D
Franklin
Great Old One
 
Posts: 1184
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 5:56 am
Location: Taipei, Taiwan

Re: "traditional" v. "modern" MA: jiu-jitsu

Postby Finny on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:36 pm

Franklin wrote:
but why did he have to kiai to stab the dude...
;D


Because "traditional". Some kiai in koryu have different meanings/purposes (come to think of it, just as in CMA... i remember being told about that in my CLF days)
User avatar
Finny
Great Old One
 
Posts: 1278
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 8:16 pm

Re: "traditional" v. "modern" MA: jiu-jitsu

Postby Franklin on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:07 am

Finny wrote:
Franklin wrote:
but why did he have to kiai to stab the dude...
;D


Because "traditional". Some kiai in koryu have different meanings/purposes (come to think of it, just as in CMA... i remember being told about that in my CLF days)



always thought those clf sounds were weird too
sort of stylistic only-- not for any internal training...
Franklin
Great Old One
 
Posts: 1184
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 5:56 am
Location: Taipei, Taiwan

Re: "traditional" v. "modern" MA: jiu-jitsu

Postby windwalker on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:37 am

Franklin wrote:
Finny wrote:
Franklin wrote:

always thought those clf sounds were weird too
sort of stylistic only-- not for any internal training...


Hung style uses sounds as part of its internal training. Iron wire set


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECk0cXs9U00
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
rule 19
windwalker
Wuji
 
Posts: 6565
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:08 am

Re: "traditional" v. "modern" MA: jiu-jitsu

Postby Finny on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:42 am

Franklin wrote:
always thought those clf sounds were weird too
sort of stylistic only-- not for any internal training...

Yeah me too - my line didn't do them iirc.

some kiai in traditional Japanese arts have purposes other than internal training, from what I gather
User avatar
Finny
Great Old One
 
Posts: 1278
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 8:16 pm

Re: "traditional" v. "modern" MA: jiu-jitsu

Postby C.J.W. on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:59 pm

Great vids and nice moves. However, as someone who's dabbled in classical Jujitsu in the past, here's my two cents:

1. There are literally hundreds of extant and extinct styles of classical Jujitsu in Japan, with each having its own unique set of techniques and combative focus and approach. It'd be erroneous, IMO, to assume that a particular technique taken from an unspecified system could be deemed representative of all classical Jujitsu styles. It'd be much better if they'd mention specifically the style from which the arm bar they show comes from just so that the viewers can be informed.

2. The rear naked choke I've seen in most classical styles, or koryu, usually involves crushing the opponent's trachea by applying direct pressure with the radial bone of the forearm (a.k.a. 'an air choke'). The idea is to damage the opponent as quickly as possible once the choke is in place -- as opposed to pressuring the carotid arteries with a blood choke and waiting for 5 to 10 seconds (if you are lucky) for them to pass out. The blood choke version of RNC, IMO, is sportive and not classical. Choking techniques involving the use of lapels, on the other hand, are the ones meant to be used MAINLY as blood chokes.

3. Blood-curdling kiai from Wushu and JMA guys always make my toes curl. Kiai is not a shouting contest, nor is it done on purpose; it's the RESULT of rapidly condensing and sinking the breath into the lower dantian for an extra burst of power (which is useful both offensively and defensively) at the moment of impact. It's like switching on the turbo/NOS in a car race for that extra "oomph" near the finish line.
C.J.W.
Wuji
 
Posts: 1601
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 5:02 am

Re: "traditional" v. "modern" MA: jiu-jitsu

Postby Finny on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:22 pm

C.J.W. wrote:Great vids and nice moves. However, as someone who's dabbled in classical Jujitsu in the past, here's my two cents:

1. There are literally hundreds of extant and extinct styles of classical Jujitsu in Japan, with each having its own unique set of techniques and combative focus and approach. It'd be erroneous, IMO, to assume that a particular technique taken from an unspecified system could be deemed representative of all classical Jujitsu styles. It'd be much better if they'd mention specifically the style from which the arm bar they show comes from just so that the viewers can be informed.

2. The rear naked choke I've seen in most classical styles, or koryu, usually involves crushing the opponent's trachea by applying direct pressure with the radial bone of the forearm (a.k.a. 'an air choke'). The idea is to damage the opponent as quickly as possible once the choke is in place -- as opposed to pressuring the carotid arteries with a blood choke and waiting for 5 to 10 seconds (if you are lucky) for them to pass out. The blood choke version of RNC, IMO, is sportive and not classical. Choking techniques involving the use of lapels, on the other hand, are the ones meant to be used MAINLY as blood chokes.

3. Blood-curdling kiai from Wushu and JMA guys always make my toes curl. Kiai is not a shouting contest, nor is it done on purpose; it's the RESULT of rapidly condensing and sinking the breath into the lower dantian for an extra burst of power (which is useful both offensively and defensively) at the moment of impact. It's like switching on the turbo/NOS in a car race for that extra "oomph" near the finish line.


1. Takenouchi ryu Bichu-den.

On the other points I don't really have much input I'm afraid - not a JJ guy. I agree with some of the points made in '3' - although I think your description is somewhat limiting. I know of koryu which use kiai as a form of 'opener' - wherein the practitioners signal to each other that "it's on", essentially. There are also other reasons given - some spiritual, associated with performing todome (coup de gras), some for 'switching on the NOS' as you say, some psychological (Jigen ryu springs to mind hehe) some for other reasons.
User avatar
Finny
Great Old One
 
Posts: 1278
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 8:16 pm

Re: "traditional" v. "modern" MA: jiu-jitsu

Postby C.J.W. on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:56 pm

Regarding kiai, perhaps I should have avoided borrowing the Japanese term. I was speaking more from the perspective of CMA/CIMA.

Sure, the sound produced when performing kiai, like you said, can serve a variety of purposes. (There are health benefits as well when performed correctly.) The point I was getting at is that there are many TMA practitioners out there, especially those who've watched Karate Kid too many times, who tend to think that kiai is just about making a battle cry to look tough, and only shout for the sake of shouting without giving it much thought.
Last edited by C.J.W. on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C.J.W.
Wuji
 
Posts: 1601
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 5:02 am

Re: "traditional" v. "modern" MA: jiu-jitsu

Postby Finny on Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:19 pm

Yeah absolutely. I personally find it pretty challenging - my school is known for having particularly long (in Japanese terms) forms, and when I'm focused and pushing myself I tend not to kiai enough, or at all.

But sure - plenty of folks are pretty cringy with it.
User avatar
Finny
Great Old One
 
Posts: 1278
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 8:16 pm


Return to Video Links

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests