Martial Man - Adam Mizner revisited

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Martial Man - Adam Mizner revisited

Postby wiesiek on Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:31 am

oragami_itto wrote:
charles wrote:
Bao wrote:I found a video with a somewhat brief explanation of mechanics with a demonstration.

now THIS video is why I send Adam $50 a month and not any of you lot

Nice,
but
from the >throwin` arts< point of v.,- tryin` to throw Adam when he is easy able to change for stable position is stupid like hell,
he should vary the attack a little , just simple pull-push combination /let`s say tai o toshi/osotogari/.
If Adam is as good as the claims, attacker will be throwing himself nicely :P
ok,
I know,demo and all that jazz, however who in reality is just pulling like donkey ?
By using combination, such demo would gets more edge, and Adam could present some real skilz up front of us,
and maybe gets one more pupil...

sorry for interruption
joyful usefullnes of the effords
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Rhen on Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:53 am

Trick wrote:
Rhen wrote:would love to see that shady marketing salesman show up at a push hands, or fight event. he never will but will put on fake demos, with students acting, and believe he is "the shit".

No wonder "dumbass videos" featured him.

https://www.facebook.com/dumbassmartialarts/videos/941220089400539

First we are to be iritated because he don't punch heavy bags, and now we are to be upset that he use "Boxing" moves instead of "Taiji" moves....interesting 8-)

Better to be irritated about how he believes in his own false advertising. Scripted fight scene, believes he can knock people out, thinks he can fight. Will never enter a fight competition cause it is not going to go that way and he knows it while taking peoples money. Be mad at the fakery. He has called other Tai Chi guys who have fought as "kickboxers" , but this his hypocritical ass goes and shows a boxing move as Tai chi and too afraid to enter a push hands match let alone a ring or cage.
Rhen
Anjing

Postby Bao on Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:50 am

oragami_itto wrote:now THIS video is why I send Adam $50 a month and not any of you lot

I slowed down and paused some moments just to get something to nag and bitch about. I was very disappointed because it looked even better and more convincing this way. I don’t think that “attacks” were fully committed. But he still show very good following skills and good timing. I can understand why already very experience practitioners say that he is the real deal. 8-)

But... 2 things just to continue to annoy you... ;D

Solo practice, drills, stance work form etc. i.e. the most of that I have understood (I can be wrong) that he teach through his online courses, has absolutely nothing to do with timing and following & adapting skill.

And I still don’t understand why the earlier punching vid (with Adam) that I showed should be detrimental to what is in this vid. If you can have both, why not?

??? :-\
Last edited by Bao on Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby oragami_itto on Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:26 am

Bao wrote:
Solo practice, drills, stance work form etc. i.e. the most of that I have understood (I can be wrong) that he teach through his online courses, has absolutely nothing to do with timing and following & adapting skill.

There are also partner drills.
His primary thesis, if I've got it correctly, is that the exercises transform the body into what he calls the "taiji creature" that moves in a fundamentally different way.
To that end, MOST of the work is solo work until you reach a certain level of conditioning.
And I still don’t understand why the earlier punching vid (with Adam) that I showed should be detrimental to what is in this vid. If you can have both, why not?

I meant that more as a response to the "teacher test" aspect of the post. There's nothing wrong with it IMHO. Just clarifying what it was that drew me to his work, which you seem to have seen a bit of as well.
Essentially that video looked to me how it felt when I was working with someone as a bouncer, and he's the only person I've seen demonstrating or even talking about that aspect of taiji. Sure there is Shuai, Na, Tui, Da, but it's not the same as kickboxing, as someone else mentioned. (That punch is single whip, btw)
Last edited by oragami_itto on Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"This principle is very obvious and requires no further elaboration."
-Yang Cheng Fu
oragami_itto
Wuji

Postby Bao on Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:38 am

His primary thesis, if I've got it correctly, is that the exercises transform the body into what he calls the "taiji creature" that moves in a fundamentally different way. To that end, MOST of the work is solo work until you reach a certain level of conditioning.

This is where I slightly disagree. Being is doing. Doing is being. Building up a tai chi shenfa, body, animal, beast etc, is just fine. But the thing is that even if solo practice can build up a beast, it still doesn't teach you how to unleash it or how to use it. Following, adapting and timing is something you still need to teach that animal. If you cannot be, you cannot do. But also if you cannot do, you cannot be.
Last edited by Bao on Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby oragami_itto on Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:42 am

You have to read all the way to the end of the sentence Bao.
-Yang Cheng Fu
oragami_itto
Wuji

Postby Bao on Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:55 am

oragami_itto wrote:You have to read all the way to the end of the sentence Bao.

What sentence did I miss? Conditioning (internal or/and external) without partner work is IMO quite worthless. You learn to become that beast by learning how to use it, i.e. practice against someone.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby oragami_itto on Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:10 pm

How you gonna use what you ain't got?

Like I said though, partner drills are on the curriculum. You can see some examples if you search YouTube.
Last edited by oragami_itto on Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Yang Cheng Fu
oragami_itto
Wuji

Postby Bao on Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:37 pm

oragami_itto wrote:How you gonna use what you ain't got?

Doing is being. Learning to do is learning to be.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:14 pm

oragami_itto wrote:There are also partner drills.
His primary thesis, if I've got it correctly, is that the exercises transform the body into what he calls the "taiji creature" that moves in a fundamentally different way.
To that end, MOST of the work is solo work until you reach a certain level of conditioning

I'm inline of this procedure too, first development/conditioning by solo exercises then add continued development/conditioning by partner work, probably a very common procedure but best to take it step by step...I think
Trick
Wuji

Postby willie on Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:31 pm

Bao wrote:
oragami_itto wrote:now THIS video is why I send Adam $50 a month and not any of you lot

I slowed down and paused some moments just to get something to nag and bitch about. I was very disappointed because it looked even better and more convincing this way. I don’t think that “attacks” were fully committed. But he still show very good following skills and good timing. I can understand why already very experience practitioners say that he is the real deal. 8-)

itto with his $50 a month comment is just foolishness. The video was acceptable that is all. Do you see any damage being done to the opponent? The answer is no. Even if he tried to put more power into those techniques they still would not be powerful enough to end the confrontation and most likely he would only get stuck if he tried. He is mostly just defending which is easy. Before I met my newest teacher I used to do it like that, mostly defending with root, ding , yielding , redirecting and listening. All of these things combined are only half of the power of Tai Chi. There is also a video of a chen stylist going against a big Japanese Judo black belt. I can't post the link because I'm on my iPhone. But I'm sure that everyone has seen that video. In the video the Tai Chi Master is only defending. Defending is only 1/2 of the Tai Chi symbol. So it is not really Tai Chi after all, is it?
Last edited by willie on Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
willie
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:01 pm

I was working with George barns the wrestler
You might know him in the states he toured with Larry odea as the kangaroos
I threw a punch at George ,he slid in underneath like the best ba kua man
Next thing I was up above his shoulders with my head pointing to the ground
George said you know what the hard part is now
I said no
It's to drop you on your feet not your head
Once you neutralise and control it is easy to crunch your opponent a little harder to throw them away without doing damage
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby willie on Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:24 pm

wayne hansen wrote:I was working with George barns the wrestler
You might know him in the states he toured with Larry odea as the kangaroos
I threw a punch at George ,he slid in underneath like the best ba kua man
Next thing I was up above his shoulders with my head pointing to the ground
George said you know what the hard part is now
I said no
It's to drop you on your feet not your head
Once you neutralise and control it is easy to crunch your opponent a little harder to throw them away without doing damage
hi Wayne. When I met my teacher he showed me that he could snap my arm 3 times in less than 10 seconds with high-power fajin. And that was with me resisting as well. now up until that time because of my other teachers, I didn't believe that fajin was very effective. In fact I was only a repeating the same stupid lines that I hear from everybody else. do you want to know what it is ? Oh all that fajin was just for show . They were wrong and so I was wrong. My teacher has frightening power. The kind of power that will end the confrontation immediately.
Last edited by willie on Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willie
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:55 pm

I guess I will just have to take your word for that
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby oragami_itto on Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:08 am

willie wrote: itto with his $50 a month comment is just foolishness.

That tracks, because I am a fool
-Yang Cheng Fu
oragami_itto
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links