Martial Man - Adam Mizner revisited

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Martial Man - Adam Mizner revisited

Postby Trick on Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:55 am

Maybe he thought the interviewer should know better than asking a "Buddhist" how to deliver strikes, but since the interviewer wanted physical explaination so he gave that(pushing) hoping the interviewer would get the idea? ......now I feel I'm getting too deep for my own mind, I better go to do something else for a moment :)
Trick

Postby Bao on Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:09 am

Oh yeah, you need to be a mind-reader to be able to decipher what he meant. Mind reading will be taught in year ten. Then you will be able to understand the real meaning of all of the classes from the nine earlier years.
... But I heard that those courses in psychic abilities are not very cheap.... :P
Last edited by Bao on Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:19 am

Maybe maybe not, but that could be one thing to read in to it.....not asking him about striking
Trick

Postby windwalker on Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:09 am

Trick wrote:Maybe maybe not, but that could be one thing to read in to it.....not asking him about striking

Maybe I'm missing something.

In his clip he directly talks about striking and contrast the methods talked about here with what he does.
He provides his rationale for his method and demo's each to contrast the differences. :-\
" It’s all in the Form; but only if it is, ALL in the Form."

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby RobP3 on Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:28 am

Bao wrote:
What he mention that he can do is not important. A lot of teachers speak a lot. I am very tired of everything teachers say. I never listen to what they say anymore, I only want to see what he can do. Many people speak about Qi and show pushing. This is no proof that they can apply their method for finishing strategies. Compare with William Chen. He teaches to everyone how to use a completely relaxed and empty body method to strike with. You can see quite a few vids with his demonstrations on the tube. Everyone who feels what he does or can look closely at what he does don't doubt that the now over 80 years old small guy have at least one of the strongest punches they've witnessed. He talks the talk and walks the walk. Now if you ask Mizner how to strike, he show a push and speak about Qi. Again, a push does not translate automatically into a strike. To make some damage, the fist need to be able to penetrate a surface. This is different from unbalancing a mass. They are different skills that needs different body mechanics and both needs practice.

This. Too many people think if they can give you a little pat on the face they can do some kind of catastrophic damage when it is "real". The feeling I get is that the reason he says "I am just hitting you softly" is to make his attacker/student nervous and more compliant. Wasn't there a Yang Family master who said "not to hit is not to teach"?
"Remember, if your life seems dull and boring - it is" Derek & Clive
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:54 am

Bao wrote:What he mention that he can do is not important. A lot of teachers speak a lot. I am very tired of everything teachers say. I never listen to what they say anymore, I only want to see what he can do. Many people speak about Qi and show pushing. This is no proof that they can apply their method for finishing strategies. Compare with William Chen. He teaches to everyone how to use a completely relaxed and empty body method to strike with. You can see quite a few vids with his demonstrations on the tube. Everyone who feels what he does or can look closely at what he does don't doubt that the now over 80 years old small guy have at least one of the strongest punches they've witnessed. He talks the talk and walks the walk. Now if you ask Mizner how to strike, he show a push and speak about Qi. Again, a push does not translate automatically into a strike. To make some damage, the fist need to be able to penetrate a surface. This is different from unbalancing a mass. They are different skills that needs different body mechanics and both needs practice.

Adam doesn't only "show a push and speak about Qi." Adam strikes at 7:47, 7:52, 8:00, 8:03, 8:06, 8:08, 8:18, 8:21, 8:39, 8:44 of the video.

At 7:19, he explains striking:
Adam Mizner wrote:In the form there are endless postures. This is striking, the five punches, the different directions of striking, the elbow, the shoulder stroke, the whole body as a hand. So, we strike like any other art. We hit them. How you do it. How you generate the power is different. And, how you control the situation is different.
Last edited by marvin8 on Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:57 am

marvin8 wrote:
Bao wrote:What he mention that he can do is not important. A lot of teachers speak a lot. I am very tired of everything teachers say. I never listen to what they say anymore, I only want to see what he can do. Many people speak about Qi and show pushing. This is no proof that they can apply their method for finishing strategies. Compare with William Chen. He teaches to everyone how to use a completely relaxed and empty body method to strike with. You can see quite a few vids with his demonstrations on the tube. Everyone who feels what he does or can look closely at what he does don't doubt that the now over 80 years old small guy have at least one of the strongest punches they've witnessed. He talks the talk and walks the walk. Now if you ask Mizner how to strike, he show a push and speak about Qi. Again, a push does not translate automatically into a strike. To make some damage, the fist need to be able to penetrate a surface. This is different from unbalancing a mass. They are different skills that needs different body mechanics and both needs practice.

Adam doesn't only "show a push and speak about Qi." Adam strikes at 7:47, 7:52, 8:00, 8:03, 8:06, 8:08, 8:18, 8:21, 8:39, 8:44 of the video.

At 7:19, he explains striking:
Adam Mizner wrote:In the form there are endless postures. This is striking, the five punches, the different directions of striking, the elbow, the shoulder stroke, the whole body as a hand. So, we strike like any other art. We hit them. How you do it. How you generate the power is different. And, how you control the situation is different.

some must've watched a different clip,,,ya think :P

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:18 am

windwalker wrote:some must've watched a different clip,,,ya think :P

All I can think of, you can see him hitting Kieran, just not knocking him out. Which is good for everyone. I don't need to see him put a hole in somebody to understand the power behind the strikes. I can feel it myself any time I want to hit something.

I don't think you're ever going to see Mizner with a bag or gloves. Generally HME folks hit people.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:04 am

Actually I don't Kieran. If he wanted to know if Adam could deliver a real tai chi punch with some real power behind it, he should have brought some kind of protection and asked to feel his punch. Now if Adam and his tai chi can punch or not remains theory. He can talk all he wants that proves nothing.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Re: Martial Man - Adam Mizner revisited - Chin na

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:30 pm

Trick wrote:
wayne hansen wrote:Was that full contact Karate

Shotokan-Karate, in which sparring/competition fighting is not full contact, the unwritten rule is "skin touch" to head/face "reasonable" contact to torso, but "accidents" happened......For the other forum members that don't know, In "traditionally" Karate strikes are not just isolated arm moves and in fighting a Karateka are not trained to first chamber the fist at the hip before striking 8-)

Damage done in semi contact is like a traffic accident
That's why they went to full contact
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:09 pm

Bao wrote:Actually I don't Kieran. If he wanted to know if Adam could deliver a real tai chi punch with some real power behind it, he should have brought some kind of protection and asked to feel his punch. Now if Adam and his tai chi can punch or not remains theory. He can talk all he wants that proves nothing.

Kieran never asked to show "real power." At 5:58, Kieran did ask, "How does Taijiquan strike and deal with striking?," which Adam explained and demonstrated. So, why does Adam have to demonstrate with "some kind of protection," when no other Taiji person does?

Adam explained the tai chi strike is different than "li" or "stupid power." He demonstrated controlling the opponent before fa. That the tai chi strike can be delivered without windup from different angles.

At 6:35 of the video:
Adam Mizner wrote:The point is not to strike with li, stupid force, by throwing your mass around, or simply accelerating the hand quickly. But, how to be song and mobilize the qi inside the body. So that the chi movement and jin movement creates the power. So, when you fa you’re mobilizing the chi and making the power without any percussion, any impact force—just through the body and out to send your opponent out like an arrow. . . .

marvin8 wrote:At 7:19, he explains striking:
Last edited by marvin8 on Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:07 pm

oragami_itto wrote:
All I can think of, you can see him hitting Kieran, just not knocking him out. Which is good for everyone. I don't need to see him put a hole in somebody to understand the power behind the strikes. I can feel it myself any time I want to hit something.

I don't think you're ever going to see Mizner with a bag or gloves. Generally HME folks hit people.

To be clear I agree he showed and gave his reasonings for the two different methods he talked about. My comment about must have been two different videos was meant as tongue and cheek to illustrate that people see different things
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:12 pm

He also talked about delivering power through the body as opposed to with the body. This is also my Outlook the body is a conductor of power or energy not the actor generating it. He use the metaphor it's like shooting an arrow from a bow, I quite agree with
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:53 pm

windwalker wrote:
oragami_itto wrote:

To be clear I agree he showed and gave his reasonings for the two different methods he talked about. My comment about must have been two different videos was meant as tongue and cheek to illustrate that people see different things

I was more talking to Bao's need to see him hit a heavy bag or focus mitt to see how hard he can hit. Understanding the method of power delivery, I already know he can hit like a ton of brick motherfuckers, particularly in a situation where you want to hurt someone and start the target moving towards the pain before releasing it
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:25 pm

Not quite clear to me
Are you saying you have been hit by him
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji