Taijiquan Foundations, V2, Introduction to Silk Reeling

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Taijiquan Foundations, V2, Introduction to Silk Reeling

Postby charles on Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:23 am

Bhassler wrote:Hi Charles,

What's your primary lineage? I seem to recall you've studied with a couple of different teachers. I don't have any criticisms (despite the fact that this is the internet), I'm just curious.

In Chen style, primarily Feng Zhiqiang and Chen Village.
charles
Wuji

Postby charles on Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:24 am

willie wrote:Hi Charles. I can definitely relate to what you're saying. How many times could you just do the opening move and not like it? If absolute perfection was necessary for the video, then hardly nobody would ever get off the first move

Thank you, Willie, I appreciate your kindness.
charles
Wuji

Postby charles on Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:29 am

Bao wrote: I thought the simpleness and how clear everything is laid out is quite brilliant...I like the more compact, direct connection shown here.

Thanks, Bao.
charles
Wuji

Postby HotSoup on Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:22 am

I have the first two volumes of Charles' TJQ Foundations and I love them. My main reason for getting them was to have a plainly laid-down explanation of the basics from the physical and technical angles. In my opinion, Charles' videos met this challenge quite well. Also, it was pretty educational for me to compare what different people studying the same style lay an emphasis on, both for seeing the evolution of the same teaching and asking myself why my teachers' emphases are different.

Aside of that, I admire what Charles is doing by investing so much time into making the material that is not just of a superb quality, but giving explanations in words and, what is more important, concepts comprehensible by a common Western practitioner of TJQ. Charles, thanks a lot for your hard work, I want you to know that it is heartfully appreciated!
HotSoup
Anjing

Postby charles on Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:30 am

HotSoup wrote: I want you to know that it is heartfully appreciated!

Thank you: I appreciate being appreciated. ;D
charles
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:19 am

charles wrote:
Bhassler wrote:Hi Charles,

What's your primary lineage? I seem to recall you've studied with a couple of different teachers. I don't have any criticisms (despite the fact that this is the internet), I'm just curious.

In Chen style, primarily Feng Zhiqiang and Chen Village.

Thanks. I thought it looked very Fengian....
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:35 am

Thank you for sharing your perspective!
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby willie on Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:52 am

charles wrote:
willie wrote:Hi Charles. I can definitely relate to what you're saying. How many times could you just do the opening move and not like it? If absolute perfection was necessary for the video, then hardly nobody would ever get off the first move

Thank you, Willie, I appreciate your kindness.
hi Charles, no problem.
I went back and watched the entire video now. I can see what Graham is talking about, and he is right. but it appears that you weren't really trying to show that the moves were powered by Dantian rotation in certain segments of the video. I would assume for Simplicity of learning for newcomers? I did however notice that you mentioned sinking the qi to The Dantian. however on this site every time somebody mentions that, you seem to oppose it? All in all the video was a success. I think that some people may not be aware of not only powering movement from the lower Dantian, but also from the upper Dantian.
Last edited by willie on Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
willie

Postby charles on Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:28 pm

willie wrote:... you mentioned sinking the qi to The Dantian. however on this site every time somebody mentions that, you seem to oppose it?

I'm not aware of opposing it. What's to oppose?

In Volume 1 and 3, I show rudimentary actions to accomplish it. Volume 2 isn't about how to do that and, since Volume 2 builds upon the content of Volume 1, it's assumed that the viewer already is familiar with it, hence it is referred to but not explicitly described.

All in all the video was a success.

Thanks.

I think that some people may not be aware of not only powering movement from the lower Dantian, but also from the upper Dantian.

In Feng's teachings, the lower dan tian is the perineum (hou yin), the upper is above and between the eyebrows (yin tang). The middle dan tian is the solar plexus area. This differs from "conventional" teachings.
charles
Wuji

Postby willie on Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:46 pm

charles wrote:
willie wrote:... you mentioned sinking the qi to The Dantian. however on this site every time somebody mentions that, you seem to oppose it?

I'm not aware of opposing it. What's to oppose?

In Volume 1 and 3, I show rudimentary actions to accomplish it. Volume 2 isn't about how to do that and, since Volume 2 builds upon the content of Volume 1, it's assumed that the viewer already is familiar with it, hence it is referred to but not explicitly described.

All in all the video was a success.

Thanks.

I think that some people may not be aware of not only powering movement from the lower Dantian, but also from the upper Dantian.

In Feng's teachings, the lower dan tian is the perineum (hou yin), the upper is above and between the eyebrows (yin tang). The middle dan tian is the solar plexus area. This differs from "conventional" teachings.
if I remember correctly on several occasions, I had mentioned sinking that qi and you stated that qi didn't exist or at least was irrelevant or overrated. Then I mentioned whj talking about it quite often and so did CXW. I also believe that you had said something about it even when Adam had spoke of it? Yes you are correct, sometimes in different Arts they call the upper Dantian the third eye between the eyebrows. What I am talking about is the functional upper Dantian, the opening and closing of the chest and back.
Last edited by willie on Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby windwalker on Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:33 pm

edited :-\
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby willie on Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:52 pm

windwalker wrote:
The Lower Dantian is the Dantian most familiar to martial artists and meditators, as it is the first place on which they are trained to focus their concentration. It is regarded as the center of physical strength and the source of stamina. Called the "hara" in Japanese, it is located in the lower abdomen, in the center of the triangle formed by drawing a line between the navel, Mingmen (lower back), and perineum. These three points form a pyramid facing downward. This configuration allows the Lower Dantian to gather earth energy
hi Windwalker. The only reason why I even mentioned it, is because Graham said that he did not like the way that Charles was moving in a disconnected manner. It's probably not the case this time, but it is possible to just use the opening and closing of the back and chest independently. Personally I thought that Charles did a pretty damn good job on that video. Chen Style is the hardest of them all in my opinion and making a video on it is quite a task
willie

Postby windwalker on Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:08 pm

willie wrote:
windwalker wrote:
hi Windwalker. The only reason why I even mentioned it, is because Graham said that he did not like the way that Charles was moving in a disconnected manner. It's probably not the case this time, but it is possible to just use the opening and closing of the back and chest independently. Personally I thought that Charles did a pretty damn good job on that video. Chen Style is the hardest of them all in my opinion and making a video on it is quite a task

thought it would help,,, in understanding i'll delete my post and move it to a post of its own..
I applaud anyone who puts a clip up to show their work....even If I may not agree with their narrative of whats shown.

kudos to charles and your self. ;) .
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Ozguorui on Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:00 pm

Just got out my Volume 1 CD's, - really, really good. My endorsement is worth nothing, but I give it anyway! Will be downloading Vol 2 once I work through Vol 1 again!
Ozguorui
Mingjing

Postby Bao on Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:07 am

Charles, just out of curiosity... Do you believe that dantian rotation have a place in these exercises and how would you describe the dantian rotation you would suggest practicing?
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links