Martial Secrets 1 - Song Xingyiquan Five Fists

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Martial Secrets 1 - Song Xingyiquan Five Fists

Postby lineofintent on Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:34 pm

Flying Monk Talk Show presents the first of an ongoing series with many experts of the traditional Asian fighting arts

Suen Ming with a basic introduction to the five fists of Song style Xingyiquan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zggx8G ... e=youtu.be
lineofintent
Wuji

Re: Martial Secrets 1 - Song Xingyiquan Five Fists

Postby AJG on Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:42 pm

Why is his arse moving all over the place ?

Most experienced guys will see the absence of "steadying the buttocks"

Sorry just didn't like it.
AJG
Anjing

Postby jaime_g on Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:46 am

Interesting :)
jaime_g
Wuji

Postby posidon on Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:35 am

Thank you Alex for this. FMTS is really advancing!!!

Great idea, waiting for the next ones!!!

Good morning to all! A very shiny morning here in western Greece :)
posidon
Mingjing

Postby aiasthewall on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:29 am

Cool! Curious what line of Song Xingyi this comes from, and how it differs from the commonly seen Zhao family:

They both seem to have emphasis on loose kua, moving force through the relaxed rotation and opening closing of the pelvic area, fajin, etc. The OP's seems even looser than these gents, though that might just be individual expression.
aiasthewall
Anjing

Postby lineofintent on Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:05 am

Suen Ming's study is mainly within GM Song Guang Hua and his son's lineage from Taigu, and with GM's student in Hong Kong.

Yes there is a quite some difference of emphasis with Zhao branch, and GM Zhao Yongchang made some interesting developments to his teaching. For example his ten keywords form the core principles of practice, and series of Neigong exercises for Dantian cultivation - it is still distinctly Song style but with its own flavour.

For those interested in these topics I discuss them in some detail in my new book being published next month.

(Maybe Jon from Hong Kong can add more since he has met all of the practitioners.)
lineofintent
Wuji

Postby nicklinjm on Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:17 pm

Thanks Alex for posting this. Suenming (actually his name is Sun Tat-Ming, or Sun Daming if you want the Mandarin version) is one of the guys from the HK group under Zeng Hanjie. However, as Alex says he makes regular trips to Shanxi to study with Song Baogui shibo (son of Song Guanghua).

Agree that the Zhao family have refined and built on what they learnt from Song Tielin - and I am a huge fan of M Zhao Yongchang and Zhao Chuanhui shibo - but I would caution against reading too much into the differences in shenfa. A lot of the differences are down to individual expression, and for example Gary See in HK, who has studied with the same teachers as Suenming, has a fajin and expression which almost looks like Tian branch people.

One thing to note - no crazy shaking in this video - hope Song style can shake the damage done by Tadzio G! ;D
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby lineofintent on Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:10 am

Thanks Jon.

I think some of the present generation of SXYQ people are still quite influenced in expression by long previous training in HXYQ.

As long as it is going towards comfortable and natural it is all good!

(Maybe its a HK Cantonese thing, when I asked Ming about his family name he said to Romanise it as Suen)
lineofintent
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:57 am

Very interesting. I'd love to see some applications!
C.J.W.
Wuji

Return to Video Links