Small Circle Training London — Andy Mack

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Small Circle Training London — Andy Mack

Postby marvin8 on Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:50 pm

charles wrote:Sorry, I should have been more clear. What I meant was that it appears there are differing understandings and interpretations about what "small circle" is or means. I didn't mean to imply anything about you, specifically, or your training or what you do or do not know. The term "we" was intended to be a general plurality, not you and me, specifically. I should not have used the vague term "we" since it can be interpreted in ways that I did not intend. Effective communication is to eliminate the possibility of misinterpretation of what was said. Clearly, my communication was not effective. My apologies for offending you.

Small circle may be in reference to the Yang Shao Hou form, in general. Excerpt from Yang Shao Hou, http://heavenmanearth.com/en/yang-shao-hou_38.html:
Heaven Man Earth wrote:Yang Lu Chan taught his art to his sons, Yang Ban Hou and Yang Jien Hou. Yang Jien Hou later modified the form to create his middle frame, making the hidden internal circles manifest on the outside thus making the form easier to learn.

When Shao Hou was young, he taught the middle frame established by his father, but later changed direction. He developed the small frame form that was high with small movements done in a sometimes slow and sometimes sudden manner. This “small frame” was mainly developed by the teachings Shao Hou had received while living and training under his uncle, Ban Hou.

Excerpt from Yang Shao-hou, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yang_Shao-hou:
Wikipedia wrote:In the early years he taught the 'middle frame' that was developed by his father, but later began developing his own signature style which was likely developed from the techniques taught to him by his uncle. This form or style was referred to as 'small circle'. This was characterized by high and low postures with small movements done in a sometimes slow and sometimes sudden manner.
Last edited by marvin8 on Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:25 pm

My Wu style practiced the Yang Shao Hao small circle form
It was taught in the Chen Wing Kwong lineage
I never learnt that form but saw it often
It had the jumping double kick before hit tiger and a unique needle at sea bottom
It was very much like the Wu style in the tightness of the circles
When I have taught my students Wu style I have always taught it as a small circle form because they had the Yang as a large circle form
I still would like to know who on this forum is in the clip above
As for pole shaking it is an external exercise that can give internal benefits but so can most other external exercises
I would like to know the lineage of these exercises as they are not part of Huangs lineage
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:34 am

charles wrote:
cloudz wrote:We may do, I wouldn't know. But all I offered you was what I thought the clip title refered to within the clip itself.

Thank you for your input.

You seem to have extrapulated an awful lot from that.

My understanding, my training.. my my, it's as if you could tell me all about it !
That is pretty Impressive, even for you.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. What I meant was that it appears there are differing understandings and interpretations about what "small circle" is or means. I didn't mean to imply anything about you, specifically, or your training or what you do or do not know. The term "we" was intended to be a general plurality, not you and me, specifically. I should not have used the vague term "we" since it can be interpreted in ways that I did not intend. Effective communication is to eliminate the possibility of misinterpretation of what was said. Clearly, my communication was not effective. My apologies for offending you.

Oh I see, fair enough, it happens from time to time. I wouldn't normally mind, but I thought your question was sincere and straight up. It sounded as if you didn't see why Andy Mack called it small circle and or what it was refering to in the clip. It seems that was a bit misleading, whether intentional or not. I recall that I had a similar first reaction / impression and had to re watch it a little due to their being a fair amount of content. All I would add is I am not a "Mizner guy", never met Andy M and was not there, so it's just what I'm able to see in the clip.

But, having said that..
Beyond the literal ramifications that are well known and obvious I don't personally subscribe to a deeper obfuscated meaning, that's probably better served by some other description(s) in the English language. I do recall something I found interesting and useful about Chen style small frame practice which was not directly about size or circles, but would be indirectly I believe. Beyond that I have no idea what you might be talking about. Another day another tai chi riddle I guess!

In the tai chi I personally practice, small means small, large means large and circles mean circles.
But Thankyou for the explanation/ apology, I appreciate it.
Last edited by cloudz on Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:00 am, edited 7 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby charles on Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:00 am

cloudz wrote:I thought your question was sincere and straight up

It was.

It sounded as if you didn't see why Andy Mack called it small circle and or what it was refering to in the clip.

That is correct. Marvin8 suggested that it may be a small frame. I see little that I'd describe as small "circle".

In the tai chi I personally practice, small means small, large means large and circles mean circles.

Ditto.
charles
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:44 pm

Doesn't the small circle just refer that they are now teaching the yang Shao Hao form
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby driftwood on Mon May 07, 2018 2:08 am

I opened this link thinking this would be small circle jujitsu a la wally jay. that kind of qinna, once you have some proficiency, is good for dealing with pumped up meatheads. You just need a handle. As far as the video goes... I see good tuishou techniques. Interesting.
driftwood
Santi

Previous

Return to Video Links