Wing Chun (詠春) meet Systema (西斯特玛)

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Wing Chun (詠春) meet Systema (西斯特玛)

Postby windwalker on Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:20 pm

Good attitude

Interesting in that they compare and contrast punching power
some feel it doesn't account for much. :-\

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqVeYQYvPYk
Last edited by windwalker on Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Re: Wing Chun (詠春) meet Systema (西斯特玛)

Postby C.J.W. on Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:11 pm

Good attitude for sure, but if they think their punching methods are similar, then both of them really need to go back to the drawing board and take a much, much more in-depth look at the body methods taught in their respective systems.

In my eyes, they are about as different as night and day. ;)

I'm really not a fan of over-generalization when it comes to comparing different martial art styles. Too often we see practitioners who like to throw out rudimentary ideas or universal principles and try to pass them off as evidence supporting their claims that certain styles are "the same" or "similar." But IMO, making statements such as "both emphasize relaxation and sensitivity" is basically as pointless and DUH-worthy as saying "both make use of gravity" or "both generate power from the body not just the arms."

If the WC guy has bothered to take the time to meet and train with the Systema guys, and make a video of his encounter, I sincerely hope he would take the opportunity to delve deeper into the arts as opposed to merely scratching the surface and saying, "Ok, Systema is just like WC!"

P.S. The anti-qinna move at 9:30 is one of the classic applications for Cheng style Bagua's Single Palm Change. ;D
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:14 pm

Btw, these days I'm much more impressed by people who can tell me in detail how two styles are DIFFERENT rather than SIMILAR.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:08 pm

C.J.W. wrote:Good attitude for sure, but if they think their punching methods are similar, then both of them really need to go back to the drawing board and take a much, much more in-depth look at the body methods taught in their respective systems.

I took their comment as more to it felt simular, not done similarly

In my eyes, they are about as different as night and day. ;)

I'm really not a fan of over-generalization when it comes to comparing different martial art styles. Too often we see practitioners who like to throw out rudimentary ideas or universal principles and try to pass them off as evidence supporting their claims that certain styles are "the same" or "similar." But IMO, making statements such as "both emphasize relaxation and sensitivity" is basically as pointless and DUH-worthy as saying "both make use of gravity" or "both generate power from the body not just the arms."

If the WC guy has bothered to take the time to meet and train with the Systema guys, and make a video of his encounter, I sincerely hope he would take the opportunity to delve deeper into the arts as opposed to merely scratching the surface and saying, "Ok, Systema is just like WC!"
being like is not the same as "is"

P.S. The anti-qinna move at 9:30 is one of the classic applications for Cheng style Bagua's Single Palm Change. ;D

Is this not a generalization since it is not Bagua, neither of them know Bagua :P

My feelings reflect what David Chin mentioned

" Different styles specialize on different techniques and usually these people don't pick them up. They don't know how to use them. For example, tongbei is different than regular kung fu. It's the way they use the power, the way they deliver momentum and striking force.

That's what makes it outstanding. I don't say that these new styles are bad kung fu or anything like that. I always say 'Whatever you do, I don't want. Whatever I do and you don't know - that's how we win.'"
David Chin

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/ ... rticle=661

Thought the ground work by the systema teacher was interesting.
Maybe some of the systema guys and comment on whether it
is reflective or not of good systema.
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby RobP3 on Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:44 am

It's okay. By and large I agree with CJW
"Remember, if your life seems dull and boring - it is" Derek & Clive
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby KEND on Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:54 pm

Interesting. I think the WC guy could have gone deeper in his research. There are clear differences. The Systema guy uses body manipulation reminiscent of Bagua, Aikido and wrestling, the punches use whipping power[he took it easy those shots hurt], he uses body sticking rather than a bridge with arm , WC uses more standup, bridge with arm, evasion by shifting weight, punch uses internal muscles[ shoulderblade]. Not much similarity
KEND
Great Old One

Postby KEND on Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:24 pm

As was said the WC guy had heart but not much skill. I have noticed over the last decades the WC skill has degenerated into chain punching, that's it. Even Bruce Lee realized he had to modify his style to fight different styles. Cung Lee , a very skilled fighter also modified his approach. If you are going to fight MMA accordingly you have to know what you are doing no matter what your style, Apparently there are sections of the CMA community still living under the delusion of invincibility.I remember many years ago when the Thai boxers invaded Hong Kong something similar happened. The CMA styles have great skills but the WuShu emasculated them.
KEND
Great Old One

Return to Video Links