Karuhat — Muay Thai: Reading, Timing, Double Weight, etc.

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Karuhat — Muay Thai: Reading, Timing, Double Weight, etc.

Postby marvin8 on Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:32 am

In these private lessons, Karuhat trains Sylvie not only techniques but how and when to use them. Regardless of MA style, Karhut directly/indirectly teaches important concepts including knowing the opponent, reading, timing, rhythm, feints, relaxation, double weight, hiding intent, weight shifting, substantial, insubstantial, etc.

Karuhat trains Sylvie how to read moments he/the opponent is double weighted, when to attack, how to hide her intentions, etc., in real time with light sparring.

Sylvie von Duuglas-Ittu - Muay Thai
Uploaded on Mar 29, 2018

My first day of a 3 day prep experiment with Karuhat.

We came to Bangkok a month early for 3 days to run an experiment to see if 2 privates a day and training at the very rigorous Dejrat Gym in the evenings, added to watching, recording and uploading video commentary was even feasible. It was going to be both psychologically and physically draining, and it turned out that I could handle it. This was the first Karuhat session of the 1st of those three days. If you are new to my work with Karuhat you can find multiple full sessions with commentary already in the Patreon Muay Thai Library project:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B95srOZZBok

Uploaded on Mar 27, 2018

This was my 2nd day of our 3 day experiment - still struggling a little but starting to feel it.

The first two days of our 3 day experiment were pretty much a grind, a combination of pushing through the incredible pleasure of having the opportunity to work back-to-back on the same themes of development, but also feeling frustrated that I could not yet feel or see the hidden rhythms he’s pushing me toward:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhoEp4I9hQU

Published on Apr 3, 2018

Today things really started to click. I was saying in the pocket, and discovering rhythm.

This was my first good day. I’m not quite sure what happened, but this session really made me optimistic about what could be possible in April. There was just a powerful shift where not only did my attitude towards learning improve, also my aptitude did as well. I was staying in and not falling out, and I had picked up the rhythm that Karuhat was inviting me to feel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIpfhYhEW7Q
marvin8
Wuji

Re: Karuhat — Muay Thai: Reading, Timing, Double Weight, etc.

Postby nicklinjm on Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:02 pm

Some really nice stuff in that last video about pivoting off the attack, using stutter step and reacting to the opponent`s rhythm, thanks for posting!
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:12 pm

nicklinjm wrote:Some really nice stuff in that last video about pivoting off the attack, using stutter step and reacting to the opponent`s rhythm, thanks for posting!

Sylvie's point was not to stutter step but, to shift one's weight smoothly. Shifting one's weight from leg to leg without stopping while timing the opponent's rhythm. This allows seamless transition between loading/unloading the hip to defend, attack or feint.

@ 2:06 of the previous video:
Sylvie wrote:"I am doing this stutter step thing again. I’m jerking my way forward, instead of floating my way forward. Look at how he does it. Look at his space. He does do like these little jerks. But, it’s his weight moving. It's not stopping. I’m basically like a pogo stick. And, he is like slicing through things."
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Overlord on Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:35 am

I love Sagat power, his understanding of martial arts is close to that CMA.
Also love Somrak. Simply a beauty.
But feeling is essential, not machine~
Overlord

Postby marvin8 on Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:20 pm

Overlord wrote:I love Sagat power, his understanding of martial arts is close to that CMA.
Also love Somrak. Simply a beauty.
But feeling is essential, not machine~

Thinking they are machines and not using feeling may be from a lack of understanding of muay thai. Karuhat is showing how to understand, read, setup up, and control one's opponent, before and after contact is made.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Overlord on Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:36 pm

You no understanding ~
No feel, no talk...
How feel, then we talk~
Don’t be machine!
Cheers~
Overlord

Postby marvin8 on Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:23 pm

Overlord wrote:You no understanding ~
No feel, no talk...
How feel, then we talk~
Don’t be machine!
Cheers~

You no understanding muay thai -
No aware, position, deceive; no, feel, no talk..
Too late!

no video, no happen
:)-
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Overlord on Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:29 am

Marvin eight~
Yes you are right, I am beginner in Muaythai.
In fact I consider myself a beginner in martial art.
It’s just coincidence that all the teaching I got from different schools over the years,
Feeling seems a common tool, and particularly my trainers instructions in Muaythai where it’s very specific.
And from my experience, if you do it right, feel is right~
If you disagree that is ok. I am happy and wish you well in your Muaythai endeavour.
Even within Muaythai, there are so many different schools~
We are simply not on the same page, that is all.
Cheers,
Overlord

Postby Trick on Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:02 am

Many different schools of Muay Thai - as in many many different styles? This was news to me, is that situation as complex as let's say as Japanese Karate or/and as diverse as Chinese boxing?
Trick

Postby Overlord on Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:56 am

Trick wrote:Many different schools of Muay Thai - as in many many different styles? This was news to me, is that situation as complex as let's say as Japanese Karate or/and as diverse as Chinese boxing?

Trick, the situation is bit like kendo in Japan~
Same same but different~
Or different but same same~ ;D
Overlord

Return to Video Links