Martial Secrets 5 - Simon Das Silat Pukulan

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Martial Secrets 5 - Simon Das Silat Pukulan

Postby middleway on Mon May 07, 2018 1:19 am

Although no video clips from that tournament 8-) I think in most minds nowadays the famous Taiji vs WhiteCrane masters full-contact fight might come to mind quite easy when trying to imagine the brawl of 1928 8-)

Haha for sure.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Re: Martial Secrets 5 - Simon Das Silat Pukulan

Postby marvin8 on Mon May 07, 2018 9:24 am

middleway wrote:
Although no video clips from that tournament 8-) I think in most minds nowadays the famous Taiji vs WhiteCrane masters full-contact fight might come to mind quite easy when trying to imagine the brawl of 1928 8-)

Haha for sure.

Some insight into the brawl of 1928.

Excerpt from "Lei Tai competitions – Kung Fu fighting in the good old days," https://nysanda.wordpress.com/2014/07/0 ... -old-days/:
David Ross wrote:Zhao Daoxin was a disciple of Zhang Zhaodong and was famous in Tianjin’s martial arts community. Zhao was only 20 at the time and at the beginning of his martial arts career, yet managed to achieve 13th place. His notes on the competition included these observations;

“Those ‘orthodox inheritors’ of traditional martial arts, regardless of whether they were lofty monks or local grandmasters, were either knocked out or scared out of the competition

Zhao also noted;

“Even though, at registration, every competitor identified themselves as belonging to a traditional style, every one of them engaged in secret auxiliary combat training

By the 1920’s both Western boxing and Japanese Judo had found there way to China and had made a huge impact on many martial artists. However, due to nationalistic and style pride, many did not openly admit to it!

Other examples of denial of reality manifested themselves at the event. The 2nd place winner, Chu Kao-Lou, openly admitted he also trained in Western boxing. One Taiji master complained that Chu’s fighting style was not using Chinese Martial Arts, to which Chu’s brother, Chu Kao-Chen, challenged the Taiji master. In respond, the Taiji master didn’t dare to accept that challenge.

Other quotes regarding the event

– 这次比赛没有看到高深的内功,没有发人于丈外的场面
You don’t see high level internal power, and Faijin that send people flying 10 feet away in this tournament.

– 太极打法毫无建树,四量难拨千斤
The Taiji principle didn’t work well. 4 oz could not defeat 1000 lb.

– 也就是说号称以巧取胜的中国功夫 实际上也是在跟人拚勇力比高大
The taller, heavier, stronger guys won in that tournament.

– 要学打擂台的拳术
After this tournament, people wanted to learn the style that can be used on the Leitai.
marvin8
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links