Martial Secrets 5 - Simon Das Silat Pukulan

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Martial Secrets 5 - Simon Das Silat Pukulan

Postby lineofintent on Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:32 pm

When I first met Simon Das almost 30 years ago, he was a notorious young streetfighter in a very racist town just north of London, using his Silat skills to keep alive.
As a young teenager he almost didn't, after a gang fight vs skinheads left him in a coma for a week.
After leaving hospital he sought out every Silat master he could - at that time Silat was still underground, no internet etc....
Guns, knives, gangs attacks in which not everyone survived, I met him at a time he was in the middle of all of this.
Decades passed - Guru Simon Das is now a lot calmer, older, wiser, his Silat is still hardcore and geared towards what works against the blade.
Long interview coming up soon -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMLTxKn ... e=youtu.be
lineofintent
Wuji

Re: Martial Secrets 5 - Simon Das Silat Pukulan

Postby C.J.W. on Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:02 pm

Nice. The footwork, hand techniques, and body positioning are almost identical to some of the hybrid southern CMA styles I've seen in Taiwan.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:32 pm

C.J.W. wrote:Nice. The footwork, hand techniques, and body positioning are almost identical to some of the hybrid southern CMA styles I've seen in Taiwan.

Do you feel that what is shown will work against people who know how to hit and move say like a boxer ect?
windwalker
Wuji

Postby MistyMonkeyMethod on Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:07 pm

I don't see how he would get his opponent to play his game. Without a bridge or something to draw the opponent in to his range I don't expect it would turn out too well, he doesn't seem to address the issue in the video.
“Make everything in you an ear, each atom of your being, and you will hear at every moment what the Source is whispering to you, just to you and for you, without any need for my words or anyone else’s.”— Rumi
MistyMonkeyMethod
Mingjing

Postby middleway on Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:34 am

Having met Simon and felt his skill. I have no doubts that he can deal with most people, skilled fighter or not.

Simon is a legitimate fighting expert, he and his students spar and work against real resistance. you are seeing him talk about a tiny fraction of his skill set here.

Thanks for the video Alex.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby MistyMonkeyMethod on Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:08 am

Thing is these sorts of videos are a dime a dozen on YouTube, opponent is static, standing with one arm out, while the "expert" moves around him at 2-3x the speed showing some technique, the opponent's other weapons usually don't come in to play until the expert asks for it.

It's not impressive, or not without knowing and feeling what the expert can do, something that does not come across by video, obviously.

Perhaps it's targeted at his students?

Doesn't do anything for me as a random viewer, nor do comments from other random viewers vouching for him. It's not a faith based thing for me. The way I see it, if you're going to put something out there for general public, you must understand you open yourself up to criticism, which is fine and respectable on some level, but then why not show something alive.

Seeing as you seem to know those people, perhaps it's worth mentioning it to them? Would likely be better for their school, and for viewers with no knowledge or experience of said expert. Other than being material for students, I don't see what purpose it serves, if the man is really skilled as you say, I'm sure he could do something much more alive and impressive than this. Sure, it may be 0.0001% of his system, but the above still stands.

This is the Internet after all, not a gym, dojo, etc.
Last edited by MistyMonkeyMethod on Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Make everything in you an ear, each atom of your being, and you will hear at every moment what the Source is whispering to you, just to you and for you, without any need for my words or anyone else’s.”— Rumi
MistyMonkeyMethod
Mingjing

Postby nicklinjm on Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:43 am

Think Misty Monkey is being a bit harsh. Can see from the video that Simon has skills, always controlling the opponent and anticipating the next attack. However, definitely agree it would be better if the demonstrations were more 'live', i.e. the student didn't just stand there after the first controlling move.
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby Overlord on Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:26 am

I am in trouble,
All I see is Heng Quan~from Xingyi
Overlord

Postby lineofintent on Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:51 am

Thanks everyone for sharing your views.

Simon Das will be teaching on a seminar on 26th May 2018 in Hatfield, UK - specifically looking at how to fight boxers, muay thai, other silat systems and your average crazy Friday-night hooligan.....using his Ksatriya Silat art, which as I mentioned, has kept him alive in countless real fights against sharp things, heavy blunt things, projectile things and other stuff that I won't put here due to legal reasons.

His main approach is with a blade in mind, using parry/destroy thrust strike.

Misty Money, SImon invites you personally to come along and he will answer any questions as well as he can - he promises you don't have to stand with your arm out.

On the same day there will be fighters from Chow Gar Mantis, Iron Ox Mantis, and I Liq Quan teaching, surely a good learning experience.

On the film I posted, and on all of my films, I put what the subject wants to show, not what countless types of viewers want to see - do not mistake what is shown in a demo for being the full extent of a person's skill or knowledge.

Keep in mind some of these guys are very experienced fighters - we will discuss Simon's life a little more in the full length interview coming up soon on Flying Monk Talk Show.

Wishing you all good training !

Al
lineofintent
Wuji

Postby MistyMonkeyMethod on Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:43 am

retreats108 wrote:Misty Money, SImon invites you personally to come along and he will answer any questions as well as he can - he promises you don't have to stand with your arm out.

Thanks for the invite, don't think it will be possible, contractual and logistical issues generally prevent me from dropping a few grand to fly out and see random people in far away countries, unless I'm already in the country, usually for work, but that's primarily in MENA.

As, I assume your friend, Middleway, said, Simon's group spars often etc, and as I understand you filmed this video. Perhaps, as Simon is your contact, you could ask, on my behalf, if you like, seeing as I can't accept your kind invite, to film some of these sparring sessions, so we can see how these techniques work in a more live environment, perhaps you could include a segment in the long interview. Sure, you did say you only film what your subjects want to show, however I'm not the one making any claims here, I'm asking for evidence of the stated expert skill. Yeah, definitely better to feel for oneself as I already stated, but that's not practical for anyone not in your vicinity.

End of the day, if you make claims (particularly in public) the burden of proof is not on me. And considering there are numerous live demos on YouTube of all manner of styles, showing alive training in a dynamic environment (earlier I posted 8 hours of such footage in another subject), you could say that videos such as above are substandard for showing claimed martial skill.

Don't you think it would be better for your friend too? Attract more students, spread knowledge? Etc?

I'm not trolling, these are genuine, practical questions and considerations.
Last edited by MistyMonkeyMethod on Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
MistyMonkeyMethod
Mingjing

Postby Tiga Pukul on Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:15 am

Some decent Silat in the movie there. I recognize typical Cimande drills and tactics. However i miss a bit (perhaps done deliberately) the most essential part of good Silat, which is Langkah (i.e. Footwork). Although the hard hitting on arm (limb descruction) is typical of Cimande, in the end footwork is more important. A bit like the boxer. We have several people of comparative skill in Holland so it looks quite familiar :). Not quite sure why he would call it also 'pukulan', but that discussion is a bit of a hornets' nest in Silat.
Last edited by Tiga Pukul on Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tiga Pukul
Huajing

Postby lineofintent on Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:24 am

Thanks Tiga Pukul, yes you are right, actually some of the Langkah is taught in the first couple of lessons of Simon's online course.

Mistymonkey, - I understand your view, but we did not post this to impress you or anyone else (we have no idea who you are), and if it 'doesn't do it for me as a random viewer' for you - please feel free to move on. Can you understand this point ?

Simon teaches very few inner-door students out of choice, although he is in regular demand to teach by groups around the world including 'professional groups' who need methods which work.

I think I have stated before - my aim with our films, books and living teachings is to educate and share knowledge of the traditional arts and culture, and to introduce otherwise little known (or well know) teachers.

Any real transmission will take place over years of a personal study with a living teacher.

Trying to learn techniques, or spiritual knowledge etc from Youtube videos , or even books, lacks substance and context without living contact, and will produce plastic fruit trees with no living roots.

These arts are a heart to heart transmission or oral transmission.

All of our online courses and teachings are just starting points, for those who really seek the Way they need to find a living Master.
lineofintent
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:59 am

Nothing m monkey says is wrong or rude
He is discussing the film you put up
If you wish him to discuss something different post something different
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby lineofintent on Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:10 am

You are right Wayne, and I didn't say it was wrong or rude - did I?

Mistymonkey is asking for something that I have not posted.

I cannot oblige him, because Simon replied that he will only show free fighting things in person, or on his online course.

If people don't like what is posted, please move on.

I have asked Simon, and he invited him to his seminar next month where he can personally answer any questions.
lineofintent
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:00 pm

retreats108 wrote:You are right Wayne, and I didn't say it was wrong or rude - did I?

Mistymonkey is asking for something that I have not posted.

I cannot oblige him, because Simon replied that he will only show free fighting things in person, or on his online course.

If people don't like what is posted, please move on.

I have asked Simon, and he invited him to his seminar next month where he can personally answer any questions.

I think your tone of response indicated that
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Next

Return to Video Links