Roy Goldberg doing Aiki age

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Roy Goldberg doing Aiki age

Postby jaime_g on Mon May 07, 2018 12:48 pm

https://youtu.be/N-zNMAb0huk

Beautiful work, also demonstrating vertical dantian rotation
Last edited by jaime_g on Mon May 07, 2018 12:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jaime_g
Wuji

Re: Roy Goldberg doing Aiki age

Postby Bill on Mon May 07, 2018 2:50 pm

Is there anyone in the L.A. area doing this sort of work? I need to experience this myself.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby C.J.W. on Mon May 07, 2018 6:04 pm

Bill wrote:Is there anyone in the L.A. area doing this sort of work? I need to experience this myself.

This sort of work is not unlike those spectacular PH or Qi-power demos because a certain degree of cooperation is required, namely that the partner is willingly providing (and not changing) their "frame" to receive energy.

Having said that, any good CIMAists should be able to replicate what is shown in that vid with ease.

Here's a HK-based Liuhebafa teacher doing similar (and arguably better ;) ) things based on the same principles. At 2:00 he shows how an upward expanding energy can be turned into a quick pulse and used to "shock" the opponent. (Notice how his partner is stunned temporarily and starts rubbing his neck to relieve the discomfort -- signs that the burst of energy was highly penetrative and traveled all the way up to the head.)

Last edited by C.J.W. on Mon May 07, 2018 8:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Mon May 07, 2018 10:57 pm

The difference between the 2 videos is the amount of elbow bend.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby willie on Tue May 08, 2018 1:19 pm

Such a pity to watch people who claim to be really something, work on such low level material and all the while, thinking that it's the real deal.
I wouldn't waist my time on that stuff.
Last edited by willie on Tue May 08, 2018 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby jaime_g on Tue May 08, 2018 1:33 pm

So you dont work on the first movement of every taichi form?
jaime_g
Wuji

Postby willie on Tue May 08, 2018 3:18 pm

jaime_g wrote:So you dont work on the first movement of every taichi form?

Jamie, I don't think that you realize the scope of the instruction that I received. So I will fill you in just a little bit. There was a brown belt under a National kickboxing champion who I met in MMA, who was also a purple belt. He came back to class telling real stories after getting his ass handed to him over and over and over again by some strange, very secretive, Tai Chi Master. That teacher is my sifu. What you are seeing in those videos is pretty much worthless for fighting. Sure it should be entertained as beginner stuff only.
Last edited by willie on Tue May 08, 2018 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby origami_itto on Tue May 08, 2018 5:19 pm

What I admire most about you, Willie, is your humility.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby willie on Tue May 08, 2018 7:51 pm

oragami_itto wrote:What I admire most about you, Willie, is your humility.

Thanks, your right i am being humble. I'm just not into b.s.
I understand that you meant that in a bad way and that's fine, I couldn't care less.
Last edited by willie on Tue May 08, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby C.J.W. on Tue May 08, 2018 11:59 pm

Gunpowder, by itself, only explodes and creates energy. But once you know how to put it in firearms and artillery, it is capable of powering deadly weapons of destruction.

By the same token, the vids are meant to demonstrate some of the mechanics and characteristics of rising/expanding and falling/compressing energies (or Peng and An in Taiji terms) -- NOT their fighting applications.

The short burst of rising energy we see in the second vid can be easily turned into an uppercut into the floating ribs, a nasty low front kick below the knee, or used to violently uproot an opponent in stand-up grappling; the falling/compressing energy in the first vid, on the other hand, can be done on someone coming in for a single/double-leg by stuffing them to the ground, or applied in a choke or neck crank to cause serious damage.

The possibilities are......truly endless if you know what to do with them.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby jaime_g on Wed May 09, 2018 2:04 am

+1. Aiki age-sage can be demonstrated using any body part, for strikes, throws, chokes, and locks. My favourite option is a muay thai type of clinch using aiki age-sage mechanics.

The rising from the wrist grab thing isnt the only thing Roy does, it's just the way Daito Ryu starts teaching it, just as Taichi starts rising hands.
Last edited by jaime_g on Wed May 09, 2018 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
jaime_g
Wuji

Postby willie on Wed May 09, 2018 6:30 am

jaime_g wrote:+1. Aiki age-sage can be demonstrated using any body part, for strikes, throws, chokes, and locks. My favourite option is a muay thai type of clinch using aiki age-sage mechanics.

The rising from the wrist grab thing isnt the only thing Roy does, it's just the way Daito Ryu starts teaching it, just as Taichi starts rising hands.

Hey that's great, do you have a video of yourself so I can see?
willie

Postby willie on Wed May 09, 2018 6:36 am

C.J.W. wrote:Gunpowder, by itself, only explodes and creates energy. But once you know how to put it in firearms and artillery, it is capable of powering deadly weapons of destruction.

By the same token, the vids are meant to demonstrate some of the mechanics and characteristics of rising/expanding and falling/compressing energies (or Peng and An in Taiji terms) -- NOT their fighting applications.

The short burst of rising energy we see in the second vid can be easily turned into an uppercut into the floating ribs, a nasty low front kick below the knee, or used to violently uproot an opponent in stand-up grappling; the falling/compressing energy in the first vid, on the other hand, can be done on someone coming in for a single/double-leg by stuffing them to the ground, or applied in a choke or neck crank to cause serious damage.

The possibilities are......truly endless if you know what to do with them.

Okay, what I didn't like about the video wasn't that there wasn't something there that someone should be shown. it was the reaction of the larger opponent that I don't like. I feel that it is very misleading as it suggests that that is the type of reaction that anyone that he applies it on would have . Knowing that none of that stuff works on me, it's hard to sit back, open up a box of popcorn and enjoy the show.
willie

Postby Yugen on Wed May 09, 2018 9:28 am

C.J.W. wrote:
Bill wrote:Is there anyone in the L.A. area doing this sort of work? I need to experience this myself.

This sort of work is not unlike those spectacular PH or Qi-power demos because a certain degree of cooperation is required, namely that the partner is willingly providing (and not changing) their "frame" to receive energy.

Having said that, any good CIMAists should be able to replicate what is shown in that vid with ease.

Here's a HK-based Liuhebafa teacher doing similar (and arguably better ;) ) things based on the same principles. At 2:00 he shows how an upward expanding energy can be turned into a quick pulse and used to "shock" the opponent. (Notice how his partner is stunned temporarily and starts rubbing his neck to relieve the discomfort -- signs that the burst of energy was highly penetrative and traveled all the way up to the head.)

I just see him connecting to his back at the outset. He's wearing a belt with a very visible buckle. It does not move up or down, which I would take to mean he's not rolling dantian up and down.
Last edited by Yugen on Wed May 09, 2018 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan
Seattle, WA
Yugen
Mingjing

Postby Yugen on Wed May 09, 2018 9:40 am

willie wrote:
jaime_g wrote:So you dont work on the first movement of every taichi form?

Jamie, I don't think that you realize the scope of the instruction that I received. So I will fill you in just a little bit. There was a brown belt under a National kickboxing champion who I met in MMA, who was also a purple belt. He came back to class telling real stories after getting his ass handed to him over and over and over again by some strange, very secretive, Tai Chi Master. That teacher is my sifu. What you are seeing in those videos is pretty much worthless for fighting. Sure it should be entertained as beginner stuff only.

All these secretive Internal Master's and their fighting abilities.... yet where are they? What's their fight record? Why so secret...
Mention someone like Tim Cartmell, with a verifiable fight record and you hear... "he doesn't move with 6H", "he does basic stuff"

Who are the MMA fighters with records that you Sifu has taught?

As to the video content being worthless for fighting... well of course it is! The purpose is to teach basics of body connection... not to raise your arms with your spindle shoulder muscles, but to use the whole body. To develop a connected body.. A guy training fighting with a connected body will probably do better than one with not... depends on a lot of other factors too. Note, Roy is teaching white belts in that video..

I play with dantian rotation and arm connection to thwart guys trying to sweep me with spider guard... it's effective... of course it's sparring with defined rules, so it's limited in scope..
Ryan
Seattle, WA
Yugen
Mingjing

Next

Return to Video Links