Tai Chi Notebook course

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Tai Chi Notebook course

Postby GrahamB on Fri May 18, 2018 12:14 pm

You might enjoy this, you might not, but I'm posting one video a week showing you how to do that secret Tai Chi stuff ;)

https://taichinotebook.wordpress.com/20 ... -launched/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV3DaNZz3hI

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Re: Tai Chi Notebook course

Postby Bao on Fri May 18, 2018 8:44 pm

Thanks for sharing. I liked it. Good quality on the video, nicely done. 8-)

Not a big fan of speaking about meridians together with Tai Chi form practice, but you show that if you look at Tai Chi from a Qigong POV, which of course is what most people do, you can use this theory to make a good point that makes sense in a more practical manner.
... and the woo woo-ers will love it.. ;D
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Fri May 18, 2018 10:55 pm

Thanks Bao. My aim is to make these light on theory and big on practice. Inevitably week 1 has the most theory.

They are a lot of work but they are also fun to do and it forces me to clarify my thinking.

Have recorded 4 weeks worth so far!
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Subitai on Fri May 18, 2018 11:10 pm

Thanks for sharing your stuff Graham...

I'm just curious if you've ever heard of or use (in your teaching) the concept of pinky finger aligned with ulna bone and index finger to radius bone?

For ex. In your exercise...(you're turning clockwise) . for that Direction, i lead with the ulna bone. Yes at around 9 - 10 oclock.my hand must turn over from heaven palm to facing down (earth) in order to continue this focus....but thats how i feel the changes.

Of course. Counter clockwise...i lead with the radius. Just an outsider observation.

Look forward to your next vid
Subitai
Huajing

Postby GrahamB on Fri May 18, 2018 11:17 pm

Thanks Subitai.

No, I've never heard of that. My concern in the video is to feel a connection from little finger to little toe on an outward push (open) and from big toe to thumb on an inward pull.(close)

What is your purpose in aligning with radius and ulnar?
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby HotSoup on Sat May 19, 2018 5:52 am

Subitai wrote:I'm just curious if you've ever heard of or use (in your teaching) the concept of pinky finger aligned with ulna bone and index finger to radius bone?

That's interesting, I was taught in a similar, though not identical way. Instead of focusing on the forearm bones (sides?), I was taught to focus on the middle finger and the pinky. The middle finger leads ascending movements, while pinky leads all descending ones. All this allows to focus on stretching in all arm joints, including the smallest of the fingers.
HotSoup
Anjing

Postby Subitai on Sat May 19, 2018 9:53 am

That's what I get for posting past 1am! Nobody is right or wrong here...at least for me anyway. It's just that Graham felt like sharing so I said, "why the hell not???" ;D

I focus on the pinky and index finger as well...sorry for the confusion. What I was getting at is, it's also that they are aligned with the bones. Then as a result, the connection is pure.

To think of the 2 forearm bones as entirely as one unified arm is good in it's own way. But you can also think of them as individuals or independent. Yang and yin ...or full and not full...whatever gets you there.

Think of 2 ropes laying side by side...even with some tension pulling them taught, they are still independent of eachother. Now twist the bones(ala aligned with and using the pinky or index fingers) and affect the change you desire in a posture, an application or even in qi gong. The bones twist and connect. It's like open and close...with the forearm bones (with peng/expand and relax)

Even the "tigers Mouth" has open and close in my form. For us in Sun style, you'll see the "tigers mouth" is a bit more closed in Bagua...with the center of the palm being more hollow and deep. In Xing Yi, it's far more open and flat. In Taiji it's kinda middle between those 2 more relaxed. Much more for me personally, since I concentrate moreso on my Taiji...but my Tigers mouth definitely opens and closes throughout the form.

For us when the connection is pure, (or potent, or alive...) all the way to the finger tips...then it will be also correct down to the feet = upon testing.
Subitai
Huajing

Postby GrahamB on Sat May 19, 2018 10:58 am

Btw if anybody is feeling brave and wants to post their attempts at an arm circle on this thread I can provide some feedback.
Last edited by GrahamB on Sat May 19, 2018 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby zhenwu on Sat May 19, 2018 3:53 pm

Looking Forward for the next Video =)
Short, crisp.. nice to watch!
zhenwu
Santi

Postby I-mon on Sat May 19, 2018 4:47 pm

Great!
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sat May 19, 2018 9:45 pm

Thanks! - will post the next one on Monday, then every Monday going forward.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Sun May 20, 2018 12:58 am

My concern in the video is to feel a connection from little finger to little toe on an outward push (open) and from big toe to thumb on an inward pull.(close)

This is the same idea for me too linking thumb via qihai and and little finger via mingmen, with the additional focus of the middle finger, which provides an 'axis' marker for the arm, useful in drilling, winding etc.

But I have met people with some of the other alignment concepts on the thread. Notably aligning the little finger and thumb to the ulna and radius when creating the 'piercing palms'.

Thanks for sharing your perspective Graham.
Last edited by middleway on Sun May 20, 2018 2:02 am, edited 6 times in total.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sun May 20, 2018 1:16 am

Little finger aligned with the ulna is what Jack Dempsey called the “power line”.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sun May 20, 2018 11:40 pm

Here's week 2 - looking at where you power the movements from in the body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uvwNUT ... e=youtu.be

Don't be shy to post your attempts guys!
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Steve Rowe on Mon May 21, 2018 3:04 am

Short, sharp, nice and clear, plain language, starting with a good connection exercise that engages the whole body, I like it.
If you see someone without a smile - give 'em one of yours...
Steve Rowe
Wuji

Next

Return to Video Links