Tai Chi Notebook course

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Tai Chi Notebook course

Postby GrahamB on Mon May 21, 2018 3:36 am

Thanks Steve - that's my aim, to make it pretty direct, straight to the point and not use a lot of buzzwords - or the least amount I can get away with ;D
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Franklin on Mon May 21, 2018 3:53 am

Graham

nice vids
thanks for sharing

I am not trolling you -- but interested..
i thought you did a variation of yang style and or (li style maybe)
actually when i first clicked through to see the vid i was looking forward to seeing how you do internal stuff in your yang style
and I saw it was chen silk reeling..

is it just a better vehicle for what you want to get across?

franklin
Franklin
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Mon May 21, 2018 4:14 am

Hi Franklin,

Good question. Tai Chi is Tai Chi to me - I don't see the need to make it style dependant. I think the exercise I'm showing is a good one for teaching 'how to move in Tai Chi' because it's pretty basic - anybody should be able to do it-, but at the same time it can contain all the principles, even really difficult ones, but since you are practicing them within a simple framework of repeated movement you have a better chance of 'getting it' than if you were trying to do it in a 'form'.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Ron Panunto on Mon May 21, 2018 9:52 am

Great stuff GrahamB.
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Tue May 22, 2018 2:11 am

Ron Panunto wrote:Great stuff GrahamB.

Thanks Ron. As I'm making them I'm finding them increasingly difficult to do and present the information in a simple way....but I'm trying... - the difficulty level really ramps up a lot with week 4 onwards, so enjoy the easy ones now while you can :)
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby willie on Fri May 25, 2018 8:10 am

Isn't this the same guy that gave me crap about my videos?
It's a bird! No, it's a plane! No, it's just Graham B working on Chinese jumping jacks.
Last edited by willie on Fri May 25, 2018 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
willie

Postby GrahamB on Fri May 25, 2018 8:23 am

I don't have your super villain lair/ice palace to practice in Willie, but I have installed a little Buddha statue. I think he pops up in Week 3.

Baby steps ;D
Last edited by GrahamB on Fri May 25, 2018 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby willie on Fri May 25, 2018 9:19 am

You mean there's more to come? And a Buddha statue as well! Simply smashing... hell, you'll have the taichi community up in fighting and no time!
willie

Postby Trick on Fri May 25, 2018 10:54 am

But Taiji is taoist??
Trick

Postby GrahamB on Fri May 25, 2018 11:13 am

Trick - the Yang family were good Catholics.

Willie - the clue is in “8 week course” :) as if I’d leave you all hanging without revealing ALL the secrets of Tai Chi?
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby charles on Fri May 25, 2018 11:16 am

willie wrote:Isn't this the same guy that gave me crap about my videos?
It's a bird! No, it's a plane! No, it's just Graham B working on Chinese jumping jacks.

Yes, it is. Same guy who "gave me crap" about mine as well.

You mean there's more to come?

Eight segments, total.

I applaud Graham - and anyone else - for putting the effort into trying to explain what they do and know and be willing to put it "out there" for public viewing and critique. I find it very insightful into understanding where one is coming from.

From Graham's comments, it appears he has found insightful how difficult it can be deciding what and how to present his material. It will likely give him a greater appreciation for what others have also gone through in their attempts to do the same.

I have a number of questions regarding what Graham has shown but will wait until I've viewed all eight segments before asking them. I'll ask them in a constructive way with a focus on promoting respectful discussion, something that might be an interesting and educational exchange.
Last edited by charles on Fri May 25, 2018 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
charles
Wuji

Postby charles on Fri May 25, 2018 11:21 am

Trick wrote:But Taiji is taoist??

No, it's toast.

"Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic insomniac? He stayed up all night wondering if there was a dog."
charles
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Fri May 25, 2018 11:38 am

charles wrote:
Yes, it is. Same guy who "gave me crap" about mine as well.

Well I'm sorry you feel that way Charles. I had thought I'd managed to suggest that I didn't agree with your ideas at the same time as saying "well done" for posting them. It's a little disappointing that you feel that way.

When it comes to publishing I'm with Seneca in "On Anger" when he wrote a note to himself (in the third person) after feeling aggrieved about a criticism he'd received:

"He has heard that someone has spoken ill of the his writing and he starts treating this critic as an enemy. But then he starts thinking of all the people whose writing he himself has criticised. Would he want all of them to think of him an an enemy? Certainly not. Seneca's conclusion: If you are going to publish, you must be willing to tolerate criticism."

And yes - this has been a real "head trip" - trying to arrange something with the constraints of 8 parts and making it coherent. It gives me a new appreciation of people who have done it before. It's all been valuable research to me ("if we knew what we were doing we wouldn't call it 'research' "- as somebody famous once said).

Willie - I have never (I think????) actually criticised the content of you videos - the Tai Chi, it looks "ok" to me - just your bombastic Trumpian posting style ;)
Last edited by GrahamB on Fri May 25, 2018 11:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby charles on Fri May 25, 2018 12:04 pm

GrahamB wrote:Well I'm sorry you feel that way Charles. I had thought I'd managed to suggest that I didn't agree with your ideas at the same time as saying "well done" for posting them. It's a little disappointing that you feel that way.

I should have included a " ;) "

Honestly, I don't feel that way.

"...If you are going to publish, you must be willing to tolerate criticism."

I agree.

And yes - this has been a real "head trip" - trying to arrange something with the constraints of 8 parts and making it coherent. It gives me a new appreciation of people who have done it before. It's all been valuable research to me ("if we knew what we were doing we wouldn't call it 'research' "- as somebody famous once said).

I spent five years trying to figure out what I wanted to include, and how I wanted to present it, in 100 minutes on the subject of "silk reeling". In all the deliberation, I was never able to create what I considered the "perfect" presentation. I eventually realized that if I continued to strive for "perfect" the video would never get made: I finally went with "as good as I can make it". I wish it was better, but I think it has some merit for the beginners at which it was aimed. I knew at the onset that it would be the most difficult part of my five-part series of videos.
Last edited by charles on Fri May 25, 2018 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
charles
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Fri May 25, 2018 12:11 pm

5 years? Seriously, this took me a week. For me that's a long time.

lol ;D

But seriously, I'm only doing quick 3-5 minute videos at a time.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links