Tai Chi Notebook course

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Tai Chi Notebook course

Postby BruceP on Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:30 am

GrahamB wrote:Bruce, I may be off the rails, but I know where the train is going ;)

I'm just working through the material and offering some feedback. Lesson 4 does delve into the realm of feels (as will inevitably happen when breath is incorporated into most movement-based learning), and it can become a bit tangled at that point.

Reverse breath can be explored 'functionally' from a relaxed crunch (legs extended) with the hands held (palms facing like holding a ball) at 3/4 arms-length above the throat/upper chest. It can be further explored from the same partial/relaxed crunch while placing one of your heels on the floor and the opposite palm (left heel & right palm - slight bend in the grounded leg and arm), and lightly pushing/lifting against the floor equally with both.
Last edited by BruceP on Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:59 am, edited 6 times in total.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:38 am

OK, so to recap, we've started off looking at building the elastic connection along the channels. We've looked at relaxing the lower back and getting the power to come from the lower body. We've talked about not compromising the movement in the arms. We've added in reverse breathing. Now we're going to try to keep all that and get the movement to be directed from the middle of the body - the dantien.

Week 5: Moving from the middle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6tM4UO_S0s

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Overlord on Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:16 am

行家一出手,就知有沒有。
Graham, this is the best grinding force depicted in a CM video.
I was taught this called 碾勁~

The subtleties of this clip I consider one of the highest quality accomplished.
And this set apart the rest by far~ and definitely not macdojo Taiji.
Overlord

Postby BruceP on Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:29 am

GrahamB wrote:OK, so to recap, we've started off looking at building the elastic connection along the channels. We've looked at relaxing the lower back and getting the power to come from the lower body. We've talked about not compromising the movement in the arms. We've added in reverse breathing. Now we're going to try to keep all that and get the movement to be directed from the middle of the body - the dantien.

Week 5: Moving from the middle

Tried the square into circle exercise.

Corn-grinding is similar, but with horizontal, reciprocating movement from the center. It also gets people hitting from their center in short order/on the same day.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:07 am

Thanks Bruce. The arm circle is more of a vertical circle. If you were striking with it it would be more like a Pi Chuan downward/forward strike.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby taiwandeutscher on Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:00 am

Overlord wrote:

行家一出手,就知有沒有。
Graham, this is the best grinding force depicted in a CM video.
I was taught this called 碾勁~

The subtleties of this clip I consider one of the highest quality accomplished.
And this set apart the rest by far~ and definitely not macdojo Taiji.

Thanks, Overlord, my Xuezhang, my school!
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Postby Overlord on Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:19 am

In the time when people are obsessedly talking over merde, treating it like gold,
it’s sometimes ideal to honestly show some quality of true gold.
So the people are not confused.
Just being honest. Good quality stuff.
Overlord

Postby I-mon on Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:15 pm

Thanks for the video Overlord, it's very nice. I think it's very easy on the internet to get into the habit of looking at something and straight away commenting on what you think is bad about it. We could just as easily look at the video you shared and pour scorn on this guy who's put in god knows how many hours of work and effort and say what a fucking waste of time, he couldn't fight a strong teenager with a year's MMA training, he could have probably earned three science degrees in the amount of time he's spent practicing that silly little dance.

It's very, very easy to criticise is all I'm saying, and it doesn't help anything. Graham's making an attempt to simplify and systematise his understanding of the most basic level of taiji practice, trying to work out which concepts might be most useful for an absolute beginner trying to sort through the confusion of mixed messages they might be exposed to. The effort should be commended, in my opinion. He's not at any point stating that he has perfected any of the things he is talking about, so jumping in with unsolicited criticism is pretty rude, IMO. It's almost like we don't actually want to see each other's work? Or we don't want people to share and discuss ideas, unless they've all been perfected?

I've been on here saying that G's shit is fake for years, by the way.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby Overlord on Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:01 pm

I-mon wrote:Thanks for the video Overlord, it's very nice. I think it's very easy on the internet to get into the habit of looking at something and straight away commenting on what you think is bad about it. We could just as easily look at the video you shared and pour scorn on this guy who's put in god knows how many hours of work and effort and say what a fucking waste of time, he couldn't fight a strong teenager with a year's MMA training, he could have probably earned three science degrees in the amount of time he's spent practicing that silly little dance.

It's very, very easy to criticise is all I'm saying, and it doesn't help anything. Graham's making an attempt to simplify and systematise his understanding of the most basic level of taiji practice, trying to work out which concepts might be most useful for an absolute beginner trying to sort through the confusion of mixed messages they might be exposed to. The effort should be commended, in my opinion. He's not at any point stating that he has perfected any of the things he is talking about, so jumping in with unsolicited criticism is pretty rude, IMO. It's almost like we don't actually want to see each other's work? Or we don't want people to share and discuss ideas, unless they've all been perfected?

I've been on here saying that G's shit is fake for years, by the way.

Imon,
My apologies to who ever got offended by my post first of all.
I need to be more sensitive to how others feel and not to criticise too harshly/without given a thought.
Thanks for the reminder.
Over
Overlord

Postby taiwandeutscher on Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:05 pm

[quote="I-mon"]Thanks for the video Overlord, it's very nice. I think it's very easy on the internet to get into the habit of looking at something and straight away commenting on what you think is bad about it. We could just as easily look at the video you shared and pour scorn on this guy who's put in god knows how many hours of work and effort and say what a fucking waste of time, he couldn't fight a strong teenager with a year's MMA training, he could have probably earned three science degrees in the amount of time he's spent practicing that silly little dance.

...quote]

;D LMAO!
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:53 am

Happy Father's Day (UK version :) )

To celebrate Father's Day I've got my oldest son in this episode, providing a bit of feedback for me to work with. This week we look at the role of the mind in directing forces to your feet (the ground) and sending them back out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Lt0JBgEpLo

The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:03 am

Outtakes! Proving Tai Chi works in 'da streets'. In this exclusive clip of outtakes from my Tai Chi course I show how to use Peng Jin against a kick to the groin and a variety of other attacks including bribery, throwing shade and street dance. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gHGyuSkf-U
Last edited by GrahamB on Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby AIY on Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:13 pm

Okay you proved that Tai chi works on the streets, but I'd like to know if it works against Chitos.
AIY
Santi

Postby I-mon on Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:15 pm

GrahamB wrote:Happy Father's Day (UK version :) )

To celebrate Father's Day I've got my oldest son in this episode, providing a bit of feedback for me to work with. This week we look at the role of the mind in directing forces to your feet (the ground) and sending them back out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Lt0JBgEpLo

Nice progression. I was thinking it was time to get some partner work in the mix.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:42 am

Thanks guys. I'm trying things out here. The feedback has been really useful in molding my approach to presenting this information. And encouragement helps too.

I've already got an idea for a new jin-based training exercise.... I think I'll work on that next...

Two more parts to go, on this course first though. Sunday for the next one!
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links